NB Aye

Dave Payne

Featured Posts

There used to be an old boat at mancetter, on the coventry canal, im sure most who have passed have noticed it, moored on the bend, old working boat with steel covers all the way down, no engine and sitting high in the water.

It vanished some time ago and i spotted something on facebook saying it was going for restoration, just wondering if anyone knows anymore really, used to dream of converting it every time i passed.

The one moored to the wall on the offside of a bend? Haven't seen it there for over a year.

The covers were "dustbin lids", removeable fibreglass covers designed to speed up loading & unloading by eliminating the need to cloth up on the last generation of working boats.

No idea where it went though.  :mellow:

2 hours ago, Dave Payne said:

There used to be an old boat at mancetter, on the coventry canal, im sure most who have passed have noticed it, moored on the bend, old working boat with steel covers all the way down, no engine and sitting high in the water.

It vanished some time ago and i spotted something on facebook saying it was going for restoration, just wondering if anyone knows anymore really, used to dream of converting it every time i passed.

I remember them, isn't one them Admiral Class Grenville?  BWB use to use it on maintenance up on The Caldon in the 80s?

Don't be insulted Dave, but the last thing I'd want to have happen is a "conversion".

54 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

I remember them, isn't one them Admiral Class Grenville?  BWB use to use it on maintenance up on The Caldon in the 80s?

Don't be insulted Dave, but the last thing I'd want to have happen is a "conversion".

GRENVILLE has been operated by the Rothen's since it was raised at Etruria in 2012 following being sunk for just over a year due to ice damage. GRENVILLE has been in use as a canal maintenance boat since about 1973 when it was returned to British Waterways Board by Anderton Canal Carrying Company, Preston Brook.

Like 'zenataomm', I am of the opinion that it would be a great shame for boats such as these to be converted - even though AYE and WEY have lost some of their historical integrity in becoming counter sterned motors :captain: