School Days - Day 02

Featured Posts

I didn't stay overnight on School Days as it was still full of junk that needed tossing out.

As I was being driven (by my dad) to the mooring for day two I was looking at the BoatBook app. I forgot that I'd started it recording the journey (by GPS). I shows quite clearly my botched entry to Bowling Basin!

day1-route.jpg.0baa0de7e5b0d2dd0c71ea541849bd09.jpg

Oh. Dear. Lord! You can see (the black line) where I went right over the submerged sea wall! Wow.

Anyway, day two was all about finding where things were and cleaning. I got all the junk out, and got things presentable:

IMG_20170814_110853.jpg.3551e3f6cc7f3603c9ca663c1a3fab9c.jpg

IMG_20170814_110918.jpg.4c0e0a094bc0750192631e48334c56aa.jpg

IMG_20170814_111112.jpg.6b6043185d5a20dc05b022f1edf68933.jpg

And I spent a good hour/two shining up that bell. She's glorious!

IMG_20170814_111123.jpg.3a8b32584dcb221a2da40e5906c96b9f.jpg

Unfortunately, the real world beckons and I must return to work. Next weekend I'll need to move School Days so that she's facing the other way to clean the other side of the boat (windows, etc.).

I did notice that the (pram) hood has a couple of small pinholes where water can get in. It's a very slow drip, but I've left buckets just in case it rains. Also, the water pump (for the sink) isn't coming on when the tap is on. Well, it did work a couple of times, but now nothing. I'll buy a replacement tap. I've had the floor up and a look at the water pump. When the tap is off the voltage at the pump reads 0V (as it should) but when the tap is on it only registered as 2V. So that's not right.

When I return I'll bring some bits and bobs to get the hood and water supply fixed. I notice that the owner has left a second (unconnected) battery. So getting that fixed up as a leisure battery could be a future project, and also replacing some of the lights with low power LEDs. The galley light has an old filament bulb in it, and the one above the ships bell has an old fuse style light bulb! The seating area light has LEDs (as in glass 2V LEDs which I'll replace) but no local on/off switch. You need to switch it on/off from the cockpit.

Roll on next weekend!

2 hours ago, ronnietucker said:

I didn't stay overnight on School Days as it was still full of junk that needed tossing out.

As I was being driven (by my dad) to the mooring for day two I was looking at the BoatBook app. I forgot that I'd started it recording the journey (by GPS). I shows quite clearly my botched entry to Bowling Basin!

day1-route.jpg.0baa0de7e5b0d2dd0c71ea541849bd09.jpg

Oh. Dear. Lord! You can see (the black line) where I went right over the submerged sea wall! Wow.

You're not the first (or last :D),When Bev (green widebeam, Pecadillo) left on her coastal adventure, she went over it as well, and that was through the wash of a boat speeding upstream.

I did notice that the (pram) hood has a couple of small pinholes where water can get in. It's a very slow drip, but I've left buckets just in case it rains.

Gaffer tape or Duck is the stuff for this. Gamebird had a Duck tape patch for years!

Also, the water pump (for the sink) isn't coming on when the tap is on. Well, it did work a couple of times, but now nothing. I'll buy a replacement tap. I've had the floor up and a look at the water pump. When the tap is off the voltage at the pump reads 0V (as it should) but when the tap is on it only registered as 2V. So that's not right.

If it's operated from the tap, sometimes the microswitch is replaceable. (although often not :( ) Using the microswitch to turn on a relay which switches the pump on is a good idea, whether the microswitch is in a tap or part of the pump.

When I return I'll bring some bits and bobs to get the hood and water supply fixed. I notice that the owner has left a second (unconnected) battery. So getting that fixed up as a leisure battery could be a future project, and also replacing some of the lights with low power LEDs. The galley light has an old filament bulb in it, and the one above the ships bell has an old fuse style light bulb! The seating area light has LEDs (as in glass 2V LEDs which I'll replace) but no local on/off switch. You need to switch it on/off from the cockpit.

Roll on next weekend!

For the pinholes in the hood, I'm going to try some HH66 glue that was mentioned on the forum. It seems perfect for the job. If it stops the leaks then I'll probably do all the seams just to be on the safe side.

I've ordered up a new micro-switched tap. They're only about £15 on Amazon. I'm hoping that's what it is and the pump is OK as I don't fancy the hassle of changing the pump.