What's the latest thinking on toilet tank treatments?

Froggy

What treatment do you put in your pumpout toilet?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What treatment do you put in your pumpout toilet?

• Elsan Blue
    • Odorlos
    • Other proprietary non-bio product
    • Other proprietary bio product
    • Washing Machine detergent
    • Other
    • Nothing

Featured Posts

Ok, i know this has been done before because i've read a couple of threads in the past, but there didn't seem to be anything like a consensus so would be interested in knowing current views. We have a Mansfield Traveler. Both the pump and the seals have failed and we will resolve these in the coming months. In the meantime we are flushing with water from a bottle and sealing the bulb with dampened tissue. Incidentally, the latter is very effective at preventing smells and also makes it much easier to flush solids with a small quantity of water. Nevertheless, the toilet smells when the seal is broken, and neither Elsan Blue or Odorlos are much use, despite the latter claiming to eliminate odours 100%. We've asked a few boaters and some seem to find bio detergent to work well. I'd be interested in hearing peoples' views on this and have added a poll to the topic.

We chuck some Odorlos into it occasionally. It's a macerator one, so smell isn't as much of a problem as it can be with dump through. (I still prefer a dump through, KISS principle ...)

I think the secret (especially with a dump through)   is good ventilation of the tank, to encourage  aerobic bacteria. I have seen some where the ventilation is so poor that the tank builds up a positive pressure, so there is a blast of pong when the lever is operated. 

• Greenie 1

The seals tend to get calcified - but can be cleaned, but you have to remove them first.

We have used Odorlos for years, but it has become less effective since the (dumbed down)  the specification. Following recommendations on here we have tried an industrial type washing cleaner (it came in a used 1300l container...) and it has solved the problem! For best results you do have to resort to a power flush when rinsing out the tank - to loosen any solids.

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

We chuck some Odorlos into it occasionally. It's a macerator one, so smell isn't as much of a problem as it can be with dump through. (I still prefer a dump through, KISS principle ...)

I think the secret (especially with a dump through)   is good ventilation of the tank, to encourage  aerobic bacteria. I have seen some where the ventilation is so poor that the tank builds up a positive pressure, so there is a blast of pong when the lever is operated. 

What would you class as 'good ventilation' though? Ours, as far as i know, is simply ventilated by a hole on the top of the roof next to the pumpout outlet.

15 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

The seals tend to get calcified - but can be cleaned, but you have to remove them first.

We have used Odorlos for years, but it has become less effective since the (dumbed down)  the specification. Following recommendations on here we have tried an industrial type washing cleaner (it came in a used 1300l container...) and it has solved the problem! For best results you do have to resort to a power flush when rinsing out the tank - to loosen any solids.

I think our seals are well and truly gone and the ball is probably also scored. We will replace both over the next few months, though not a job i'm relishing. We'll do the motor first, which is a relatively simple task. We have taken to using a hose down the toilet whilst it's being flushed out but this doesn't seem to have helped much.

Edited by Froggy

What i'm particularly interested in is hearing from anybody who has experimented with ordinary bio/non-bio detergent, since both Elsan and Odorlos are overpriced imo for what they actually achieve. My other half told me that someone told her they use cheap bio capsules from Lidl and that they work well. I also need some reassurance that such products would be safe to use in a holding tank.

We've tried various options, some with more success than others, but its all a bit random so have not drawn any conclusions yet.

Other posters have claimed perfect results with various things.

I suspect some forum members are oblivious to smells, or are possibly the same folk who have batteries that last 15 years :D. I am starting to suspect that the bacterial culture in each tank is different, and can also change over time, maybe a visitor to the boat really upsets things, so what works one month might be less effective the next. The there is the summer-winter thing too.

Had a tidy up recently and there were various tank treatments that we had tried with poor results, each with some left in the bottle. I poured the whole lot into the tank and it worked brilliant.

I suspect that most work if you put lots and lots in but that gets expensive.

..............Dave

7 minutes ago, dmr said:

We've tried various options, some with more success than others, but its all a bit random so have not drawn any conclusions yet.

Other posters have claimed perfect results with various things.

I suspect some forum members are oblivious to smells, or are possibly the same folk who have batteries that last 15 years :D. I am starting to suspect that the bacterial culture in each tank is different, and can also change over time, maybe a visitor to the boat really upsets things, so what works one month might be less effective the next. The there is the summer-winter thing too.

Had a tidy up recently and there were various tank treatments that we had tried with poor results, each with some left in the bottle. I poured the whole lot into the tank and it worked brilliant.

I suspect that most work if you put lots and lots in but that gets expensive.

..............Dave

What is the most effective (single) thing you've used so far though? I'm particularly interested in the idea of using washing machine detergent since this is relatively cheap and you can therefore be a bit ott if necessary. After our last pumpout i tried using copious quantities of Elsan Blue, but this was pretty useless and so i won't be repeating that experiment!

