School Days - Day 3

Featured Posts

I wanted to turn the boat around to have it facing the other way on its moorings to wash the windows etc.

Everything started off fine. Engine started first time and I instructed my crew member (aka: my dad) to undo the lines, push out the front and off we go.

I go a few minutes up the canal then do a three point turn to return to base.

And that's where it all went pear-shaped. The wind kept blowing me into the side. Eventually to the point where I was in the weeds. After much pole pushing from my dad we move off. But I couldn't get any speed. Forward was very little, and reverse was almost nonexistent. This meant the wind was blowing me in again, and steering was difficult.

After much to and fro I float towards the mooring, bump the pontoon a bit to get the back in, and my dad jumps out and pulls the boat in with the ropes.

Phew!

After some chit chat, with those far more knowledgeable than I, it turns out the weeds had wrapped around the propellor.

Ironically, the way I floated in means I'm still facing the same direction as when I left. <_<

• 4 months later...

I'd just like to add to this entry by saying that the reason I couldn't move properly (after hitting the weeds) was probably due to the fact that the cable from the control stick to the engine had sheared off at the engine.

I managed to get a new cable and fit it. Everything seems hunky dory (ie: the engine still works).

Although, doh, I did manage to end up dropping a spacer deep into the engine. Engine still works, so that's the main thing.  :D