Thoughts on this tug

Jon57

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Markinaboat said:

Thanks for replying to so quickly! I'm sure Malcolm Pearson told me it would be around 2'4" but I'll be seeing him again tomorrow so will double-check. Was thinking of going to view but 2+ hours away. Ideas of stretching again to 62ft and/or grab 4ft of the tug deck. I'm ready for the verbal attack on here now! :D

Edited by Markinaboat

10 hours ago, Markinaboat said:

Thanks for replying to so quickly! I'm sure Malcolm Pearson told me it would be around 2'4" but I'll be seeing him again tomorrow so will double-check. Was thinking of going to view but 2+ hours away. Ideas of stretching again to 62ft and/or grab 4ft of the tug deck. I'm ready for the verbal attack on here now! :D

Do you know the story? If so, do share!?

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

It at Wincham Wharf at the moment looking unloved if its the one built by Graham Booth

Yes, Graham did the refit in 94 when it was stretched to 57ft.

I had a little look at Kyle. It is a spectacular boat that shows both its age and pedigree. If you want a boaty boat rather than some white interior cottage its lovely. However its 1982 in the main. That means it needs a good survey as it could be anything from perfect to a liability, and you wont know until you stump up the survey cost.

8 hours ago, Tonka said:

Not beyond repair just did not look as good as the rest of the hull. I last saw her in October so this may have been addressed by now

The brokers blurb states was last blacked in March 2013, a lot can happen in 5 yrs. Interestingly, Malcolm recently bought one of his boats 'Tantalus' which I believe may be a couple of years younger and it was to his satisfaction. So hopefully the quality of the steel used then will live up to it's expectations overall.

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

I had a little look at Kyle. It is a spectacular boat that shows both its age and pedigree. If you want a boaty boat rather than some white interior cottage its lovely. However its 1982 in the main. That means it needs a good survey as it could be anything from perfect to a liability, and you wont know until you stump up the survey cost.

If I do go this route, then as mentioned, would stretch to 62ft and possibly have the forward bulkhead moved forward by 2-4ft. Then refit from the galley forward and introduce a bedroom, probably where the galley is and the galley up forward. All just ideas having failed miserably from changing to a modern semi-trad from years on trads!

On 31/03/2018 at 10:14, Jon57 said:

Hi. Brian the previous owner told me it was near as dammit 36Inches. Draft that is! if you know Brian he can tell a very good story.

just lost out on a Steve Hudson 50 ft tug on the duck. All arranged with the owner to view Monday as they where doing some work on her. Got a phone call last night to say she’s been sold. Well gutted most be more pushy next time.

Just to put the record straight, Kyle was built to a draft of just over 2’6” - 2’4” between counter bottom and skeg plus 2 and a bit inches for the skeg and base plate. If she was trimmed a bit down at the stern, and the RN opened up it’s conceivable she could pull down to nearer 3’ under way.

• 2 years later...
22 hours ago, dmr said:

To revive an old thread, we shared a few locks with Kyle a couple of weeks ago, a truly lovely boat, don't know what it sold for but likely worth every penny. ?

.................Dave

My good friend Big Jimmy is the current and proud owner of Kyle. He absolutely loves it There's a bit of work to do especially on the electrics but he's working his way through it. Apparently it was up for sale for some considerable time and I believe he got it for a very attractive price. If you're still on the Rochdale I'm sure he would like to chat especially if you know something of Kyle's history.

1 minute ago, Midnight said:

My good friend Big Jimmy is the current and proud owner of Kyle. He absolutely loves it There's a bit of work to do especially on the electrics but he's working his way through it. Apparently it was up for sale for some considerable time and I believe he got it for a very attractive price. If you're still on the Rochdale I'm sure he would like to chat especially if you know something of Kyle's history.

We have spoken, in fact despite the lockdown rules we had a rather nice outdoor drinking session in Todmorden. ? 

My wife spent some of her younger years in the North East so there was a lot to talk about.

..............Dave

Just now, dmr said:

We have spoken, in fact despite the lockdown rules we had a rather nice outdoor drinking session in Todmorden. ? 

My wife spent some of her younger years in the North East so there was a lot to talk about.

..............Dave

Whatever he told you about me is lies :D:D:D

• Haha 1