Boaty legal advisers? Issues with New and Used Boat co.

Cpickle

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, mango said:

Are you trawling?  Fishing for predictable comments from Hudson owners?

I thought that was an amusing post contrasting a mass market car of yesteryear with budget boats of today....

Made I larf anyway and no disprec' to a certain make of narrowboat

Its difficult this one I bought my boat from them [secondhand] they were helpful when the inverter caught fire not helpful when it had the wrong engine paperwork matched the sails blurb so the builder was conned or did the conning! I have remained friends with Ian the manager at the Mercia branch and he is a boater and always seems a nice guy so maybe a call to him is order to try and sort things out who knows it might work. Steering wise as others have said check levels and that all things are connected

9 hours ago, Muddy Ditch Rich said:

Aren't some new boats from this company made in China ?

No, that was someone else. The N&U boats are made variously in Poland, at Stenson and by Collingwood. The Polish ones have the best rep from what folk tell me.

11 hours ago, Muddy Ditch Rich said:

Aren't some new boats from this company made in China ?

The East West Marine / Whilton Marine boats were produced in China and shipped over - most sold by Whilton. They were 39/44/57 foot.

4 minutes ago, CV32 said:

The East West Marine / Whilton Marine boats were produced in China and shipped over - most sold by Whilton. They were 39/44/57 foot.

Most were fitted out with lovely bamboo doors, which fitted until the first damp winter then never fitted again without making a pile of shavings.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Most were fitted out with lovely bamboo doors, which fitted until the first damp winter then never fitted again without making a pile of shavings.

Not so sure on that Matty - I had an East West for five years. Mine (and the others i used to see) had i believe Oak (or similar) doors. The bamboo was on the inside - split and flattened and put on backing.

1 minute ago, CV32 said:

Not so sure on that Matty - I had an East West for five years. Mine (and the others i used to see) had i believe Oak (or similar) doors. The bamboo was on the inside - split and flattened and put on backing.

I have been on 3 which required the same sort of remedial woodwork to the doors or cupboards to get them to fit properly. 

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I have been on 3 which required the same sort of remedial woodwork to the doors or cupboards to get them to fit properly. 

Sorry :)  I meant the external front doors. Mine did have what looked like bamboo internal doors but they always fitted reasonably with no adverse winter issues.

On 14/08/2017 at 16:16, Cpickle said:

Does anyone have experience of using legal advisers to solve issues with boat supply companies? I am having issues with New and Used Boat Company and whilst going down this route is really the last thing I want to do, I just cant seem to get any resolution through talking to / emailing the staff there, I have been chasing various issues for months and months now and I am fed up. I don't know what else to do at this point other than instruct lawyers.

Bought boat in May, its a new boat and I've been given the wrong Annex - meaning that I have the wrong CB number and have therefore insured and licenced the wrong boat. No manual still either. It took me 3 months just to get a signed copy of the contract back. I just want to be able to have all the correct materials in place should I ever want to sell the boat in the future. Also, if I have a crash or something now my insurance is worthless, and I'm paying monthly for the pleasure! 

I also have some technical issues with the boat, at times it just stops steering and there is no obvious reason why - clear prop etc. The dial shows that the engine is still engaged when its not. Also the fan belt is screeching for the first 10 mins every time I turn the engine on, and its getting progressively worse. Ok, yes things like the fan belt I could get fixed or fix myself - but the boat is under warranty and the contract states that they must be given the opportunity to fix problems themselves. I reported these problems within 10 days of getting the boat as per the contract, again months and no progress. 

Another issue is that there are things in the spec that I was told I was getting and I've actually been given something else, for example -  spec said engine upgraded to 65hp engine, I have a 60hp. When I questioned this at handover I was told something like - oh sometimes the company names the engine a higher number than the actual hp. That would be absolutely fine if that was the case but I was told it would be Vetus 65 and I have received a Canalline 60. I'm sure I would have bought the boat anyway - but being miss led just adds to my annoyance at the above. 

Thanks again all for the advice. 

Cait

Hi Cait. If you are the Cait that I visited in London earlier this year to look at working on your boat please call me, I may be able to help. Steve