Scottish Canal

Heartland

Featured Posts

The latest issue of Waterways has included a piece on canals such ad the Forth & Clyde and the Union where an agreement has been reached to enable hire boat operators to continue in business for 2018. I was fortunate to hire a boat from Falkirk in 2007 and it proved an extremely worthwhile experience, with the highlight of the journey being literally travelling up and down the Falkirk Wheel, which is a brilliant and innovative example of British Engineering. That Scottish Canal even considered hampering hire boat operations was a remarkable decision on their part. 

Both canals (the Forth & Clyde & Edinburgh Union) have a tremendous heritage time line and the Union Canal has three impressive aqueducts to cross and see. Throwing away the opportunity of boat hire reduces the opportunity for those wishing to explore these canals, whether such interest is derived from the general public or the boaters who cruise English and Welsh Waterways. 

The reported increase of fees for hire boat companies by a factor said to be up to five times the previous charges appears to be a suicidal decision and one bent on driving away tourists and enthusiast away from the Scottish Canal network. It is particularly sad in view of the investment made in bringing back these canals into use 

yes, it is good that folk will still be able to hire a boat on the Lowland Canals next year but , if the stories are to be believed, hiking up the fees for the existing company and virtually forcing them out of business was a bit sad. The new operator of the hire fleet will be Scottish Canals and one wonders if that was their aim all along. Cut out the middleman and take all the profit themselves.  Most of the boats are actually Black Prince and ABC boats but they were managed by the Scottish hire company and I believe that that will continue, only SC will be the manager for these boats. 

We live in "interesting" times in Scotland with the organisation put in charge of the canals being more interested in property development and  getting people to pay large mooring fees under the Living on Water scheme which sort of encourages boats not to move. 

We live in hope of a change of policy at the top :-)

haggis

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, haggis said:

yes, it is good that folk will still be able to hire a boat on the Lowland Canals next year but , if the stories are to be believed, hiking up the fees for the existing company and virtually forcing them out of business was a bit sad. The new operator of the hire fleet will be Scottish Canals and one wonders if that was their aim all along. Cut out the middleman and take all the profit themselves.  Most of the boats are actually Black Prince and ABC boats but they were managed by the Scottish hire company and I believe that that will continue, only SC will be the manager for these boats. 

We live in "interesting" times in Scotland with the organisation put in charge of the canals being more interested in property development and  getting people to pay large mooring fees under the Living on Water scheme which sort of encourages boats not to move. 

We live in hope of a change of policy at the top :-)

haggis

There's a pink thing with trotters flying past my open back cabin door as I type .............

• Greenie 1

After Haggis made a reply about the Canals in Scotland, that there is little help with that organisation. I recall a conversation I had with BW in Glasgow about the lack of heritage interest with the developments at Kirkintilloch. I assume their policies have not changed.

It is a pity that they do not get involved with more restoration like the Monkland Canal!