Canal art...beware

matty40s

Featured Posts

On 8/13/2017 at 21:19, matty40s said:

I visited an art gallery today and amongst the eclectic mix was a selection of landscapes including these two.

Challenge, name the locations which the paintings were labelled.

20170813_133954-816x459.jpg

image.png.4c11e3375cfa3fabacfeab8c27484a7b.png

Looks like Stoke Bruerne to me.

12 hours ago, Graham and Jo said:

The curvy bits at the front are always the hardest I think. You can't construct them with a pencil and ruler. I was trying to learn to paint so I could do model railway back scenes when I did this one. It took forever - a triumph of tiny brush stokes. 

I had a play with pastels one day, I was trying for cubism but it didn't quite work out. Can anyone guess where this is? Cheers Graham

DSC02024.JPG

image.png.99a751b3219d84db21111b127b8422a1.png

9 hours ago, homer2911 said:

Can we please see examples of any art produced by those posters taking the mick? 

My ability to criticise art is not restricted to other folk's work.

I am fully capable of assessing my own efforts as no better than the ones in the OP and would expect the same responses if I had the brass neck to air them in public.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, NickF said:

image.png.4c11e3375cfa3fabacfeab8c27484a7b.png

Looks like Stoke Bruerne to me.

I have spent a number of hours at that very location during the past month and I genuinely didn't recognise it. It doesn't capture the character of the place in any way. It looks like the cottages have been reimagined by Barratt Homes in-house artist. Surely as an artist if you aren't intending to capture a detailed likeness you have to capture the character instead? The unnatural viewpoint doesn't help.

JP

19 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Surely as an artist if you aren't intending to capture a detailed likeness you have to capture the character instead?

As Melvyn Bragg said in our school magazine many many years ago "If you want a horse to look like a horse, see a photographer".

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

Surely as an artist if you aren't intending to capture a detailed likeness you have to capture the character instead?

Unfortunately I couldn't get a decent photo as it's behind glass and I couldn't control reflections.

DSCN5881.jpg

It was on 2 x A3? sheets, one over the other landscape, mounted on board

• Greenie 2

On 16/08/2017 at 09:35, homer2911 said:

I get it - you may lack the qualifications to be an art critic, but you feel free to hold forth anyway 

:D

Very droll. No, I don't think you do "get it":  anyone who eats an egg is qualified to comment upon it, or "hold forth" as you put it. Similarly, anyone who looks at a picture, or listens to a piece of music, can comment upon it - as I have been doing professionally for over 40 years. Is that not sufficient qualification?

17 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

Unfortunately I couldn't get a decent photo as it's behind glass and I couldn't control reflections.

DSCN5881.jpg

Stourbridge. Not a doubt in my mind. ;)

I like it, It's all about what it says to the viewer. It has an essence of something I can relate to and a nice dose of imagination.

As a general point rather than in direct response I don't consider I am critiquing the original pieces. It's just that one of them doesn't capture the essence of the subject as far as I am concerned and I wouldn't part with my own money for it.

Maybe someone else would?

JP

4 hours ago, homer2911 said:

I get it - you may lack the qualifications to be an art critic, but you feel free to hold forth anyway 

I'd be interested to learn what qualifications are required to be an art critic...

Perhaps the one actually "holding forth" is the one who wishes to suppress opinion and discussion.

If you like it then "hold forth" (whether or not you feel qualified) and present a balanced view rather than just whining on about others expressing their opinion.

Edited by carlt

Art is entirely subjective of course. I paint as a hobby and usually my paintings don't go public. Some of Jo's do and sell - we always feel she sells a feeling or an emotion not a painting. If it makes you feel something you like it is good. 

I was inspired by something I saw in the Royal Academy's Summer Exhibition, it was next to the £25000 litter bin I think. (yes there was one!) . The painting merged 3D and 2D forms. I can do that I thought. So here it is, a subject you all know well now and all have an opinion on. Stoke Bruerne.

The painting is all inside the back of a box canvas so is about an inch deep - the challenge was to make a semi 2D background with a 3D lock in front and maintain the perspective. 

There are a few reflections in the way I'm afraid.

I've also taken a movie of it to try and give you the idea. It is on  you tube here.

Cheers Graham

DSC02029.JPG

Edited by Graham and Jo
  • Happy 1

4 hours ago, Tam & Di said:

DSCN5881.jpg

I like this one very much...

It brings to mind Ken Keay's Sketchbook.

24 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Master's and/or doctoral degree in art or art history

http://study.com/articles/Art_Critic_Job_Description_Duties_and_Salary.html

Richard

or alternatively...

Matthew Collings (TV art critic)  missed secondary education, receiving therapy instead at the Finchden Manor Community, a haven for disturbed teenage boys established by G.A.Lyward,

Edited by carlt

3 hours ago, Graham and Jo said:

Art is entirely subjective of course. I paint as a hobby and usually my paintings don't go public. Some of Jo's do and sell - we always feel she sells a feeling or an emotion not a painting. If it makes you feel something you like it is good. 

I was inspired by something I saw in the Royal Academy's Summer Exhibition, it was next to the £25000 litter bin I think. (yes there was one!) . The painting merged 3D and 2D forms. I can do that I thought. So here it is, a subject you all know well now and all have an opinion on. Stoke Bruerne.

The painting is all inside the back of a box canvas so is about an inch deep - the challenge was to make a semi 2D background with a 3D lock in front and maintain the perspective. 

There are a few reflections in the way I'm afraid.

I've also taken a movie of it to try and give you the idea. It is on  you tube here.

Cheers Graham

DSC02029.JPG

That looks very effective especially in the video.