Question related to buying a narrow boat

Tring Man

Featured Posts

My wife and I are intending to buy our first narrow boat (second hand), but having seen a few I have a question related to the working of such things as the engine, central heating, hot water, cooker, fridge, inverter etc. I know that the surveyor will check the hull, and assume he will check the engine visually, but will the survey include actually starting/running it? Does the surveyor check the alternator actually charges the batteries and the inverter works? Same question related to the appliances working? 

Sorry if this seems a stupid question, but my nearest related experience are related to house or car purchase when you can check such things yourself. Not sure where I stand if I buy narrow boat and then find inverter doesn't work, or gas supply to cooker leaking/broken. 

Any advice welcome. 

Regards 

Alan 

The surveyor will check whatever you pay him to check - if you want a 'full' Hull, machinery and gear' survey it will cost more than just a Hull survey.

Speak with the surveyor and explain that you want to know everything is 'working' then he can give you a price for that service.

If you just ask for a 'Hull survey' then that is what you will get.

The small print on many surveyors documents state (something to the effect of) 'we cannot confirm anything which we cannot access without tools, and we do not lift carpets, remove panels etc etc'.

Again ask the surveyor what he will / will not check and comment on - better to find out / negotiate first than be disappointed when its 'too late'.

Edit to add (from personal experience)

If you subsequently find something is not as the surveyor said it was then you will have no 'come-back' on the surveyor. I tried to take a surveyor to court following his failing to identify faults costing £20,000+ to rectify, and was told by my Solicitor that I didn't have a hope-in-hell of winning due to the 'small print' in the T&Cs.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

When you've found a boat you like, it's well worth asking on here of someone will come with you to check it out. If it's in Mercia after the beginning of October, for example, I'd be happy to help. It's not a substitute for a survey, but can be reassuring and costs nowt.

• Happy 2

Following on Alan's comments above  - it's worth finding a 'well respected surveyor' to do a survey AND be present when he  carries it out. You'll learn a lot!

Finding such a person can be a challenge if you don't know where to start... You could ask on here - but you'll need to give an approximate location. It makes sense to contact likely contacts by 'phone to see if there's a "meeting of minds"

Add: Offers to help from forum members are also invaluable......

Edited by OldGoat

2 hours ago, Tring Man said:

Appreciate your feedback, I will try to find a good surveyor. Steve Hand seems to get good feedback, I will start with him. 

If he is available, look no further! I used him for our purchase in 2011, and he is every bit as good as I expected from recommendations here.

He didn't save me his survey fee by finding things to negotiate the price, but he confirmed that the boat was worth about £7,000 more than I was paying :)

He pointed out a number of fairly minor things that would need some attention, all of which came to fruition over the next few years, and there have been no surprises where he missed something.