Boat explodes in Bristol Harbour

frangar

Featured Posts

Bit of lesson to us all to be extra careful when changing gas cylinders.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-40991534

Went to an open day at Evesham fire station yesterday where they put a heat source on a small disposable camping gaz cylinder. You wouldn't have wanted to be close to it! 

Added a link to a video on Facebook for those that can access 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/narrowboatusers/permalink/10159428749195352/

Edited by frangar
Spelling!

2 hours ago, Heartland said:

According to BBC News the emergency services were called to the Scene near the Mud Dock. Police said the accident happened on the Roehampton, when a gas cylinder was being changed

Didn't an Ownership boat have a problem when changing a cylinder some years ago on the canals?

Yes, I remember Allen Matthews talking about it at one of the owners meetings in the late 90's. 

IIRC, the shareholder was changing a bottle that he thought was empty but it wasn't, and he also failed to turn the bottle off at its tap.

When he removed the hose the gas rushed outo of the bottle and he dropped the bottle onto the semi-trad deck. The bottle ended up on its side, with gas rushing into the boat via the open rear door. His partner turned a light on (or off) which ignited the gas. It blew all the windows out and distorted the shell. A passerby wrestled the bottle off the rear deck and into the canal.

Fortunately the shareholder and his partner only suffered minor burns.

My guess was that he was new to boating and no one had shown him how to safely change a bottle and test for leaks.

5 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Yes, I remember Allen Matthews talking about it at one of the owners meetings in the late 90's. 

IIRC, the shareholder was changing a bottle that he thought was empty but it wasn't, and he also failed to turn the bottle off at its tap.

When he removed the hose the gas rushed outo of the bottle and he dropped the bottle onto the semi-trad deck. The bottle ended up on its side, with gas rushing into the boat via the open rear door. His partner turned a light on (or off) which ignited the gas. It blew all the windows out and distorted the shell. A passerby wrestled the bottle off the rear deck and into the canal.

Fortunately the shareholder and his partner only suffered minor burns.

My guess was that he was new to boating and no one had shown him how to safely change a bottle and test for leaks.

Nice to know that at my age I am not imagining things, well not everything. :captain:

1 hour ago, DHutch said:

Must have been a big bag to cause sufficient damage to sink it? Unless that was fire hoses? Take care people!

Daniel

Looking at the way it's blown the deck guards off both sides i wouldn't be suprised if there was hull damage too. I suggest that as there's little sign of fire damage then porobably not hoses.

It looks like the boat next door just has a cylinder sitting on the deck......not in a locker. So any escaping gas could go anywhere.....

IIRC, boat was Sillohette, I remember the painter (can't remember who it was) wanting to do the logo on the sides, which was the shape of a boat stern entering a tunnel, with slightly bulging sides.