Tesco's Reading

Tim

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its not a "Tesco " mooring its council and its a reaction to all the boats the continuously moored there like some other places on the Thames

I did understand that, my attempt at humour is due to the fact I spend enough with Tesco, that they must owe me something for our loyalty. 

More signs like this one are inevitable to discourage continual moorers. 

1 hour ago, NB Lola said:

From may next year with the advent of GDPR being enshrined into UK data protection law, CRT will need to be explicit about who they want to share my data with and obtain my specific permission.  Tying licensing to data protection requirement (as in a requirement to share with whom they like) will be unlawful, although I suspect it already is as data should only be collected for specified, not general, purposes.  I feel an email coming on.

During the (T&C) pre-launch consultations C&RT were questioned on the legality of this link between licencing and giving permission to release private data, by NABO.

The C&RT response was :

“We are satisfied that the provisions we have included in these clauses are compliant with the Data Protection Act.  By obtaining a licence subject to the terms and conditions, the licence holder is giving their consent for CRT to deal with their personal data in this way.  This is in accordance with data protection principles and is entirely proportionate to the Trust’s need to effectively manage the use of its Waterways.”

NABO's response to this :

NABO notes that CRT have convinced themselves that all is well, but offers no evidence as to why this is the case, or why it is proportional. Nothing is offered from the ICO re assurance on consequences of misuse. NABO finds this response is unhelpful and unreasonable. NABO cannot accept these assurances or the intended term.  We suggest that CRT should at least have a box that a boater could tick opting in to giving CRT permission to share their data as per 7.9 and 7.10. 

NB Lola Said :

"I don't always read all of the small print"

You may not have noticed your agreement to allow C&RT to add whatever 'additional conditions' to the grant of a licence, as they see fit - in direct contravention to the 1995 Act which outlines the 3 (only) licencing criteria :

1) Insurance

2) Mooring or CC declaration

3) BSSC

From the T&Cs :

"We will not unreasonably refuse to renew a Licence.  If we do renew, we reserve the right to issue a Licence subject to such additional conditions as we see fit"

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Why are some people directing their comments at what C&RT can, or cannot, do on this thread? As has alreday been pointed out the mooring notices have nothing to do with C&ART. The navigation is managed and controlled by the Environment Agency and the land belongs to Reading Counci, if people want to fire bullets it is towards those organizations that they should be directed.

Edited to add:- As neither the OP or anyone else has offered to identify the perecise location of the sign, I have checked the Grid References, and they do relate to the moorings immediately adjacent to Tesco's and not further upstream as the title on the sign suggests.

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 2

1 minute ago, furnessvale said:

Anyone else received a string of e mails(20+) with Tesco Reading as the header.

Looks suspicious so all deleted!

George

Yup - your preferences have been updated.

You need to go into to your settings and reset everything.

There is a thread running about it "How / Why ?

We stopped there for a shopping trip in  June, but we got the only gap  and as we returned from tesco's someone was breasting up, and bless them they were longer than us and wouldn't fit in the gap we vacated. I do not know what we could have done if they had tied up outside and gone away.

11 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Why are some people directing their comments at what C&RT can, or cannot, do on this thread? As has alreday been pointed out the mooring notices have nothing to do with C&ART. The navigation is managed and controlled by the Environment Agency and the land belongs to Reading Counci, if people want to fire bullets it is towards those organizations that they should be directed.

Keep up at the back !

The enforcement team will contact C&RT (for any C&RT registered / licenced boat) and due to the 'new' T&Cs that we have all agreed to, we now allow C&RT to give the 'Enforcers' our personal details so they can enforce the fine.

Nothing to do with the EA or Reading Council.

This developed into a discussion about the legality of C&RTs T&Cs, - not the legality (or anything else) of the signs or fines.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

5 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

George

No emails, but as I have emails from CWDF disabled, I dont know.However, I did recently get a pop up allegedly from Microsoft warning me to open the link as there had been some suspicious activity on my computer. I could not get rid of the message, and had to re-boot to clear it. It may have been genuine but who knows?

