Fradley is full

Rob-M

Featured Posts

For the first time we have arrived at Fradley Junction and had to moor on the moorings between Junction Lock and Middle Lock and pay £5. Only staying because my brother and his wife are meeting us here otherwise we would have probably gone elsewhere.

The last few occasions we have passed through, all the visitor moorings on the Coventry sections have been full.

The last time we stopped there, we took the last spot between Junction and Keepers locks. 

It been a busy year there. 

3 hours ago, Rob-M said:

For the first time we have arrived at Fradley Junction and had to moor on the moorings between Junction Lock and Middle Lock and pay £5. Only staying because my brother and his wife are meeting us here otherwise we would have probably gone elsewhere.

I go through Fradley a lot and usually see most moored boats with 20' between and not sharing the rings. I've seen on numerous occasions a boat go into a space big enough for two 60' boats and moor right in the middle. Why are people so selfish?

49 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

I go through Fradley a lot and usually see most moored boats with 20' between and not sharing the rings. I've seen on numerous occasions a boat go into a space big enough for two 60' boats and moor right in the middle. Why are people so selfish?

It might be because other boaters run generators and engines late into the evening.  Sadly we live in a selfish world.  

5 hours ago, Rob-M said:

It will be fine when the boating season starts in a couple of months time. We are popping up there back end of October, fab month, kids will be at schools when we go. In fairness if you reluctantly have to boat at this time of year a fiver is only just a bit more than a pint of beer these days.

26 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

It will be fine when the boating season starts in a couple of months time. We are popping up there back end of October, fab month, kids will be at schools when we go. In fairness if you reluctantly have to boat at this time of year a fiver is only just a bit more than a pint of beer these days.

True I paid £4 20 at Middlewich last week. only once.

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

True I paid £4 20 at Middlewich last week. only once.

£4.50 a pint of lager in my place. Went to one of our locals last night and noticed a 175 mil of house plonk for the missus was £6.60

14 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

£4.50 a pint of lager in my place. Went to one of our locals last night and noticed a 175 mil of house plonk for the missus was £6.60

Wine in pubs and restaurants is a complete rip off isn't it.  We don't eat out a lot but the last time we did , with two friends, the wine bill was the most expensive item.  Wine is also the reason for the increase in alcohol consumption across the nation and probably obesity as well.  It's too easy to drink a lot in a short time.  Beer, by comparison, has a sort of self limiting factor, especially if you stick to the sensible stuff.  We should return to being a beer drinking nation, who's with me..? 

3 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Wine in pubs and restaurants is a complete rip off isn't it.  We don't eat out a lot but the last time we did , with two friends, the wine bill was the most expensive item.  Wine is also the reason for the increase in alcohol consumption across the nation and probably obesity as well.  It's too easy to drink a lot in a short time.  Beer, by comparison, has a sort of self limiting factor, especially if you stick to the sensible stuff.  We should return to being a beer drinking nation, who's with me..? 

+ 1 and of course NOT lager.

9 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Squeezed into a mooring at Shade House, Fradley at 8pm tonight, thanks to a kind man who offered to move up before I'd said a word.

One space at Gt Haywood on the deep moorings around 3pm above the lock, and Rugeley was chocker.

Lots of space at Handsacre.

Busy times!

James

On Thursday when approaching from Rugeley direction, we arrived at Wood End Lock to find 10 boats waiting in front of us and it took us nearly 3 hours to get through the 3 locks before reaching the junction with the Coventry. It wasn't helped by a convoy of 12 boats in front of us from Anderton boating club who were on their way to the IWA Festival at Ilkeston. 

Always busy in the summer at the best of times and this didn't help matters. 

46 minutes ago, Grassman said:

On Thursday when approaching from Rugeley direction, we arrived at Wood End Lock to find 10 boats waiting in front of us and it took us nearly 3 hours to get through the 3 locks before reaching the junction with the Coventry. It wasn't helped by a convoy of 12 boats in front of us from Anderton boating club who were on their way to the IWA Festival at Ilkeston. 

if decent boaters then these boat clubs would not travel in convoys i stopped before a bridge to let one boat through which was nearer onlu for the following 4 to follow no filter in turn with those .

On 20/08/2017 at 08:04, Grassman said:

What's the hurry? Isn't boating supposed to be like this? Slow and relaxing?

<tongue-in-cheek-smiley>

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What's the hurry? Isn't boating supposed to be like this? Slow and relaxing?

<tongue-in-cheek-smiley>

Yes true. These threads always remind me of one early morning over twenty years ago when missus and myself woke up in brilliant sunshine and thought it would be nice to set off early and bimble off without many boats about thus getting through the next flight of locks before breakfast. We had gone about 400 yards and went round a bend under a bridge and...................had to stop we were at the back of a very long queue of boats all waiting for the lock :lol: It was a club outing with Ken Bonikowski the boatbuilder and many of his boat owners on a weekend outing, it was then to become a good if not well travelled weekend.

14 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Only in your neck of the woods- come norf my son!

13 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Wine in pubs and restaurants is a complete rip off isn't it.  We don't eat out a lot but the last time we did , with two friends, the wine bill was the most expensive item.  Wine is also the reason for the increase in alcohol consumption across the nation and probably obesity as well.  It's too easy to drink a lot in a short time.  Beer, by comparison, has a sort of self limiting factor, especially if you stick to the sensible stuff.  We should return to being a beer drinking nation, who's with me..

That's me stood next to you right now.

3 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Only in your neck of the woods- come norf my son!

Yes so true. I am of course Yorkshire born and bred and its taken me years to come to terms with the silly prices daaarn saaarf. Something else I miss round here are fish and chips, there are no edible ones south of Nottingham although the suvverners because they know no better actualy think fish and chips are edible in the south. There are no fish and chip shops in Oxfordshire worthy of a mention though some are about palatable. Went to see my mum this week back in Yorkshire and went to the fab chippy 2 large fish and chips and a large curry was £8.80 it would have been that for one portion down here off mediocre stuff.

5 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I remember - a large fish dinner, 2 shillings and 6 pence, Walkerville, Yorkshire...

And that was last week.

:)

Just now, Laurie.Booth said:

And that was last week.

6 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I remember - a large fish dinner, 2 shillings and 6 pence, Walkerville, Yorkshire...

'arf a crown you was done.

12 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes so true. I am of course Yorkshire born and bred and its taken me years to come to terms with the silly prices daaarn saaarf. Something else I miss round here are fish and chips, there are no edible ones south of Nottingham although the suvverners because they know no better actualy think fish and chips are edible in the south. There are no fish and chip shops in Oxfordshire worthy of a mention though some are about palatable. Went to see my mum this week back in Yorkshire and went to the fab chippy 2 large fish and chips and a large curry was £8.80 it would have been that for one portion down here off mediocre stuff.

When we first moved from Surrey to Staffordshire, I went to the local chip shop and ordered 4 x cod and chips.

The guy serving got a huge sheet of broadsheet newspaper and proceeded to shovel a mountain of chips into it.

"How unusual" I  thought "putting four lots of chips into one package". But it wasn't four portions, it was one, which completely filled a large plate, leaving no room for the fish! 

And it was half the price of our local Epsom chippy :D

17 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

So who are you paying the fiver to, and how is it collected.

(As you can see I have not come across such an arrangement).

Paid to the caravan park. You can get it back if you spend £15 in the caravan park cafe so good value really.