Gas Locker Lock

Featured Posts

I've recently taken to putting a padlocked chain through the handles of my 2 bottles to reduce the (probably already tiny) risk of theft.

Without boltcutters, which a locked locker would also be susceptible to, the bottles can't be removed but the gas can still be turned off in an emergency. I have three keys so all my three sets of keys (boat * 2, home and car * 1) have one so there would be no delay in getting a key quickly if the need arose.

1 hour ago, jddevel said:

Quick question. Do I need or is it just good practice to have a way of locking my gas locker? Logically should be left readily accessible to be able to isolate supply. Thank you.

I seem to remember some years ago a thread where the boat was on fire and the fire brigade could not readily gain access the gas to turn it off - the recommendation (suggestion) from the Fire brigade was NOT to lock the gas-locker.

Mr Beethoven (and others) suggestion would meet all the requirements - but if you are in the habit of storing tools and stuff in the gas-locker (BSSC Fail !!!) then yes - the tools could be pinched with an un-locked locker

Sound advice again. Will chain together. However the "old" bottle (probably 30 years old) I had and tried in one of the rings installed in the locker the bottle did not sit too snugly. Have bottle designs changed or could the rings be suspect. Plus is it good practice to maybe strap the bottles to their supporting rings please?

11 minutes ago, jddevel said:

Sound advice again. Will chain together. However the "old" bottle (probably 30 years old) I had and tried in one of the rings installed in the locker the bottle did not sit too snugly. Have bottle designs changed or could the rings be suspect. Plus is it good practice to maybe strap the bottles to their supporting rings please?

Part of the BSS (but I think you are fitting out to the RCD ?) states that the bottles must be fixed in place, and must not move enough to 'pull' the flexible pipe and regulator - have you checked the BSS / RCD requirements ?

Edit to Add :

BSS clause 7:4:1

The extent of any LPG cylinder movement must not cause any pulling of pipework or pulling tight of hose.
Cylinders must be secured so that the possibility of cylinders damaging low-pressure regulators, pipework or other LPG system components is minimised.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I seem to remember some years ago a thread where the boat was on fire and the fire brigade could not readily gain access the gas to turn it off - the recommendation (suggestion) from the Fire brigade was NOT to lock the gas-locker.

Whilst I have also heard this position, I can't imagine that there is a fre engine anywhere in the country that doesn't carry equipment that would allow any lock to be removed in seconds.

I think the issue is more about people other than the  fire brigade being able to gain very rapid access.

Personally I would not lock a gas locker lid, but I know many people do.

I think it pales into insignificance though, compared to those who live and sleep aboard without unlocking both ends of their cabin.  Many of our local live aboards keep one end externally locked with a padlock, cutting off an escape route that could make the difference between life or death. (Or have so much junk and plants in front of the doors that they have no chance of getting through them even if unlocked.)

• Happy 1

4 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Whilst I have also heard this position, I can't imagine that there is a fre engine anywhere in the country that doesn't carry equipment that would allow any lock to be removed in seconds.

Agreed but (hypothetically) having run a mile from the nearest entrance point / bridge to get to the fire, carrying extinguishers , would they have to run the mile back to the appliance, and then the mile back to the boat with the bolt croppers, by which time the fire has taken hold and the gas bottle ready to explode.

It is of course possible that one of the crew would think 'lets take bolt croppers with us, just in case', but unless they had 'boaty experience' that may be a remote possibility.

It is simpler just to 'lock up the gas bottle' but leave the locker unlocked.

53 minutes ago, jddevel said:

However the "old" bottle (probably 30 years old) I had and tried in one of the rings installed in the locker the bottle did not sit too snugly. Have bottle designs changed or could the rings be suspect. Plus is it good practice to maybe strap the bottles to their supporting rings please?

Thanks to contributors but still need advice on the question of securing of bottles to their supposed supporting rings. My rings appear to allow the bottles to "wobble"  and whilst I intend strapping the bottles in place I would have thought the bottle bases would have fitted in the rings. Hence the question have they changed in shape over the years?

19 minutes ago, jddevel said:

Thanks to contributors but still need advice on the question of securing of bottles to their supposed supporting rings. My rings appear to allow the bottles to "wobble"  and whilst I intend strapping the bottles in place I would have thought the bottle bases would have fitted in the rings. Hence the question have they changed in shape over the years?

