Box or rail

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Tubular hand rails set a few inches inboard are the best for grip also to keep the roof clean. My latest has built in box jobbies with a significant overhang to put fingers under for grip.

My last 'boat' had a row of 4' high aluminium stanchions with 3 x rubber covered steel wires running through them, tightened by stainless turnbuckles. You could walk up and down the gunwales all day (weather permitting), but it was a bit further to fall and the water was a bit deeper. You've had some like that too, haven't you Tim? Surely they were best? :D

Mine are box but with the top projecting 20mm on the inside very easy to grip and they stop screws etc rolling over the side when you are fiddling on the roof. The only downside is that everything has to be on hooks so only downward pull allowed, fenders tyres etc OK but leading a warp to a high bank won't work, also rigging an awning over the stern/bow to facilitate painting is not good, I have to use clamps / magnets to 'tie' down.

One of the first things I had added to Cygnet when I bought the boat 12 years ago was square section handrails welded on top of the raised grips which I had felt were insufficiently secure on our previous shared boat.   Also more versatile for hanging extra fenders, stringing washing lines, etc.

Not further in on the roof, either - I could imagine if I slipped off the gunwale that would put terrific, even breaking, strain between wrist and elbow.  

DSCN0193.JPG

3 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

One of the first things I had added to Cygnet when I bought the boat 12 years ago was square section handrails welded on top of the raised grips which I had felt were insufficiently secure on our previous shared boat.   Also more versatile for hanging extra fenders, stringing washing lines, etc.

Not further in on the roof, either - I could imagine if I slipped off the gunwale that would put terrific, even breaking, strain between wrist and elbow.  

DSCN0193.JPG

Love the dog :D

Emily Anne has tubular rails, maybe 1 inch dia and reasonably thick wall, certainly we have not bend any as you see on some boats.

They are set well in, maybe 6inches, so the corner of cabin basically all ways hits first, this is reinforced with a doubling strip the whole way down.

I'm very happy with it, you can get a positive grip, secure ropes/fenders to it, tie down anything on the deck if needed, and while the rain/swabbings runs off all the way along obviously you also do not have the issue of a single point where it runs down in high volumes.

Pros and cons to both, obviously.

Daniel

9 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

My last 'boat' had a row of 4' high aluminium stanchions with 3 x rubber covered steel wires running through them, tightened by stainless turnbuckles. You could walk up and down the gunwales all day (weather permitting), but it was a bit further to fall and the water was a bit deeper. You've had some like that too, haven't you Tim? Surely they were best? :D

Absolooooooooootely and I can remember chipping hammer in hand in the arctic circle knocking ice off them several times during a few months up there one winter. Proper boat deep draughted ( seventeen feet ) with 30,000 shp went like you know what off a stick ..... bloooomin proper times.

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

It's a very nice dog, but I'm not surprised it looks a bit sheepish - it hasn't made much of a job of coiling those ropes!  He'd be better off with....

A Stringer Spaniel

:o oooohhhhhh that is soooooooooooooooooooooo bbaaaaaaaaaaaadddddddddddddddd

The "handrails" on my boat, when I had it, were box. They collected the dirt and muck and the leaves. The paint work in the corners was very difficult to get at for de-rusting. Where the outlet holes were there was a permanent water mark down the cabin sides. They were extremely unsafe to use as grab rails especially when wet. If I ever go back on to the canals, not likely in the present climate, I will have tubular rails.