Skipton Visitor Moorings

LilyD

Featured Posts

Just a warning to anyone who is on, or plans to use, the Skipton visitor moorings during the school holidays. We are moored up behind the council offices and have just had our ropes untied by a group of teenagers who have been hanging around the 14 day moorings for a couple of days. There are 5 or 6 of them, a mixed group, and the ringleader is @15, with short, blond hair. They are on the look out for trouble. I have photos of them.

Very annoying, I sympathise, are you tying the ropes back to your boat, I'e  they have to get on your boat to untie. Get some motion lights, might help to deter when darker.if they jump on your boat , then you can set off an alarm, you can buy cheap pull alarms. Anything helps.

When we moored in skipton a couple of years ago we were opposite a car park which seemed to attract a certain type of youth...when space became available we moved round to by a big chimney for a second night which was much quieter...it's funny how a place changes in just a couple of hundred yards. I hope you didn't have further problems. 

18 hours ago, Timx said:

Very annoying, I sympathise, are you tying the ropes back to your boat, I'e  they have to get on your boat to untie. Get some motion lights, might help to deter when darker.if they jump on your boat , then you can set off an alarm, you can buy cheap pull alarms. Anything helps.

We are doing so now, we're also looking at other security measures e.g a chain for mooring. Also a dog that will wake up in time to bark and not just sleep through it all!

11 hours ago, frangar said:

When we moored in skipton a couple of years ago we were opposite a car park which seemed to attract a certain type of youth...when space became available we moved round to by a big chimney for a second night which was much quieter...it's funny how a place changes in just a couple of hundred yards. I hope you didn't have further problems. 

It is strange how areas can differ. We always try to stay where there is bright lighting when in towns. Didn't work out so well this time though. However, it was a good learning experience and no real damage was done. The police are looking into it, as well. We moved off this morning as we have to get back to Burnley in time for the match on Saturday!

I've been moored in Skipton for around 10 days on the moorings between the two swing bridges to the Liverpool side of the basin. It's been very quiet with no bother from the local youth. The canal to the Leeds side of the basin looks less inviting, I think this is near the car park Frangar mentioned.  

9 minutes ago, Martin Megson said:

I've been moored in Skipton for around 10 days on the moorings between the two swing bridges to the Liverpool side of the basin. It's been very quiet with no bother from the local youth. The canal to the Leeds side of the basin looks less inviting, I think this is near the car park Frangar mentioned.  

Then we were neighbours! I think they picked on us because we're a bright & shiny widebeam. We were just by the water pipe near the electric swing bridge. Putting it down to experience now. The kids do seem to congregate over near the bus station; there was a herd of them there last night when we came back from the Chinese.

I think this a case of really bad luck, no-one could describe Skipton as a remotely dodgy location, I guess this sort of thing could happen literally anywhere if you happen to be in the wrong place when someone with mischievous intentions comes along.  The fact that the police are taking it seriously suggests it's not a routine occurrence.   

We moored in Skipton on the Leeds side of the services a couple of weeks ago without a hint of trouble. We've also moored in other areas of Skipton before without issues. As others have said, I think it's down to luck and problems can happen anywhere.

5 hours ago, Neil2 said:

I think this a case of really bad luck, no-one could describe Skipton as a remotely dodgy location, I guess this sort of thing could happen literally anywhere if you happen to be in the wrong place when someone with mischievous intentions comes along.  The fact that the police are taking it seriously suggests it's not a routine occurrence.   

While it's certainly correct to point out that these things can and do happen all over the system, especially in school holidays, I think that they just seem more shocking when they occur in a supposedly quiet/safe town like Skipton, although interestingly a bit of Googling suggests that there was a similar problem with vandalism seven years ago to the extent that the local paper was declaring Skipton a "no go area" for boaters:

http://www.cravenherald.co.uk/news/4861723.Thugs_make_canal_a__no_go__area/

“Canal boat owners obviously talk to each other and their message is, ‘Don’t stop in Skipton, you’ll get trouble from local kids,’” said Mrs Clarke.

“It’s sad, but Skipton is getting a really bad reputation. Instead of stopping, people are passing through and it’s a big loss for the town

Perhaps the above was hyperbole, but the Mrs Clarke quoted is one of the owners of Pennine Cruisers, so she presumably saw what was going on first hand?

The reason for my interest in this thread is that we are hiring on the L+L in September, and was planning an overnight at the location in question (i.e. between the swing bridges), but hopefully with the 'little darlings' being back at school by then, things should have quietened down by then?  

MARK

Last time we were untied was in Birmingham, on the canal near Broad Street. It happened twice in one night, which was annoying.

we commented that it hadn't happened to us 5 years ago when we'd moored there, then remembered that there had been an armed guard near our boat last time! 

Moral being, if you want to feel really safe go to Birmingham during the party conference season!

15 hours ago, LilyD said:

Then we were neighbours! I think they picked on us because we're a bright & shiny widebeam. We were just by the water pipe near the electric swing bridge. Putting it down to experience now. The kids do seem to congregate over near the bus station; there was a herd of them there last night when we came back from the Chinese.

Popped down to say hello but must have missed you.  Hope the experience doesn't put you off as it's a beautiful canal and a very nice little market town.  I'm biased as I'm a Yorkshireman.

We had a stone throwing incident whilst moored up, in the basin at Slaithwaite a few weeks back. The locals we spoke to were very surprised and we were assured this is definitely not the norm. We've just put it down to wrong place at the wrong time. 

I must admit though, with every passing uneventful night I become slightly less convinced that everybody under the age of 65 within the vicinity of my boat have mischief on there mind and bulging pockets of stones.

