Our new adventure day 23. The last day!

Debs

Featured Posts

As predicted, today was a stunning day! I woke up early basically because I was being kicked out of bed! If there is one downside about being on board a narrowboat it's the size of the bed! Maybe we should both go on a diet before we go on our next adventure. 

So, let us recap! We started off leaving the Wey Navigation at Weybridge and made our way to Teddington to catch the tide. After travelling through the tidal Thames we met up with the Grand Union Canal at Brentford. From there we travelled through some of the nicest and not so nice places along the canal. Eventually, we hung a left onto the South Oxford Canal. This is very much a rural canal. Set in amazing countryside with open fields and hills, this is a very pretty canal however, when it's blowing a gale and the rain is pissisting down, it can be a little bit bleak. From the South Oxford Canal we turned right onto the Thames where we spent the night at Farmoor moorings. We then went back onto the Canal and travelled through Jericho as we'd never done it before. We then spent the rest of the journey on the Thames. 

During our journey, we had about three days of sunshine. I have lost a considerable amount of money at cards. I broke my foot (or come very close to it if not. It's still very painful!). I've been very wet and very cold. We even put the fire on a couple of times! But above all, I have met some really lovely people, had belly laughs every day and drank copious amounts of alcohol. And, I didn't end up in the water! Result! I also cannot believe that I actually got a suntan on the last day! 

This morning we left our moorings outside the Swan hotel in Stains and made our way on a very empty river towards Shepperton. We arrived at The Thames Court pub at midday, which was handy as there were moorings outside and empty tables in the garden. Half an hour later, there was neither. We had ourselves a wonderful roast dinner then sat on the director chairs next to the boat and lapped up the rays. If the truth be known, we were just putting off the inevitable. Eventually, we made our way through Shepperton lock and turned right onto the Wey Navigation. 

I am now sitting at home listening to the washing machine moaning about the amount of washing there is. Tomorrow, I will probably be moaning about the amount of ironing there is to do! It has been a great holiday but, as usual, it always seems too short. Tuesday I will be back at work and by Wednesday it will seem like a distant memory. I hope I haven't bored you all too much?! 

If you have enjoyed reading my adventures, please would you just take 5 minutes to read the link about a very special little boy. His name is Nicholas Stewart and he's my grandson. On Saturday, he will be flying out to Boston to have tests for life saving treatment. I would be really grateful if you could share the link on your social media sites. Thank you all for your time. 'Till the next time, TaDa! Xx  https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fgogetfunding.com%2Fflighting-for-the-future&h=ATPPd71TvqxFWcB6_CE796rPM_LOljrrNFj5msctJk3CAMLY7vBB_7VA7KZ_5Ytfn-9XObzR0mm1GPR14RIIxNgXg_QsWK5RMR2kHFtVrjgu0s2JGc6-KF45Wg&s=1&enc=AZOF61c17E-AcLS8RG2xQ-Oi_tYjkwDA4GSKRcjK403pnrKMH_OnLrLlMu0t_wawonOw2ysCB40kOtOp5Dhkp-cnwu0U19OHavnp7w7iS3PZRQ

IMG_3030.JPG

IMG_3041.JPG

IMG_3021.JPG

• Greenie 1
  • Love 3

37 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Thanks for the diary, its been very entertaining, look forward to the next chapter ;)

Thank you very much. It's been extremely enjoyable but, unfortunately, I'm now back in the real world of work, washing and ironing. Xxx

1 hour ago, Debs said:

Thank you very much. It's been extremely enjoyable but, unfortunately, I'm now back in the real world of work, washing and ironing. Xxx

That'll be me in a fortnight, daughter is away next week on Scout camp in Northumbria, she gets back on the Saturday we are off on the boat again, so when back the week after i'll have a weeks worth of myself and the wife's stuff and two weeks worth of hers to sort and wash etc. (with hopefully no surprises in the rucksack as doubt there's time to unpack it).

Don't do ironing though, modern fabrics and careful hanging/folding helps avoid it, only ironing is madam's Scout neckerchief, plus who has time??

5 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

That'll be me in a fortnight, daughter is away next week on Scout camp in Northumbria, she gets back on the Saturday we are off on the boat again, so when back the week after i'll have a weeks worth of myself and the wife's stuff and two weeks worth of hers to sort and wash etc. (with hopefully no surprises in the rucksack as doubt there's time to unpack it).

Don't do ironing though, modern fabrics and careful hanging/folding helps avoid it, only ironing is madam's Scout neckerchief, plus who has time??

:lol::lol: have fun! X

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

Really enjoyed reading about your trip.

When are you out again?  Will you be producing humorous posts with photos of that trip? After all you have set a very high bar with this series of posts :D

Thank you so much. That really is very kind. I won't be out again until next year now but I'm hoping to retire next year so there will be a lot more to write about. :) xx

Thanks for posting your adventures and pictures, it has been really entertaining and enjoyable.  Brought back a few memories as have done the same large Thames ring, however spread out over a number of years and not all stages on the same boat in the same direction! 

Will check out your link before we go ourselves for our summer cruise!