Thoughts on this tug

Jon57

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Hi.No was sold within a week of viewing it. Got my eye on another tug. Not a Les Allen though. The owner may be selling it soon got my name down as first refusal if he's going to sell this year fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed. 

5 hours ago, matty40s said:

3 days after being advertised. 

I passed Persia somewhere in the Nuneaton area a few weeks ago. It doesn't surprise me it sold quickly notwithstanding the price tag. It looked every inch a top quality boat.

JP

ETA - you must have passed it too as you were an evening's and an early morning's cruising ahead of me.

Edited by Captain Pegg

14 hours ago, matty40s said:

This tug deck has just sold too, only been listed a few days, if that!!

https://rugbyboats.co.uk/listings/yarwood-66ft-tug-style-narrowboat-2012/

Interesting that when built "Yarwood" was claimed to be a replica of a Yarwoods built working boat - in fact in their blog the owners cited boats like Sickle and Thea as their inspiration, but when it came to market this was not even mentioned. (IMO, it has always been hard to tell how much of a true Yarwoods look it has, because it is painted in a style not applied to such boats).

I suspect that at only 5years old it has probably achieved no more than two thirds of what it must have cost the owners, so is certainly proof that if you have such a bespoke build  you will never do terribly well out of not keeping it long.  (This is not an intended criticism, as I know the owners have cruised very extensively in the boat, and have had huge use of it).

It's a strange beast, because of its 66 foot length - not far off full length, but ruling out many canals in the North.  I find it odd that with so much length to play with it has no permanent double bed, and seems to be strictly two berth with only the cross bed in the back cabin.  Although widened to 4' 6" apparently, this will not be a good solution for taller owners.

A lavish boat, undoubtedly built at a lot of cost, and with lots of extras, but quite a limited market for it, I would have thought?

4 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I suspect that at only 5years old it has probably achieved no more than two thirds of what it must have cost the owners, so is certainly proof that if you have such a bespoke build  you will never do terribly well out of not keeping it long. 

I doubt anyone building or fitting out  a new boat to their specific design ever does it as an investment. Most I'm sure lose a substantial chunk of value as soon as the new owners step on board. Non the less it's a nice looking boat and the speed of the sale was impressive and I expect the past and new owners are very pleased with her. 

Interestingly a friend had his boat surveyed and valued last week and was pleasently surprised at the valuation. This reputable surveyor said that values were increasing and there was a shortage of good boats. 

4 minutes ago, Tuscan said:

I doubt anyone building or fitting out  a new boat to their specific design ever does it as an investment. Most I'm sure lose a substantial chunk of value as soon as the new owners step on board. Non the less it's a nice looking boat and the speed of the sale was impressive and I expect the past and new owners are very pleased with her. 

Interestingly a friend had his boat surveyed and valued last week and was pleasently surprised at the valuation. This reputable surveyor said that values were increasing and there was a shortage of good boats. 

Yes, all agreed, and the people who had Yarwood built clearly wanted something very special to them, so who but them can put a value on the 5 years they have had out of it.

It would be interesting though to know what the relative losses are in selling a highly bespoke boat like this after 5 years, and a well appointed boat of say 57 feet from a good builder, with a good fit out, but without the huge amount of extras and "bespokeness".

I have no idea, but I suspect even in percentage terms the depreciation would be far less, and in actual pounds hugely so.

I forgot to say that Yarwood only has a Beta JD3 engine - if going for a fancy modern boat, with a "real" engine room, I would at least insist on a "real" engine, but we are all different, of course.  I am not in any way a fan of the Beta tug engine!

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

Is it just my perception, or do long tugs rarely look "right"?

P2030534.JPG

13 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

P2030534.JPG

I don't think my comment was hasty! This boat has very satisfying proportions (and I was sorry she wasn't at Alvecote this year).

It is perhaps because most original tugs were not full-length, that some very long ones look over-stretched and ungainly to my eyes. At Alvecote there was a very attractive one called 'Finch' which I would guess was about 50' or very slightly longer, she looked very well balanced. 

Edited by Athy

Very nice looking boat and that's important to me. You could get more space in any old boat but that won't make your heart beat faster when you look at it. As for price how much would it cost to build it now? how much has it lost over the years? How much will the owner really take or it?  Really difficult to know but its always worth a silly offer just in case.

• Haha 1

• 6 months later...
On 18/08/2017 at 20:46, Jon57 said:

Your right of course! Very tricky how to play this, don't want to upset the seller with a offer now, or wait a few weeks then see it go. Not many nice les Allen  tugs about. There's also another tug Kyle on the duck which is of interest but it's 3 ft draft and no bowthruster. I know! Don't go their but if single handing could be hard work. At least the first boat is only 28inch draft and a bowthruster to help.

Jon, may I ask where you got a 3ft draft for Kyle from?

On 9/19/2017 at 09:02, alan_fincher said:

P2030534.JPG

"HASTY" is a very lovely boat but not quite to my taste. I'd raise you Ian Kemp's masterpiece "GAZELLE" for being even closer to aesthetic perfection.

Sadly I can't find a photo anywhere!

Hi. Brian the previous owner told me it was near as dammit 36Inches. Draft that is! if you know Brian he can tell a very good story.

just lost out on a Steve Hudson 50 ft tug on the duck. All arranged with the owner to view Monday as they where doing some work on her. Got a phone call last night to say she’s been sold. Well gutted most be more pushy next time.

55 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Hi. Brian the previous owner told me it was near as dammit 36Inches. Draft that is! if you know Brian he can tell a very good story.

just lost out on a Steve Hudson 50 ft tug on the duck. All arranged with the owner to view Monday as they where doing some work on her. Got a phone call last night to say she’s been sold. Well gutted most be more pushy next time.

Thanks for replying to so quickly! I'm sure Malcolm Pearson told me it would be around 2'4" but I'll be seeing him again tomorrow so will double-check. Was thinking of going to view but 2+ hours away. Ideas of stretching again to 62ft and/or grab 4ft of the tug deck. I'm ready for the verbal attack on here now! :D

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

"HASTY" is a very lovely boat but not quite to my taste. I'd raise you Ian Kemp's masterpiece "GAZELLE" for being even closer to aesthetic perfection.

Sadly I can't find a photo anywhere!

Ian Kemp has a Facebook page "Ian Kemp Restoration Services" There are 11 photos of "GAZELLE" on a post dated May 25 2014.

Scroll down his page a short way to find them.

https://www.facebook.com/ifkemprestorationservices/

https://www.facebook.com/pg/ifkemprestorationservices/photos/?ref=page_internal

That be some 'andsome, as they used to say.

There's a current thread about tall chimneys; Gazelle's exhaust chimney looks as if it would need to be taken down at almost every bridge.