21 hours ago, Mrs Paxo said:

What a shame. It doesn't take more than a few little savages to ruin things does it?  We moored up outside the Herriot hotel. There for about 5 days. No troubles at all. Really handy for Morrisons. 

We may try there next time. I think part of it was we were quite visible (not hard in a widebeam) and moored next to steps down to the road. 

20 hours ago, Neil2 said:

I agree. We will be taking more care now and implementing stringent security measures. The police seemed to know who it was as well. Perhaps a stiff warning will help.

20 hours ago, Nick D said:

It's a shame you had this experience.  We live near Skipton and although our boat is not moored there, it's a really lovely town to visit and linger for a few days.

It's not put us off at all. We love Skipton and plan to be back in September for a few days.

17 hours ago, rgreg said:

We moored in Skipton on the Leeds side of the services a couple of weeks ago without a hint of trouble. We've also moored in other areas of Skipton before without issues. As others have said, I think it's down to luck and problems can happen anywhere.

I think Fate decided it was our turn this time!

14 hours ago, Mark Rawlinson said:

While it's certainly correct to point out that these things can and do happen all over the system, especially in school holidays, I think that they just seem more shocking when they occur in a supposedly quiet/safe town like Skipton, although interestingly a bit of Googling suggests that there was a similar problem with vandalism seven years ago to the extent that the local paper was declaring Skipton a "no go area" for boaters:

http://www.cravenherald.co.uk/news/4861723.Thugs_make_canal_a__no_go__area/

“Canal boat owners obviously talk to each other and their message is, ‘Don’t stop in Skipton, you’ll get trouble from local kids,’” said Mrs Clarke.

“It’s sad, but Skipton is getting a really bad reputation. Instead of stopping, people are passing through and it’s a big loss for the town

Perhaps the above was hyperbole, but the Mrs Clarke quoted is one of the owners of Pennine Cruisers, so she presumably saw what was going on first hand?

The reason for my interest in this thread is that we are hiring on the L+L in September, and was planning an overnight at the location in question (i.e. between the swing bridges), but hopefully with the 'little darlings' being back at school by then, things should have quietened down by then?  

MARK

Well, I wouldn't let our experience put you off. It is a lovely town and well worth staying there a few days. Between the swing bridges is a decent location, very handy for Morrison's and Bizzie Lizzie's. The little sweethearts should be back at school around 2nd September and, hopefully, too tired for mischief. We plan on going back in a couple of weeks, so may see you there!

6 hours ago, Martin Megson said:

Popped down to say hello but must have missed you.  Hope the experience doesn't put you off as it's a beautiful canal and a very nice little market town.  I'm biased as I'm a Yorkshireman.

Ah, no! We moved off yesterday morning and are now at Barrowford top lock for an overnighter. We'll be back up in a couple of weeks; we love Skipton. The canal is breathtaking and having the sun for the last few days has really brought the beauty to life. I normally  experience it through a drudge of rain, wind and mud! If you're still around I'll nip over and say hi.

1 hour ago, Gimley said:

We had a stone throwing incident whilst moored up, in the basin at Slaithwaite a few weeks back. The locals we spoke to were very surprised and we were assured this is definitely not the norm. We've just put it down to wrong place at the wrong time. 

I must admit though, with every passing uneventful night I become slightly less convinced that everybody under the age of 65 within the vicinity of my boat have mischief on there mind and bulging pockets of stones.

Absolutely nothing wrong with a healthy dose of paranoia!

Hi Lily

We are planning a trip from Nantwich to Leeds in September and researching the best moorings. We also have Skipton down and will take on board your comments. Plus Barrowford Visitor Moorings. What's your thoughts on those?

Also be interested in any other places to head for, or to avoid?

Thanks

Peter and Hazel

Barrowford moorings are very nice, just a bit breezy at times, we've spent a few nights there this year, re Skipton, we've spent many nights there and never had any problems,

I'd just avoid the moorings opposite the car park/water point which gets a bit noisy late at night due to the nearby night club. If you're coming east they are just past the canal basin.

Another good place to moor is Kildwick which is about 3 miles past Skipton.

Dave 

48 minutes ago, Peter Thornton said:

Hi Lily

We are planning a trip from Nantwich to Leeds in September and researching the best moorings. We also have Skipton down and will take on board your comments. Plus Barrowford Visitor Moorings. What's your thoughts on those?

Also be interested in any other places to head for, or to avoid?

Thanks

Peter and Hazel

I love the 3 day visitor moorings at Barrowford. It is so pretty there and very quiet at night. Barrowford is a lovely place too. I recommend stopping at either East Marten or Salterforth for an overnight and a meal in the local pubs, too. If you go down the locks, leave it til the morning, @8.30, and you may very well be helped by Michael, the lock keeper. He's a good guy and a great chatter. Further along takes you past Reedley Marina and into Burnley. Personally, I would recommend staying at Barrowford and not going any further.

Maybe see you en route!

1 minute ago, LilyD said:

I love the 3 day visitor moorings at Barrowford. It is so pretty there and very quiet at night. Barrowford is a lovely place too. I recommend stopping at either East Marten or Salterforth for an overnight and a meal in the local pubs, too. If you go down the locks, leave it til the morning, @8.30, and you may very well be helped by Michael, the lock keeper. He's a good guy and a great chatter. Further along takes you past Reedley Marina and into Burnley. Personally, I would recommend staying at Barrowford and not going any further.

Maybe see you en route!

You've confused me Lily, How can they not go further than Barrowford but you recommend Salterforth and East Marton, surely they are travelling east ??

Dave

It happens. We have been untied a few times over the years, last time was last year in Banbury I woke up in the middle of the cut. Yes its annoying some times but if its not a river its no big deal. Kids will be kids after all and much worse things happen at sea.