Diesel etc Ashby canal.

Boat&Bikes

Featured Posts

If you use Bosworth marina beware of the wind, if its up then you would be best to wait till no boats are on the service pontoon then head straight for it and moor on open side, dont try and get onto the other side, between the pontoons, wind will play havoc!

Not sure what split they let you do there as only used it once and went 60/40.

Trinity marina will let you decide what split, even 100%.

I didn't know Ashby boats sold diesel, knew they did pump outs, think its about £15 or £18 with blue.

Ashby Boats do sell diesel, it was 58p/l last week, it is alongside the canal so couldn't be simpler to take on board in any conditions and you may chose any split you like.

The only cheaper supplier I have used this year is at Wheaton Ashton on the Shroppie which was 57p/l about 6 weeks ago; again, any split is acceptable to them.

Suggest to them when you are there that they should stick a big price up so everyone knows they are great value. I'll bet that it is not only the previous poster that wasn't aware that they even sold diesel, let alone that they are one of the cheapest on the canal network. I'll bet they could double their sales.

4 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

Suggest to them when you are there that they should stick a big price up so everyone knows they are great value. I'll bet that it is not only the previous poster that wasn't aware that they even sold diesel, let alone that they are one of the cheapest on the canal network. I'll bet they could double their sales.

Maybe they don't want the trade as it stops them doing something else

28 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Maybe they don't want the trade as it stops them doing something else

Then the wise business move would be to advertise the price, and raise it bit by bit until they sell the volume they want, and at the highest possible price. 

Might be best not to suggest it though!

I suspect that they can't be bothered to write a price board and have the 'bother' of keeping it up to date as fuel prices change; their loss.

I can see that selling diesel is at best not a priority and at worst a bloody nuisance for boatyards, what with the time required and the paperwork.  I can quite understand a boatyard not wanting to boost their diesel sales, and at 58p/litre there must be very little profit.

6 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I can see that selling diesel is at best not a priority and at worst a bloody nuisance for boatyards, what with the time required and the paperwork.  I can quite understand a boatyard not wanting to boost their diesel sales, and at 58p/litre there must be very little profit.

Not so: I was chatting to the owner of the fuel stop at Wheaton Aston who sells his diesel at 57p/l, even less. This organisation is both beside the road with roadside pumps for road vehicles and also next to the Shroppie with a canalside pump for boats. He very openly said to me that the canal sales represented 80% of all of their fuel sales and so was a very important and profitable part of their business and clearly well worth the extra paperwork.

Nobody makes them offer diesel to passing boaters if it is so unprofitable and labour intensive.