Gas Locker Lock

Featured Posts

42 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

The boat I have has two canisters chained in a little gas locker (with a wooden cover) which are inside a larger box which is locked. Whoever kitted out the boat has, thoughtfully, put a gas shutoff valve outside the locked box. Best of both worlds methinks!

I am not quite seeing how that would turn off the gas bottles.

Is there not still a length of pipe between the 'external shut-off valve' and the gas bottle shut off.

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I am not quite seeing how that would turn off the gas bottles.

Is there not still a length of pipe between the 'external shut-off valve' and the gas bottle shut off.

True, there is still gas from the open canister to the shutoff valve, but the shutoff valve is near the canister, outside the locker, and outside the cabin. If nothing else, at least it stops the gas near the source, should the key be unavailable.

But, yeah, not perfect.  :D

Edited by ronnietucker
grammur :D

When the fire brigade attend a boat conflagration, I'm reasonably sure they won't seek out the gas bottles and just turn them off. 

They will find them, turn them off, rip them out by whatever means necessary and carry them to safety a hundred yards away or more.

So people chaining them in by whatever means are just making their job harder.

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

When the fire brigade attend a boat conflagration, I'm reasonably sure they won't seek out the gas bottles and just turn them off. 

They will find them, turn them off, rip them out by whatever means necessary and carry them to safety a hundred yards away or more.

So people chaining them in by whatever means are just making their job harder.

I thought they had to be chained, or secured in some way, to stop them moving about in the locker.... How do you secure yours?

6 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I thought they had to be chained, or secured in some way, to stop them moving about in the locker.... How do you secure yours?

With a chain about 2/3rds of the way up to stop them falling forward. With the lid closed they cant lift up but with the lid open they can be slid up out of the chain.

I only chain mine for anti-theft reasons. I don't need to do anything to stop them moving about as the locker is only just big enough to take 2 bottles, there's not enough room for them to move.

Hope they never change the shape of the bottles though, any fatter and I'm fecked.

I have never locked a gas locker and moored all over the system for best part of thirty years and no one has nicked a gas bottle ( yet ) some peeps padlock their fuel lids , engine bay, batteries blommin knickers it depends on your " worry " state in life. I would be far more worried if I were a hobby boater whilst out on my boat that my house was going to be burgled as mine was once when on holiday.

Lifes too short.

13 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I have never locked a gas locker and moored all over the system for best part of thirty years and no one has nicked a gas bottle ( yet ) some peeps padlock their fuel lids , engine bay, batteries blommin knickers it depends on your " worry " state in life. I would be far more worried if I were a hobby boater whilst out on my boat that my house was going to be burgled as mine was once when on holiday.

Lifes too short.

You've got me worried now. It had never previously occurred to me to lock my knickers but perhaps I should. Any advice on the best way to go about this?

15 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Lifes too short.

I agree. Our boat "came with" a padlock on the gas locker, a padlocked flap over the engine control panel, and a steel bar with two padlocks to secure the rear doors.

When we had a complete repaint, all the above were done away with. The gas bottles are chained together with a D-shackle to comply with BSS requirements. 

Edited by Machpoint005
we still have a gas locker!
  • Happy 1

3 minutes ago, MrBeethoven said:

You've got me worried now. It had never previously occurred to me to lock my knickers but perhaps I should. Any advice on the best way to go about this?

Duct tape top and bottom :D