1 minute ago, David Schweizer said:

I did recently get a pop up allegedly from Microsoft warning me to open the link as there had been some suspicious activity on my computer. I could not get rid of the message, and had to re-boot to clear it. It may have been genuine but who knows?

No chance I would say

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Keep up at the back !

The enforcement team will contact C&RT (for any C&RT registered / licenced boat) and due to the 'new' T&Cs that we have all agreed to, we now allow C&RT to give the 'Enforcers' our personal details so they can enforce the fine.

Nothing to do with the EA or Reading Council.

This developed into a discussion about the legality of C&RTs T&Cs, - not the legality (or anything else) of the signs or fines.

Forgive me but where on the sign does it state that the enforcement team will contact C&ART, or do some of you know something I do not know?

image.png.b72e365137f28a6b5cbc1fa0ff50c373.png

3 hours ago, NB Lola said:

So, CRT will provide my personal details to District Enforcement even though CRT have not expressed such option when I provided my details to them; in my view a data protection act breach.

Unless, of course, you know better?

( I don't always read all of the small print)

I doubt it. 

The body disclosing your deets will be the EA, who licence boats on the Thames. 

Not sure who issues a Gold Licence though. Does anyone have a copy of the t&cs Gold holders sign or agree to?

last summer when we passed it looked like a 50:50 split of those stopping for a few hours to pick up stores whilst others who had a more long term relationship with the bank.  TBH it looked fairly official and well managed, perhaps I am thinking of a different set of moorings?  The sign does mention "approved moorings" (or similar).   

51 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Forgive me but where on the sign does it state that the enforcement team will contact C&ART, or do some of you know something I do not know?

The company state they will write to the boat owner .....................

Where do you think they will get the boat owners details from ?

This has been discussed in a number of threads, over some considerable time.

It was suggested that C&RT had this very scenario in mind when they re-wrote their T&Cs in 2015, when they stated that they had no plans at that time to use 3rd parties for regular enforcement roles.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The company state they will write to the boat owner .....................

Where do you think they will get the boat owners details from ?

So let me see if I am following this correctly.  Somebody moors on EA waters and they are given a penalty charge.   So they then contact CRT who have nothing to do with the waters.  CRT then supply the owners details to a company who they have no connection with.

Is that right?   Is there any actual proof they do this or do the T & Cs merely apply to CRT waters if they start using a 3rd party?

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

So let me see if I am following this correctly.  Somebody moors on EA waters and they are given a penalty charge.   So they then contact CRT who have nothing to do with the waters.  CRT then supply the owners details to a company who they have no connection with.

Is that right?   Is there any actual proof they do this or do the T & Cs merely apply to CRT waters if they start using a 3rd party?

Of course there isn't, but some people love inventing conspiracy theories

1 hour ago, furnessvale said:

George

Yesw. I assume that it's because I have contributed to the thread - the e-mails are not suspicious, they simply contain the text of each new answer on the thread. It is not happening with any other threads though. I'll report it and see if our tchie-savvy peoiple can cast any light on it.

2 minutes ago, Jerra said:

You probably have a correct understanding of the situation - particularly as C&RT employ the same company to manage their moorings in a number of areas, I would suggest (I have no evidence) that the company would simply ask C&RT for details on boat number xxxxx and would not be expected to provide details of the location of the infringement.

3 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Of course there isn't, but some people love inventing conspiracy theories

I sort of suspected that was the case, why let facts get in the way of a good knocking CRT session.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You probably have a correct understanding of the situation - particularly as C&RT employ the same company to manage their moorings in a number of areas, I would suggest (I have no evidence) that the company would simply ask C&RT for details on boat number xxxxx and would not be expected to provide details of the location of the infringement.

I don't see why they wouldn't be expected to provide details of why they wanted the information.

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yesw. I assume that it's because I have contributed to the thread - the e-mails are not suspicious, they simply contain the text of each new answer on the thread. It is not happening with any other threads though. I'll report it and see if our tchie-savvy peoiple can cast any light on it.

Already reported and RichM has responded and detailed the 'fix' in the thread "Why ? / How?"

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Already reported and RichM has responded and detailed the 'fix' in the thread "Why ? / How?"

Good. I have been away for a few days and haven't read that thread.