Ashby Canal during Shackerstone Festival week

Lily Rose

Featured Posts

We've now been back home almost a week after our 33 day trip from Napton to Abingdon and Lechlade and back so it must be time for another holiday.

We have about 20 days available, starting this coming Tuesday, and I like to cruise about 3 or 4 hours a day on average. I had been thinking about going from Napton up to Snarestone at the top of the Ashby as we haven't been there since Easter 2016. 

However, I've recently realised that the Shackerstone Festival is on during the weekend of 2/3 September which coincides with the time I would expect to be at that end of the Ashby.

So now I'm thinking of delaying that trip until next Easter and going up to Atherstone and beyond instead. I went up as far as Athersone on a hire boat in 2011 but the locks and beyond would be new territory for me so I'm thinking of going as far as Fazeley junction, and perhaps on to Fradley junction* depending on where we are after about 8 days.

I'd be interested in any input from the team, particularly regarding what the Ashby will be like around the festival time and also regarding the alternative of Atherstone to Fazeley and possibly Fradley (or possibly further still if there's time without rushing it).

I'm not looking for any other alternatives for this trip as I've done all the other routes from Napton (with the exception of the GU south from Norton junction which is planned for next year).

Thanks in advance for any input.

* though I hear that Fradley may be full up!

Edited by MrBeethoven
Add a little bit

4 hours ago, MrBeethoven said:

We've now been back home almost a week after our 33 day trip from Napton to Abingdon and Lechlade and back so it must be time for another holiday.

We have about 20 days available, starting this coming Tuesday, and I like to cruise about 3 or 4 hours a day on average. I had been thinking about going from Napton up to Snarestone at the top of the Ashby as we haven't been there since Easter 2016. 

However, I've recently realised that the Shackerstone Festival is on during the weekend of 2/3 September which coincides with the time I would expect to be at that end of the Ashby.

So now I'm thinking of delaying that trip until next Easter and going up to Atherstone and beyond instead. I went up as far as Athersone on a hire boat in 2011 but the locks and beyond would be new territory for me so I'm thinking of going as far as Fazeley junction, and perhaps on to Fradley junction* depending on where we are after about 8 days.

I'd be interested in any input from the team, particularly regarding what the Ashby will be like around the festival time and also regarding the alternative of Atherstone to Fazeley and possibly Fradley (or possibly further still if there's time without rushing it).

I'm not looking for any other alternatives for this trip as I've done all the other routes from Napton (with the exception of the GU south from Norton junction which is planned for next year).

Thanks in advance for any input.

* though I hear that Fradley may be full up!

Atherstone locks are pleasant and easy, just beyond, Polesworth is a nice village with good mooring.

You could stop in at the Alvecote festival.

Fazeley is fine for mooring, restaurants or fast food.

If you go on to Fradley I would try Hopwas one way and Willington Whittington the other, both worth a visit.

Edited by frahkn
Whittington

We've just spent 5 days up the Ashby and it was very quiet. Lots of the visitor moorings along the whole length had no boats on at all. As Ianali said before its bridges 47 to 53 that are reserved but you could either just miss out the top 4 miles or time it so you dont hit Shakerstone at the wrong time. Maybe I am wrong and it will get very busy but as I said it was very quiet and loads of moorings by the 3 Camra pubs (Limekilns @bridge 15, Dog and Hedgehog at Dadlington and GLobe at the top - but how the second two of these got in the guide I dont know - great beer but both set out as eating places - albeit with great food at the Globe - but that is not what a Camra pub is ......is it?). It was worth getting to the top and doing the tunnel and the winding hole.

3 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

... but how the second two of these got in the guide I dont know - great beer but both set out as eating places - albeit with great food at the Globe - but that is not what a Camra pub is ......is it?). It was worth getting to the top and doing the tunnel and the winding hole.

Thanks all (so far).

Back when I was a CAMRA member (long time ago) it was pretty much all about the beer. A pub's presence or otherwise in the GBBG was determined by the quality of its real ales. Maybe things have changed now that the original purpose of the campaign was achieved so spectacularly years ago with (virtually) all pubs now having at least one cask beer. Back then most pubs were still fizz-only joints so you needed a guide to help you avoid them, especially with no interweb to help.

I did think about doing the Ashby without the last 4 miles or so but on the two occasions I have previously done it that was probably my favourite bit so it would seem a shame to miss it.

I am leaning towards doing Hawkesbury to Fazeley/Fradley instead and saving the (whole) Ashby until next Spring.

4 hours ago, frahkn said:

Atherstone locks are pleasant and easy, just beyond, Polesworth is a nice village with good mooring.

You could stop in at the Alvecote festival.

Fazeley is fine for mooring, restaurants or fast food.

If you go on to Fradley I would try Hopwas one way and Willington Whittington the other, both worth a visit.

Is there much to do and see at the Alvecote festival for people without interest in historic boats? Ian.

5 hours ago, ianali said:

Is there much to do and see at the Alvecote festival for people without interest in historic boats? Ian.

Ah...you've caught me out.

I moor at Alvecote but have never been to the festival.

But it looks like you could have a decent few hours there without being particularly interested in historic boats.