Thoughts on this boat?

RichM

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, Timx said:

Who built the hull, who fitted it out and what is the condition of the engine is the main considerations

Narrowcraft, Narrowcraft, looks clean and tidy... he'd need to check service history and give it a run I guess. 

Narrowcraft is that dry dock just before Atherstone isn't it?  They may have fitted it out, but who knows who built the shell.  That's why it's cheap for a nine year old sixty footer.  It's not a looker that's for sure, the front well is way too short in fact it looks like a stretched boat to me.

But the spec is very good and it has a good engine and the all important flexible drive I can't tell whether it's Aquadrive or Python Drive but to me it puts £1500 on the price of any boat.

Looks good, my only thoughts are re the engine servicing.

It has 5500 hours on the clock, which is around 600 hours per year. Last service June 2015, means 26 months ago, or around 1300 hours ago. What is a Barrus service interval?

Our Beta 43 is 250 hours. 

11 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Don't think so. I believe they're based in Alvecote. 

I think the dry dock at Grendon  I'm thinking of is part of the Alvecote operation, I'm still not sure that "Narrowcraft" actually build their own shells, others may have better knowledge.

Horses for course! I think she looks very tidy and if I had the money ( and a few other matters to resolve) I would arm wrestle you for her! 

Looks ckean in in and out with a good layout.    Service issues on the engines and survey aside.     

Good luck! 

8 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Narrowcraft is that dry dock just before Atherstone isn't it?  They may have fitted it out, but who knows who built the shell.  That's why it's cheap for a nine year old sixty footer.  It's not a looker that's for sure, the front well is way too short in fact it looks like a stretched boat to me.

The photo of the front well is suffering from camera angle, it's quite normal in real life having seen it yesterday.

Boats like this are flying out of any brokers in the present climate, it won't be there long. 

In fact, if I was eabuying now, I would be badgering brokers to let me know what is coming in before it hits the websites.....boats are getting sold for asking price or near before they are listed.

8 hours ago, MHS said:

Looks good, my only thoughts are re the engine servicing.

It has 5500 hours on the clock, which is around 600 hours per year. Last service June 2015, means 26 months ago, or around 1300 hours ago. What is a Barrus service interval?

Unless if was used extensively at first and has sat in a marina for the last 12 -18 months- hence the sale.

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Unless if was used extensively at first and has sat in a marina for the last 12 -18 months- hence the sale.

In which case the engine may not have been run much since, which is not good for it. 

I just wonder if the lack of servicing indicates the boat may have been mechanically neglected recently. That's probably fairly normal once people use their boat less, before deciding it's time to sell. 

Narrowcraft are based at Alvecote and own the dock at Grendon, where they paint boats. 

According to the signage on their van, their boats are built in Gdansk, Poland.

One of my neighbours has a Narrowcraft boat, and whilst the shell lacks style (to my eye), it is well constructed. The interior fit out is to a very high standard. 

As others have said, in the current climate it will sell quickly, so I would offer 10% below asking price, subject to survey, and be prepared to raise your offer if it is initially rejected.

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

Boats like this are flying out of any brokers in the present climate, it won't be there long. 

In fact, if I was eabuying now, I would be badgering brokers to let me know what is coming in before it hits the websites.....boats are getting sold for asking price or near before they are listed.

When we bought DQ three years ago, the current Sellers market was just beginning.

We went to look at two other boats at that particular brokerage,  but the broker advised that DQ was coming in over the weekend and advised us to delay our visit to the Monday, so we could see her.

We saw her and the other boats, liked her and offered 10% under asking price, subject to survey. It was rejected so I raised the offer by a couple of grand and this offer was accepted.

The survey revealed no faults except a "faulty" combi charger, which I further negotiated the price down (back to my "original" offer). Upon collection and bringing her to my end of garden mooring, I found that the combi charger had mysteriously fixed itself, and has continued to work ever since, so I suspect it was a tactic by my surveyor to help me justify his costs. :)

Edited by cuthound
Clarification

Interesting arrangement to keep the alternators cool. I wonder if there is some "history" there. I would be interested in how much running the engine has done since the last service. If its sat there with clean oil that's a lot better than acidic rubbish sat in its innards for the last 18 months. It's unlikely to be a deal breaker but is something else to haggle over.

12 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Looks tidy, not sure how it compares price wise but if it ticks your boxes and checks out ok then worth an offer.

Narrowcraft (Malcolm Burge) had a purpose built factory in Gdansk Poland where the shells and fit out were done in house. They were built to a very high standard with a 12mm base plate. The interiors were all solid wood with nice radiused corners and edges. My boat Phoebe was built by Narrowcraft in 2008 and I am still  very pleased with it.

If this one has been looked after I think it will sell quickly, so I think it would be worth a look.

A quick check on BSS database shows she was examined in 2016 and passed with no Advisories. 

If you are keen I would recommend a survey (I am a BSS examiner but not a surveyor). But be careful which surveyor you choose. I know a few who are under investigation at this moment and one who chose to settle out of court. 

Offline I can recommend a few who are good & reasonable but as ever.

Caviat Emptor. 

6 hours ago, Steve@iwabss-limited.co.uk said:

But be careful which surveyor you choose. I know a few who are under investigation at this moment and one who chose to settle out of court. 

Out of interest, who investigates a surveyor, and on what basis? I thought anyone could claim to be a surveyor without needing any qualifications.

Narrow craft boats look very, very like Amber boats. I have one and it's flipping brilliant. Good spec with aquadrive and decent engine. Neat electrics and well fitted out. I think there was a relationship between the two companies at one time. If you like it buy it, it's a reasonable price. 

On 17/08/2017 at 17:18, ianali said:

Narrow craft boats look very, very like Amber boats. I have one and it's flipping brilliant. Good spec with aquadrive and decent engine. Neat electrics and well fitted out. I think there was a relationship between the two companies at one time. If you like it buy it, it's a reasonable price. 

Same designer, Paul Geary. He went to Narrowcraft after Amber went into liquidation. He ran the Narrowcraft factory in Poland I think.

.https://canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/9092-amber-boats/