I don't ever recall seeing 'rings' in the bottom of a gas-locker that the cylinder sits in (seen then on GRP cruisers for the smaller 3.9/4.0kg bottles, but not big 13 kg bottles on NB's).

What size bottles and gas locker are you talking about ?

Pictures may help.

Some boats may have had lockers designed for 'GAZ' or 'Calor Gas', but you may be using one of the new 'fly-by-night' companies who do tend to offer slightly different sizes (ie 11kg in lieu of 13 kgs etc, which 'justifies' their lower prices.)

Diagnosis at a distance (particularly with little information) is difficult.

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I don't ever recall seeing 'rings' in the bottom of a gas-locker that the cylinder sits in (seen then on GRP cruisers for the smaller 3.9/4.0kg bottles, but not big 13 kg bottles on NB's).

What size bottles and gas locker are you talking about ?

Pictures may help.

Some boats may have had lockers designed for 'GAZ' or 'Calor Gas', but you may be using one of the new 'fly-by-night' companies who do tend to offer slightly different sizes (ie 11kg in lieu of 13 kgs etc, which 'justifies' their lower prices.)

Diagnosis at a distance (particularly with little information) is difficult.

My gas locker is awesome, situated at the blunt end of a semi trad ( stupid name ) the lid lifts straight off and reveals two 13s of propane. Built into the side of the locker about 2/3rds of the way up are steel rings. You slip the gas bottle into the ring and job done. There is sufficient room to allow removal/replacement of the bottles but not enough for a wobble or indeed to make any discernible movement of the pig tails and no way can you knock them over. Simple and very effective there are chains in there to lock them if you so wish. Its down to design. My shell also has a very sensible T stud for the centre line so enabling tieying up temporarily at such times as refuelling etc and a properly integrated heavy eye at the point end as a designated anchor securing point and of course no stupid racks on the cabin top at the rear section to tangle ropes in aaagghhhh. All very basic requirements done from new.

• Greenie 1

Boat shell built by Bourne Boat Builders (believe they were awarded at last Crick Show) and they have welded two rings at the bottom of the locker each supported on three uprights obviously to allow water or gas to escape and to stop bottle sitting in any water that may end up in the locker. Unable to photo at the moment. I`m in Cornwall and boats on a lorry somewhere between here and Swanley Bridge Marina. I`m trying to get a list together for any welding work needed before the boats put in the water for the first time next week. All new to me and it`s making my brain ache!!!!!

9 minutes ago, jddevel said:

Boat shell built by Bourne Boat Builders (believe they were awarded at last Crick Show) and they have welded two rings at the bottom of the locker each supported on three uprights obviously to allow water or gas to escape and to stop bottle sitting in any water that may end up in the locker. Unable to photo at the moment. I`m in Cornwall and boats on a lorry somewhere between here and Swanley Bridge Marina. I`m trying to get a list together for any welding work needed before the boats put in the water for the first time next week. All new to me and it`s making my brain ache!!!!!

Awards are often 'awarded' for novelties rather than 'practical solutions' - it sounds as if your rings may be one of these - if you cannot get the bottles secure using them, then they either need removing or 'making fit'.

Example : C&RT have just announced their latest awards :

• Most edible boat [Yes, 'edible'!]
  • most flower-filled boat
  • most inventive use of space
  • best towpath garden or open space
  • best towpath business in bloom
  • best wildlife friendly boat

You would think they would have something better to spend their money on.

30 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

if you cannot get the bottles secure using them, then they either need removing or 'making fit'.

Not realizing that the rings were not common practice it was trying to secure which made me ask the question and look for experience and advice. Think I`ve got that especially with the idea of rings further up. Solves the stability and with some additional eyelets attached security as well.

9 minutes ago, jddevel said:

Not realizing that the rings were not common practice it was trying to secure which made me ask the question and look for experience and advice. Think I`ve got that especially with the idea of rings further up. Solves the stability and with some additional eyelets attached security as well.

You'll get it sorted when you get the boat 'in the workshop'.

The boat I have has two canisters chained in a little gas locker (with a wooden cover) which are inside a larger box which is locked. Whoever kitted out the boat has, thoughtfully, put a gas shutoff valve outside the locked box. Best of both worlds methinks!