Used up most of the blue that was left on the boat by the previous owners, not bothered putting anything in for the last 6 or 7 pump outs. A quick blast of Neutradol air freshener after opening the door to the dark side and all is well with the world again.

Lighting a scented candle is about the best thing :D.

Odorloss used to be ok but I think its got less effective.

Tried yeast powder with no success.

Bio washing up liquid was no good, but am going to try again with a much bigger dose.

Silky was okish but failed totally recently....was that the hotter weather or because last two pumpouts have been not too good (boatyards)? Need to find a CaRT pumpout machine and do one ourselves....we can do much better than most boatyards. Too many variables to draw conclusions.

..............Dave

Odorloss for us with macerator toilet, you do need to do a few pumpouts if you have used Blue beforehand before it becomes fully effective. We certainly don't suffer from any nasty niffs, unless the dog botty coughs! 

1. 1 hour ago, Froggy said:

What i'm particularly interested in is hearing from anybody who has experimented with ordinary bio/non-bio detergent, since both Elsan and Odorlos are overpriced imo for what they actually achieve. My other half told me that someone told her they use cheap bio capsules from Lidl and that they work well. I also need some reassurance that such products would be safe to use in a holding tank.

We've tried 'everything' over the years  but NEVER Blue as it's the invention of the Devil and really designed only for recycling porta potti types-

• Original Odorlos - good results
  • Brewers Yeast - partial results
  • Above with bubbling fresh air through the flush pipe (very smelly).
  • On our patch most pump out units have high pressure hoses which we attach to our own sprinkler pipe (to avoid complaints) and give a good blasting through the open pan - results - good; extend the time between pumpouts
  • Industrual Bio - excellent - as mentioned earlier.
  • A previous thread on here recommended "OxyGen" granules available from Tesco. Will try this when  the stock of the previous item runs out.

I think it's important to have an element of mechanical agitation to break up any mass of solids - so I have a pointed-stick for that purpose.

Both the rubber seals and balls are expensive, so it's important to keep them clean with a round loo brush and perhaps leave over might with a

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Froggy said:

What would you class as 'good ventilation' though? Ours, as far as i know, is simply ventilated by a hole on the top of the roof next to the pumpout outlet.

Ideally two vents, one at either end of the tank of a large diameter. I would say 1.5" or more ideally although the one I added to my tank is only 22mm. They should be as near horizontal as practical but the "freeboard rules" may involve an upwards slope. Certainly not a vertical and then an elbow if it can be avoided.

During the really hot weather in late May/June I had no end of smell but as soon as the weather cooled down it is far better.

I mechanically ventilate the one vent using large brushless computer fan in a DIY steel box sucking out.

Be wary of any hoses that allow effluent to sit in them. Pump out hoses can and do allow  smell to leech through the walls, especially low quality ones.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Froggy said:

I think our seals are well and truly gone and the ball is probably also scored. We will replace both over the next few months, though not a job i'm relishing. We'll do the motor first, which is a relatively simple task. We have taken to using a hose down the toilet whilst it's being flushed out but this doesn't seem to have helped much.

Ideally, at least two vents, one at each end of the tank, in an attempt to get a through flow of air.

I take it the motor provides flush water for a dump through? 

16 hours ago, Froggy said:

Ok, i know this has been done before because i've read a couple of threads in the past, but there didn't seem to be anything like a consensus so would be interested in knowing current views. We have a Mansfield Traveler. Both the pump and the seals have failed and we will resolve these in the coming months. In the meantime we are flushing with water from a bottle and sealing the bulb with dampened tissue. Incidentally, the latter is very effective at preventing smells and also makes it much easier to flush solids with a small quantity of water. Nevertheless, the toilet smells when the seal is broken, and neither Elsan Blue or Odorlos are much use, despite the latter claiming to eliminate odours 100%. We've asked a few boaters and some seem to find bio detergent to work well. I'd be interested in hearing peoples' views on this and have added a poll to the topic.

My experience: 16 years with a dump through holding tank and no additives from new = absolutely no odour (and I have a very sensitive sense of smell!)

2 years with an Airhead composting loo = again no odour (sense of smell undiminished!)

Reason for change: My mild steel holding tank developed a leak where the pump out pipe entered the top (there was some odour then) and as a friend on a neighbouring boat remarked – "with sh1t it's better to be proactive rather than reactive." So the tank was hastily pumped out and filled with a concrete slurry and the composting loo installed in its place. 

• Greenie 2

17 hours ago, OldGoat said:

We've tried 'everything' over the years  but NEVER Blue as it's the invention of the Devil and really designed only for recycling porta potti types-

• Original Odorlos - good results
  • Brewers Yeast - partial results
  • Above with bubbling fresh air through the flush pipe (very smelly).
  • On our patch most pump out units have high pressure hoses which we attach to our own sprinkler pipe (to avoid complaints) and give a good blasting through the open pan - results - good; extend the time between pumpouts
  • Industrual Bio - excellent - as mentioned earlier.
  • A previous thread on here recommended "OxyGen" granules available from Tesco. Will try this when  the stock of the previous item runs out.

