Water tap at Autherley junction?

MtB

Featured Posts

My Nicholsons shows a water tap at Autherley stop lock but my memory tells me there is no such thing.

Is Nicholsons wrong or did I just fail to spot it last time I passed?

If Nicholsons is wrong, does the tap listed at lock16 on the W21 still exist?

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

My Nicholsons shows a water tap at Autherley stop lock but my memory tells me there is no such thing.

There is a water point on the SU about 300 hundred yards or so from the stop lock (just past the boatyard). 

Howard

• Greenie 2

On 15/08/2017 at 00:02, howardang said:

There is a water point on the SU about 300 hundred yards or so from the stop lock (just past the boatyard). 

Howard

Thank you! 

As I'm going up the 21 though, 300 yds up is a bit of a long reverse to go back through the stop lock, dammit....

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thank you! 

As I'm going up the 21 though, 300 yds up is a bit of a long reverse to go back through the stop lock, dammit....

If it's turn around day don't worry too much cos with the amount of boats the hire company have in your boat will just about slide between them....they delight in mooring them on the lock landing too!! 

Edited by frangar

Top of W21 is the next water point then. Well, unless you sweet talk Oxley Marine.

yes the WP just before the boatyard/Jn is easy to miss, it's just a tap by the hedge.

Oh and I'd say it's perhaps 50'yds the other side of the boatyard, not a long reverse if you haven't yet gone through the stoplock.

Edited by nicknorman

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

There hasn't been a tap listed in Nicholson's at Lock 16 for quite some time. There is however, a shop in the vicinity.

1 hour ago, frangar said:

If it's turn around day don't worry too much cos with the amount of boats the hire company have in your boat will just about slide between them....they delight in mooring them on the lock landing too!! 

Mention the lock landing to staff and be prepared for a disgusting foul mouthed tirade in response, as we had last week, together with a spray from the hosepipe washing down the boat on the lock landing. They claim it is theirs in the lease from CaRT, but in days past, B.W maintained otherwise.They also expect to jump the queue when turning boats.

If there are boats on the lock landing, I always breast up to them; just be wary of raised deckboards when crossing.

Water point is above their yard, but marked with signs and rings.

3 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

There hasn't been a tap listed in Nicholson's at Lock 16 for quite some time. There is however, a shop in the vicinity.

The shop in Jones Road (which used to sell delicious Bhajis and Samosas) has now been reverted to residential use.

1 hour ago, frangar said:

A bit like this do you mean?

image.png.c3c56e2a7366abe810f008562b176056.png

2 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

Mention the lock landing to staff and be prepared for a disgusting foul mouthed tirade in response, as we had last week, together with a spray from the hosepipe washing down the boat on the lock landing. They claim it is theirs in the lease from CaRT, but in days past, B.W maintained otherwise.They also expect to jump the queue when turning boats.

If there are boats on the lock landing, I always breast up to them; just be wary of raised deckboards when crossing.

Last time I went through one of their chaps crossing the lock set it for me

They were two abreast both sides when I came through the stop lock with the Heritage Working Boats pair, the lady coming the other way wasn't quite sure where to go especially when I abandoned the motor leaving it floating free to work the butty through the lock.

On 8/15/2017 at 09:13, Ex Brummie said:

Water point is above their yard, but marked with signs and rings.

Perhaps a shame Sam Lomas is still not holding court at cut end the Hire Base staff if taking that attitude would have been sorted short order

Ok thanks for all the replies everyone. As is happens I decided to just go up the 21, which I did in record time. Entered the flight at 10.30 am and got to the top around 6pm. 

I filled the water tank at the Crt yard and didn't moor there overnight. Definitely not ok?

18 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ok thanks for all the replies everyone. As is happens I decided to just go up the 21, which I did in record time. Entered the flight at 10.30 am and got to the top around 6pm. 

I filled the water tank at the Crt yard and didn't moor there overnight. Definitely not ok?

Is that a record for the fastest or slowest time? Mooring in the top lock area seems a bad idea, mooring on the mainline moorings by the yard is extremely grotty. Which just leaves...

7 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Is that a record for the fastest or slowest time? Mooring in the top lock area seems a bad idea, mooring on the mainline moorings by the yard is extremely grotty. Which just leaves...

Now we''ll have many pages of best lock flight times, qualified by how high/low the pounds were after vandal intervention.

If you don't arrive until 6:30 pm, then after 8 hours on the flight, Broad Street would seem like paradise. Towpath side has been a lot quieter since the club closed in the old yard, offside gets very little footfall, and through the bridge, offside, there is no land access. (nor exit either) Traffic noise is the main deterrent.

On 16/08/2017 at 10:40, nicknorman said:

Is that a record for the fastest or slowest time? 

Have a guess...

On 16/08/2017 at 10:40, nicknorman said:

Mooring in the top lock area seems a bad idea, mooring on the mainline moorings by the yard is extremely grotty. Which just leaves...

"I didn't do it.
Nobody saw me do it.
You can't prove anything.
"

----Bart Simpson,

On 15/08/2017 at 19:56, WotEver said:

This is always fun...

IMG_1846.PNG.f473324736152f389c2dd49a800a98bd.PNG

Sometimes (often) they're breasted up there too. 

Pain in the arse there, that photo doesnt really show how bad it can be sometimes, i moored my boat on the towpath side, just up from the yard and they shifted up towards cat gallows bridge so they could put another boat there...

This made me smile though.

17499339_10155277310343243_7832837630762

On 14/08/2017 at 23:49, Mike the Boilerman said:

Being a plumber Mike, I wouldn't have thought you'd be short of taps, carry a spare, cheap from BES.  Or do a tap dance if you've got tap shoes to conjur one up whenever you want one.:closedeyes: