Inundated with emails - why?

junior
Go to solution Solved by Alan de Enfield,

Featured Posts

• Solution

There was a big update earlier this week - all 'notifications' defaulted to 'on', so as soon as you post in a thread it thinks you want to  'follow' that thread and every time there is a post in that thread you get and email - it will also start to follow random people and notify you when ever they post.

There have been a number of threads on the problem.

As Ian said - go into your 'set-up' and un-tick all the notifications and you will be back to 'as you were'.

I thought putting a big notice at the top of every page might help but it appears I am mistaken? :(

notice.png

9 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There was a big update earlier this week - all 'notifications' defaulted to 'on', so as soon as you post in a thread it thinks you want to  'follow' that thread and every time there is a post in that thread you get and email - it will also start to follow random people and notify you when ever they post.

There have been a number of threads on the problem.

As Ian said - go into your 'set-up' and un-tick all the notifications and you will be back to 'as you were'.

I have marked this as best answer but it wasn't caused by an update. I just noticed that "Notify me of replies" wasn't automatically switching on even when selected to do so. To fix this, I had to reset the notifications system which unfortunately means people may need to update their preferences if they don't like the default options. This isn't necessarily a bad thing given users may not have updated them in years.