Shoppie fishing competition

Featured Posts

39 minutes ago, Peter-Bullfinch said:

Fifteen miles of blue sprayed splodges at intervals from south of the Audlem flight on towards Norbury to indicate the pegs.

This is a very slow section anyway with all the long lengths of moored boats but you may want a warning for this Saturday, the 19th.

20170816_090537.jpg

Good to see CRT are saving on printing costs. I take it that it is OK to moor between the blue marks as long as you don't moor on one!:)

Howard

Typical C&RT, half think something through, see what happens and then change or add to it next time around.

What's wrong with giving something two or three coats of looking at in the first place.  Thus recognising issues before they become problems.  No signs, unless they are printed and bear the correct C&RT logo will be or need to be given attention to. C&RT themselves have said as much regarding "No Mooring" signs etc.

I spoke about this to a fishing club bailiff recently, he had been doing this for over 25 years and was ignorant of the fact.  He thought he was entitled to put up restrictions to mooring wherever he wanted.  Consequently he was permanently disappointed with boaters' attitudes to his poorly spelt hand written signs demanding compliance with his wishes.

Wake up C&RT, you are the stewards of a resource that in turn you have invited all and sundry to come and enjoy. Your responsibility is to ensure all parties comply with your rules, do not assume any rights for themselves when it comes to changing those rules and only your signage and style to be displayed with permission from you, complete with a serial/reference number displayed.

C&RT haven't time to do these things properly, yet always have time to do it again.

• Happy 1

I do hope this blue sprayed marker washes away soon. It does appear to have a chalky finish so maybe it might.

I also wish the fishermen good fortune and a great day. I won't need to pass them because I'm past now at Wheaton Aston (56.9p per litre) . All the practising fishermen we passed today were good natured and friendly.

20170816_151120.jpg

Just been past Coole Pilate and there are signs up saying angling between bridges 80 & 84.  This includes the Coole Pilate visitor moorings, where they have also put signs up.

I thought they were going to specifically avoid the visitor moorings, but it seems not!

Fond memories of coming across a 5 mile fishing competition years ago, as I chugged past the start the authority figure asked if I was continuing for the full five miles, when I said yes he asked me to tell each fisherman to start fishing as I passed him/her. When I asked how they would know when to stop he said they would ask a boat going in the opposite direction to tell them to stop.

I have never had so many smiles, waves and "thank you" from so many normally morose fishermen.

I still don't understand why they all usually look so unhappy and miserable - I enjoy my hobbies and often smile when partaking!

54 minutes ago, manxmike said:

I still don't understand why they all usually look so unhappy and miserable - I enjoy my hobbies and often smile when partaking!

My understanding is that they take "misery pills" to help them get into the right frame of mind. :P

22 minutes ago, cuthound said:

My understanding is that they take "misery pills" to help them get into the right frame of mind. :P

The reason many of them don't smile is they are never around in nice weather. We had only one here yesterday and havnt seen any for a few weeks. When it turns cold and is absolutely peeing it down they come along with their articulated lorry tailer load of stuff and sit here all day in the rain??? you couldn't make it up but we all know its true.

1 hour ago, manxmike said:

I've never quite worked out whether fishing makes people miserable, or it's miserable people that go fishing...

1 hour ago, dor said:

I've never quite worked out whether fishing makes people miserable, or it's miserable people that go fishing...

They go fishing to cheer up, So they must be incredibly bloody miserable the rest of the time!

If you could step into the mind of a fisherman, you would most likely find a very calm  and contented feeling. I love to go fishing. I enjoy the lack of stress, the peace and tranquility, the idyllic surroundings and being close to nature. Its a million miles away from toil of everyday life. I have never met a fisherman who will not happily enjoy a chat on the bank (especially if you are an angler yourself). Much like boaters chatting to other boaters. Personally I will pass the day chatting to anyone who cares to stop for a natter. It helps to pass the time.

Perhaps its just that boats and fishing don't mix well together if both are done at the same spot. Walk the towpath and speak to an angler. You may get a different impression and a smile.

Edited by AllanC

2 minutes ago, AllanC said:

Walk the towpath and speak to an angler. You may get a different impression and a smile.

When walking the towpath is tripping over or jumping over the said fishermans silly pole the recommended way?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

I was being facetious in my last post. The vast majority of fisherpeoples on the system are like the vast majority people we have interacted with whilst cruising, that is very friendly. Because of the general friendliness on the waterways the few prats stand out.

3 hours ago, manxmike said:

Fond memories of coming across a 5 mile fishing competition years ago, as I chugged past the start the authority figure asked if I was continuing for the full five miles, when I said yes he asked me to tell each fisherman to start fishing as I passed him/her. When I asked how they would know when to stop he said they would ask a boat going in the opposite direction to tell them to stop.

I have never had so many smiles, waves and "thank you" from so many normally morose fishermen.

The most fun I ever had with some fishermen was one morning coming out of Worcester. Up from Blockhouse lock there was a competition going on, and while the towpath was on the right, due to boats coming down towards me, I had to keep hard over by the towpath. Unfortunately the Brumtug that I was on had a wet exhaust, and it gave each angler a gentle hosing down. I did keep a straight face, and also apologised.

• Greenie 1

Ah, there's the rub. I use rods not poles, so I tend not to obstruct the towpaths. Some of those fishing poles can cost a fortune and anglers can be very protective of them. Also having to move them every 5 minutes for a walker or cyclist could be annoying. A polite excuse me will usually get a positive result.

The problem is always the same. Walkers and cyclists think they own the towpaths and the anglers are a hindrance. To the angler its the other way round. We should all learn to share the space. 

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Met a charming fishermen yesterday. Called me a fffin c@@@ 

Maybe it was a term of endearment.:)