Coventry Canal Society today 19/08/17

zenataomm

Featured Posts

Today at the Coventry Canal Society we had our At Home Day.

This is where we lower the submarine nets at the mouth of The Wyken Basin just short of Hawkesbury and uncover the hidden road entrance to our HQ.

Interested parties are bussed in from far and near as well as closer places too. 

Today's event was opened by the marching of the massed military bands which was smashing. And the Pole Dancing, Sub Aqua Synchronised Swimming Team performing in the basin was an inspired idea. I hope it becomes a regular event.

An all day BBQ and a cheap bar complimented all sorts of frivolity and entertainment like "Bouncy Castles for adults" and "Canoeing up a creek without a paddle".  A Bric-a-Brac stall did roaring trade in Bolinder spares and Bolinger by the case.

For me one of the highlights of the day, apart from arranging for the event to be opened by Rosie & Jim ( now talking to each other again after the messy divorce and Jim finishing with Rehab.) it was great to see the terrible Josher twins back together ...... Panther & Python.

It was simply smashing to meet and talk with Python's crew, the never forgettable good old "What's her name" and "Bloke" both of whom I've never met before, but shall now make every attempt to keep in touch with for ever more. Having Bloke explain to me that both boats left the Yarwood's Showroom together with the same boat number!  I in turn was able to explain the reason for the diagonal striped guards on Panther's front end.  As many already know Panther was originally to be named Zebra.  The name was changed after The Josher Giraffe got stuck under the first bridge out of Limehouse Basin.

Both boats were looking splendid following their trip fully loaded from the "Dicky Mint Treacle Wells".  A memorable achievement in its own right but even more astounding when you realise they completed the entire journey breasted up as shown yet passed through the narrow Rabbitcastle Tunnel and not to mention the Rupert Brooke staircase locks on The Ashby.

Blast I just said not to mention it and then immediately did!

Congrats to Python's crew for being awarded the CCS Diploma for travelling The Coventry Canal from here to there.

zenataomm

ps Sorry for the poor quality photos I only had my tripod and cloak over my head oak camera with me, and everyone refused to watch the birdy.

thumbnail_WP_20170819_14_26_24_Pro.jpg

thumbnail_WP_20170819_15_51_11_Pro[1].jpg

thumbnail_WP_20170819_14_25_52_Pro[1].jpg

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

There was a time when the Coventry Canal Society had meetings and events and were regularly promoting the canal from the terminus basin in Coventry to Fradley. When I was RCHS West Midlands Group Secretary, the first winter meeting (September) was nominally a joint meeting with the Coventry Canal Society, although that rarely happened. In Meriel Cooling's time, I recall it was, but not with me or my predecessor Matthew Searle.