HS2 - Wormleighton loop maintenance yard

Tunnelman51

Featured Posts

So, It is apparent that HS2 is going to happen.

This will impact somewhat on my favourite stomping ground around Wormleighton.   From what I have gleaned so far, it will emerge from a cutting in the high ground to the south east of Willisons bridge [28], cut through between the hairpin bend and the lone brick barn in the field, then cross the canal on a new bridge adjacent to Willisons and then continue across the flat plain to the north west.  If this is the case, then we should be grateful it is of fairly minimal impact.  However, I have heard mention of something called the 'Wormleighton loop maintenance yard' -  sounds ominous to me.  Does anyone on here know anything about it ?

Edited by DHutch
'Wormleighton loop maintenance yard' added to title

5 minutes ago, IanM said:

You'll get a few useful posts regarding the question you asked then 25 pages more debating whether it's a good idea or not.

In answer to the question: no, I haven't heard about that.

In answer to your comment: it's a bad idea.

I think that covers everything.

1 hour ago, Tim Lewis said:

More importantly it involves the demolition of the Breee Louise at Euston, one of the best selection of real ales in London!

Tim

Indeed and for that alone it should be shelved....it's about the only thing that makes working in london bearable....

5 hours ago, IanM said:

You'll get a few useful posts regarding the question you asked then 25 pages more debating whether it's a good idea or not.

Whats to debate? Everyone knows its a ridiculous out of date idea before it even starts.

6 hours ago, Athy said:

In answer to the question: no, I haven't heard about that.
In answer to your comment: it's a bad idea.
I think that covers everything.

38 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Whats to debate? Everyone knows its a ridiculous out of date idea before it even starts.

Shall we stay largely on topic for just a moment?

Daniel

10 hours ago, Graham and Jo said:

There is something called the Wormleighton maintenance loop which is just an extra parallel track. Have a look here It's is part of a maintenance strategy defined here

Cheers Graham

Ah! All is revealed! Thanks for that Graham.   It appears that most of the maintenance activity is down the line at  Calvert.  I was having this nightmare vision of something akin to Clapham Junction being dumped in the middle of this rural idyll!

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yeah Mike PROPER trains you know like your PROPER engines :D

Though a lifelong lover of steam trains, I have time for modern locomotion too - I have marvelled at France's TGVs since their inception and consider them to be proper trains. But I am not a fan of railways despoiling the countryside for no good reason and at obscene cost. So, no to this maintenance loop because if they don't build the line there will be nothing for it to loop from.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Though a lifelong lover of steam trains, I have time for modern locomotion too - I have marvelled at France's TGVs since their inception and consider them to be proper trains. But I am not a fan of railways despoiling the countryside for no good reason and at obscene cost. So, no to this maintenance loop because if they don't build the line there will be nothing for it to loop from.

You are so right as often things like that happen. 25 years ago I had a pub just outside Bath and moored nearby on the K and A. There was a Bath relief road to be built to avoid much of the London road. Compulsory planning as usual was order of the day and one of my customers among others had a fabulous big old amazing house in beautiful landscaped gardens out in the middle of nowhere. He was forced to give it up and its was moved into by squatters who trashed it. His and others were left to rot and eventualy had to be demolished at great cost and the road was slightly tweaked and didn't go where his property had been anyway so a right stupid shame and waste yet again of taxpayers money. Same thing could happen several times during this present fiasco.