Painting Over Antislip / Non-slip Roof

Featured Posts

We are currenrly repainting our 57' narrowboat. The roof is nearly completely covered in 'antislip', except for some masked strips, and the handrails. It looks like sand sprinkled onto, and painted over with some kind of gloss. As far as we know it was done around 6-7 years ago.

A very good job must have been done as it still looks very good, and appears pretty much completely intact. Because of time and money, we are loath to strip it this year, the rest of the boat is our priority. We would like to clean it and paint over it, and try and get a couple more years out of it.

My questions are, what undercoat / topcoat paint would people suggest - it is currently blue, we would like a light raddle red / red oxide? It would need to be pretty forgiving on the nonslip, but still gloss up nicely on the handrails.

Also, any suggestions for an environmentally friendly cleaner to get rid of the dirt and bits where it's gone green?Ecover washing up liquid and a scrubbing brush has got rid of most of the dirt, but a few stubborn stains remain.

Thank you for any suggestions. 

As for over coating the sanded surface, every coat will make it less non-slip as it smooths out the sand. Also, if the existing top coat is still glossy I'm not sure how well an undercoat would adhere. If you do decide to give it a go then maybe you'd be best off re-sanding it on the penultimate coat. 

Edited by WotEver
Clarity.

My boat had a rough roof when we got it. I think it was paint over sand, but it could have been something like Interdeck, with the grit in the paint. I sanded it down to create a key for the next coat, but nowhere near back to bare metal, and it was still rough. A couple of coats of International Pre Kote undercoat and it was smooth. Another coat of undercoat and a couple of coats of Craftmaster Raddle Grey, and it's almost perfect - needs one more coat of the topcoat.

Not worried about loosing any non slip properties, the long term plan is to remove it altogether. I'm not a fan of it.

The gloss isn't very glossy anymore. The non sanded bits I can prep for painting as the rest of the boat. I thought the sanded parts might be key enough by nature of the finish to paint straight on to?

If the paint work is in good condition, i.e. not flaking or rusty, then once you have cleaned off all the crud, very difficult to key up the surface, you should be able to just use gloss paint, no need for undercoat, especially as you intend to remove it in the not too distant future.

• Happy 1

11 hours ago, WotEver said:

Mucoff Marine. 

Didn't realise Mucoff made a marine specific - i'm guessing it's a citrus based cleaner like their bike stuff. Thanks for the idea.

9 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

My boat had a rough roof when we got it. I think it was paint over sand, but it could have been something like Interdeck, with the grit in the paint. I sanded it down to create a key for the next coat, but nowhere near back to bare metal, and it was still rough. A couple of coats of International Pre Kote undercoat and it was smooth. Another coat of undercoat and a couple of coats of Craftmaster Raddle Grey, and it's almost perfect - needs one more coat of the topcoat.

What did you sand the sandy stuff with? I did consider sanding with the orbital da I already have, but thought the sanded finish would just eat sanding discs. 

28 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Surely all that matters is getting the old paint really clean - why would you need to sand it isn't the surface already "keyed"?

No, between the sand grains will be gloss paint.

the solution I have used is to clean it thoroughly and then wire brush the surface to key it. Hard work but at least the paint has something to stick to.

10 hours ago, Narrowboat Family said:

Not worried about loosing any non slip properties, the long term plan is to remove it altogether. I'm not a fan of it.

Our first shareboat had a gloss painted cabin top, not non-slip sanded areas.

It was lethally slippery when wet, making it impossible to safely use the cabin top in locks, and was sanded at the first years maintenance.

I would never consider a cabin top without non slip properties. 

Aldi's caravan cleaner and a scrubbing brush make for relatively quick and easy sanded paint cleaning. 

1 hour ago, Narrowboat Family said:

What did you sand the sandy stuff with? I did consider sanding with the orbital da I already have, but thought the sanded finish would just eat sanding discs. 

I can't properly remember, but I'm fairly sure it was a Bosch orbital sander with fairly rough discs. It could have been a drill with wire brush attachment, followed by sander.