I think it's important to have an element of mechanical agitation to break up any mass of solids - so I have a pointed-stick for that purpose.

Both the rubber seals and balls are expensive, so it's important to keep them clean with a round loo brush and perhaps leave over might with a

I'm particularly interested in trying the Oxygen granules, or maybe some cheaper supermarket brand alternative.

11 hours ago, Iain_S said:

Ideally, at least two vents, one at each end of the tank, in an attempt to get a through flow of air.

I take it the motor provides flush water for a dump through? 

Yes, we have a separate (currently broken) pump for the toilet and also a separate tank for flush water.

We don't put any additives in our loo tank and get no smells from it. The key is adequate ventilation. 

We only clean it with a dot of disinfect as we find that this doesn't upset the bacteria balance in the tank. Bleach based products do and it then takes a while for the tank to settle down again.

• Greenie 1

46 minutes ago, Froggy said:

I'm particularly interested in trying the Oxygen granules, or maybe some cheaper supermarket brand alternative.

Yes, we have a separate (currently broken) pump for the toilet and also a separate tank for flush water.

You've mentioned 'cheaper' twice recently. Products like Odorlos do have what looks like a high price tag, but the recommended dosage makes a container last quite a long time.

Supermarket Bio washes are about £4 per kilo - is that expensive in your book. I ask because I'm wondering whether folks are overdosing their tanks? I've been using a wash's measure per tankful. Our tanks are about 80l each.

I've just found t6he Oxy 'bleach' powder that  was recommended on a thread here, it is:-

Tesco Oxy Powder Colours. Priced at £3 per kilo. In the store it's hidden in the bleaches section rather than the washing machine section.

• Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

You've mentioned 'cheaper' twice recently. Products like Odorlos do have what looks like a high price tag, but the recommended dosage makes a container last quite a long time.

Supermarket Bio washes are about £4 per kilo - is that expensive in your book. I ask because I'm wondering whether folks are overdosing their tanks? I've been using a wash's measure per tankful. Our tanks are about 80l each.

I've just found t6he Oxy 'bleach' powder that  was recommended on a thread here, it is:-

Tesco Oxy Powder Colours. Priced at £3 per kilo. In the store it's hidden in the bleaches section rather than the washing machine section.

I'd happily pay the price for Odorlos if it actually did what it said on the label (viz. 'Guranteed no odours'), but it doesn't. Thanks for the other recommendations, i'm going to try some of these supermarket alternatives in the near future and will report back. If i'm correct, products like Elsan Blue are bleach based? This may be why the Odorlos hasn't been very successful for us, as per Naughty Cal's comments, since Blue had been used previously. With the Odorlos i tried the recommended dose and when this failed overdosed it. It wasn't very successful but probably more than Blue, which seems to merely do a very bad job of masking the smell with a pretty perfume.

Edited by Froggy

2 minutes ago, Froggy said:

I'd happily pay the price for Odorlos if it actually did what it said on the label (viz. 'Guranteed no odours'), but it doesn't. Thanks for the other recommendations, i'm going to try some of these supermarket alternatives in the near future and will report back. If i'm correct, products like Elsan Blue are bleach based? This may be why the Odorlos hasn't been very successful for us, since Blue had been used previously. With the Odorlos i tried the recommended dose and when this failed overdosed it. It wasn't very successful but probably more than Blue, which seems to merely do a very bad job of masking the smell with a pretty perfume.

I think the general consensus is that the newer (UK) formulation of Odorlos is not very effective. I bought two large bottles of it and don't use it any more. Blue is AFAIK bleach based and works by smothering everything, killing all the bacteria including those that cause smells. Bio washes and Oxy treatments generate oxygen and encourage the non-smelly bacteria to work harder and breakdown the solids. IMHO all treatments are helped by some sort of agitation to keep any solids 'on the move'.

Why some folks tanks smell and others don't defeats me.  

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, OldGoat said:

I think the general consensus is that the newer (UK) formulation of Odorlos is not very effective. I bought two large bottles of it and don't use it any more. Blue is AFAIK bleach based and works by smothering everything, killing all the bacteria including those that cause smells. Bio washes and Oxy treatments generate oxygen and encourage the non-smelly bacteria to work harder and breakdown the solids. IMHO all treatments are helped by some sort of agitation to keep any solids 'on the move'.

Why some folks tanks smell and others don't defeats me.  

Could that tie in with your suggestion that agitation helps?  If you don't move the boat much you don't stir the sh stuff.  M'be its like older engines gently used and a little  smokey. A good blast in a river will cut the fug.

My mate uses farmhouse cyder in his dump through (both neat and 'recycled') and says it works.  'Prolly to pissed to notice though.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1