Winding end of Ashby canal.

Boat&Bikes

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, ianali said:

What is the maximum length of boat that can wind at the current canal end please? Thanks, Ian. 

If you mean before the swing bridge then I believe that is a full size hole so presumably 70 foot.

If you mean after the new bridge at the end of the extension opened 3 or 4 (?) years ago then it's 52 foot. 

4 hours ago, ianali said:

What is the maximum length of boat that can wind at the current canal end please? Thanks, Ian. 

We winded there on Thursday night last week and we are 63 ft. There was a loads of room to turn the boat. The boat in front was a 71 ft and he got round no problem but the helm was an expert (unlike me). Also the winding hole is well built with good wooden surroundings - ie no mud to get stuck in - and there was no problem with shallow bits. If its windy, you will just get pushed onto the wooden boards on the bank (you can then get off and rope the boat round). Has to be the easiest winding hole we have come across in our 'limited' experience.

The visitor moorings were full up there at the end though. .....but lots of room on the moorings near the Globe pub.

3 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

We winded there on Thursday night last week and we are 63 ft. There was a loads of room to turn the boat. The boat in front was a 71 ft and he got round no problem but the helm was an expert (unlike me). Also the winding hole is well built with good wooden surroundings - ie no mud to get stuck in - and there was no problem with shallow bits. If its windy, you will just get pushed onto the wooden boards on the bank (you can then get off and rope the boat round). Has to be the easiest winding hole we have come across in our 'limited' experience.

The visitor moorings were full up there at the end though. .....but lots of room on the moorings near the Globe pub.

Are you referring to the winding hole by the services and the Ashby society hut because your description fits there? 

As Mr Beethoven says there is another winding hole at the end of the newly built extension which I understand is a lot smaller.  I am sure that when I looked at it last year I could not wind at 57ft. 

12 hours ago, reg said:

Are you referring to the winding hole by the services and the Ashby society hut because your description fits there? 

As Mr Beethoven says there is another winding hole at the end of the newly built extension which I understand is a lot smaller.  I am sure that when I looked at it last year I could not wind at 57ft. 

Yes, the one at the ashby society hut. There was a locked swing bridge there so I thought that was as far as we could go. Chatting to one of the parked boats there, they said you could go through the bridge if you were a member of the Ashby soc.We weren't so we didn't.

13 hours ago, ianali said:

Thanks both. Must have passed you recently then Dr Bob. It's lovely along here isn't it . 

Yes, lovely canal. We will be back. See you next time.

9 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Yes, the one at the ashby society hut. There was a locked swing bridge there so I thought that was as far as we could go. Chatting to one of the parked boats there, they said you could go through the bridge if you were a member of the Ashby soc.We weren't so we didn't.

Yes, lovely canal. We will be back. See you next time.

My understanding, borne out by my experience Easter 2016, and by the Ashby Canal Association website is...

1 the swing bridge is locked by the standard BW key

2 anyone can go through but the mooring is only for 48 hours unless you are a member

3 the winding hole at the end is not full size, about 50' according to the website although I seem to recall a sign at the bridge stating 52'. We are only 45' so we had no problem.

It's not unheard of for larger boats to go to the end but obviously this requires lots of reversing along a sweeping bend.

Have any of you lot spotted little WotEver anywhere up the Ashby? Since we sold her that was the last reported location and we were told that she was looking somewhat sorry for herself which is a shame. 

29 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Have any of you lot spotted little WotEver anywhere up the Ashby? Since we sold her that was the last reported location and we were told that she was looking somewhat sorry for herself which is a shame. 

Nope, not seen this trip. The name would have rung a bell!!

33 minutes ago, MrBeethoven said:

My understanding, borne out by my experience Easter 2016, and by the Ashby Canal Association website is...

2 anyone can go through but the mooring is only for 48 hours unless you are a member

3 the winding hole at the end is not full size, about 50' according to the website although I seem to recall a sign at the bridge stating 52'. We are only 45' so we had no problem.

It's not unheard of for larger boats to go to the end but obviously this requires lots of reversing along a sweeping bend.

Ah, I will remember that for next time. No one was moored through the gate so easy to reverse through. Thanks.

36 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Not seen it since last time at Trinity, been into the marina a couple of times also for pump outs and not noticed it, but then it could have moved deeper into the marina, last time it was on the towpath moorings outside the pub.

3 hours ago, MrBeethoven said:

That seems to accurately reflect my understanding. The main point being, for me, is that you can ask for the  swing bridge to opened or open it yourself  and then Moor the other side if you want.  If you are over 50ft? (possibly 52ft best to check) then you will have to reverse out. Handy to know if moorings are not vacant at service point side of bridge. 

Nice spot and I always found the volunteers to be a friendly group. Tip if you use Blue then stock up whilst you are there, very good price and supports the group

Edited by reg

13 hours ago, MrBeethoven said:

We went to the end and back, its an easy reverse even if you are not very good at it as there is a hard edge all the way and you can walk the boat along that if necessary. We can't wind at the end.  Just think, if we don't use it it will have some plant grow in it and they will make it an SSSI

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

We went to the end and back, its an easy reverse even if you are not very good at it as there is a hard edge all the way and you can walk the boat along that if necessary. We can't wind at the end.  Just think, if we don't use it it will have some plant grow in it and they will make it an SSSI

If I had a boat too long to turn at the end I think would give this a go but reversing on the way up, partly to get the harder bit out of the way at the start and partly because I would be able to abort at any point if it was too hard, though that's unlikely with the option of hauling it along.

On 21/08/2017 at 12:06, reg said:

That seems to accurately reflect my understanding. The main point being, for me, is that you can ask for

Nice spot and I always found the volunteers to be a friendly group. Tip if you use Blue then stock up whilst you are there, very good price and supports the group

+ 1 about the blue - we used that as an excuse as to why we had to go through the little tunnel once! 

18 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Isn't much of the Ashby an SSSI? 

My memory (from September last year) is also that the winding hole at the current terminus has a limit of 52'.

The swing bridge is, I think, kept closed under normal circumstances because it gives access to the Society's copiously-stocked shop. I do seem to recall that there was a dangerous aspect to the bridge; I can't remember exactly what it was, but treat it with care.