Tesco's Reading

Tim

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Presumably Reading Council are the riparian owners, and District Enforcement are their contractors.  I don't see that can do anything about you "remaining stationary" at that point though, or if they can why can they?

I understand that "Riparian" ownership only goes to mid stream.  Unless Reading Council owns the other bank, what could the Enforcement do, should you be stationary on the far side?

Bod

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Yes I appreciate that part, but it can't be a good thing to effectively close the mooring to genuine canal cruisers, forever.

Well it hasn't done that has it?

All it means is that if you want to moor at any RBC owned river bank where permitted to do so it will cost you  £9.50 for upto 24 hours. 

It's no different to Henley charging to moor there.

I don't like it but they are within their rights to do so as far as I can see.

9 minutes ago, Steilsteven said:

Well it hasn't done that has it?

All it means is that if you want to moor at any RBC owned river bank where permitted to do so it will cost you  £9.50 for upto 24 hours. 

It's no different to Henley charging to moor there.

I don't like it but they are within their rights to do so as far as I can see.

Henley have got it about right, their Mill Meadow Moorings are Free between 10 A.M. and 3 P.M. and the Park Maintenance Staff do the Checking.

There are not enough Moorings at Tesco Reading to Warrant Proper monitoring. 

Wallingford Council Moorings are Free during the Day and they only Collect  a 5 Pound Fee if you stay Overnight.

Edited by cereal tiller

10 minutes ago, Bod said:

I understand that "Riparian" ownership only goes to mid stream.  Unless Reading Council owns the other bank, what could the Enforcement do, should you be stationary on the far side?

Bod

Yes they would own to the mid point I think, but  if you are stationary and have not tied any rope to the bank, nor dropped an anchor you are not touching their property (they don't own the water) so how can they legally enforce a charge for just being stationary at a location in the river, I don't get that one.

Just now, john6767 said:

Yes they would own to the mid point I think, but  if you are stationary and have not tied any rope to the bank, nor dropped an anchor you are not touching their property (they don't own the water) so how can they legally enforce a charge for just being stationary at a location in the river, I don't get that one.

I would not be Keen on Swimming to the Shop though!:D

2 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I suspect riparian rights also give some coverage over what happens above your land when it comes to stationary objects.

if not then taken to the extreme it would be possible to float a pontoon over someones stretch by anchoring it up and downstream of their land and there wouldn't be anything they could do about it.

8 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

For non swimmers@tesco https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XXL-Inflatable-Unicorn-Rainbow-Pool-Float-Raft-Swimming-Water-Fun-Sports-Toy-UK/292345157697?hash=item4411211841:g:eIsAAOSwq1JZGqXc other models are available

Edited by LadyG

6 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Henley have got it about right, their Mill Meadow Moorings are Free between 10 A.M. and 3 P.M. and the Park Maintenance Staff do the Checking.

There are not enough Moorings at Tesco Reading to Warrant Proper monitoring. 

But it's a different story downstream of Henley bridge where you are charged as soon as you arrive and it's monitored by one man. There are enough moorings in the RBC area on the Thames and the Kennet to warrant proper monitoring.

11 minutes ago, john6767 said:

In theory a riparian owner can charge you for passing over his land by floating your boat over it. He can't prevent you from doing so due to the right of navigation.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Yeabut , that Inflatable is a Vessel ,it would Require a Thames Licence and Registration ,as soon as you Moored it at Tesco's you would be liable for a Mooring Fee.

1 minute ago, cereal tiller said:

Yeabut , that Inflatable is a Vessel ,it would Require a Thames Licence and Registration ,as soon as you Moored it at Tesco's you would be liable for a Mooring Fee.

I would take it with me to Tesco and put it in a free parking place. Its a tender rather than a vessel in its own right.

Edited by LadyG

Just now, cereal tiller said:

Not if you deflated it, and hung it on one of the signs whilst shopping....

2 minutes ago, Steilsteven said:

In theory a riparian owner can charge you for passing over his land by floating your boat over it. He can't prevent you from doing so due to the right of navigation.

OK if that's that case they have all bases covered.

As I understand it District Enforcement are basicly a Car Park Managing Company, manging both private and public parking facilities. If so, why can they not introduce a system which is used in towns designed to prevent long term parking in what are basicly shoppers car parks. Parking is free for a two or three hour period, after which a fee is chargeable, but in order to qualiify for the free period a ticket must be obtained and placed in a visible position. Of course this would need to be agreed with the site owner, but if as suggested, the primary purpose is to prevent long term mooring, I cannot see the Council objecting,. Has anyone suggested that to them?

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1

I predict the next thing to happen there, will be all those signs will mysteriously disappear.

Then there will be an 'arm race' where DE will construct ever more sturdy signs and who know who will devise ever more ingenious ways of getting rid of them.

2 hours ago, Steilsteven said:

Received this reply this morning,

''Hello Keith,

Thank you for your enquiry.

The charge of £9.50 is applicable at all times.

Kind regards,

DE Apeals''

Several posters seem aware of the £9.50 charge.

It's not mentioned on the sign, how is a passing (potentially mooring) boater meant to know about the charge and how do they go about paying it?

I ask because these signs are new since I last was on the Thames 2 years ago.

5 minutes ago, frahkn said:

Several posters seem aware of the £9.50 charge.

It's not mentioned on the sign, how is a passing (potentially mooring) boater meant to know about the charge and how do they go about paying it?

I ask because these signs are new since I last was on the Thames 2 years ago.

The £9.50 charge IS mentioned on the latest sign, photo in post 61. Check it!

Like you though, I notice there is still no mention on the latest sign of how to pre-pay it as demanded, so I think they have a way to go yet in making this stick.

Am I correct that there are signs at multiple locations, some are £100 charge and others £9.50, so basically the £100 are no mooring and the £9.50 an ok charge based on other overnight charges on the Thames.  What you don't seem to be able to do is to stop for an hour (without paying £9.50) to go to Tesco which is the only time I would want to particularly stop there.

1 hour ago, cereal tiller said:

Having moored on the opposite side, you could always use the long shaft to pole vault to Tesco's and back to the boat. :lol:

Not sure what you would do with the trolley though. :giggles:

Edited by cuthound
To add the last sentance.