engine buzzer

Featured Posts

Typically a faulty alternator or faulty oil pressure/ engine temp. sender. Is it charging properly? If no lights are on it could be a cable to either sender shorting to the metal of the boat. look for trapped or chaffed wires.

Always be aware that although such senders are not very reliable there os always a slight chance t really is low oil pressure or an overheat.

when i start the engine all lights go off but buzzer stops on but not as loud as with on engine not running i will have a look again tomorrow ,boat coming out for blacking Tuesday so i will let them sort it  

Edited by Dave Bebb

4 hours ago, OldGoat said:

May seem daft - but on my engine(s) the buzzer stayed on until I revved the engine (a bit of 'oomph' is needed to get the alternator to start charging).

In that case,should there not be a charge warning light on?

With the latest symptom provided above possibly not, or at least not noticed. The alternator may be producing output but at a reduced voltage that is enough to quieten the buzzer a little and dim the light. In daylight the lamp may look as if its out. I'd rather that latest symptom had not reared its head because that speaks more of failed diodes in the alternator than anything else. However it could still be an oil pressure switch or temperature switch that is not breaking properly but rather  less likely.

I'd Also suggest testing the temp light ( bulb) just to make sure the bulbs not gone and/or there is a problem with the switch. Earth the wire at the sender. The light and buzzer should come on. 

I have had a similar symptom to yours which was the oil warning sender going high resistance