Canal art...beware

matty40s

Featured Posts

18 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Quite!

We bought the original of this for very much less than is being asked for these abominations.  I know where I'd rather spend my money.

(The artist for the "Sickle" painting is the lovely Penny Taylor-Beardow - it wasn't a commission - she just happened to have picked our particular boat to paint out of the 30,000 plus available to her!).

Jan commissioned Penny to paint a picture of Helvetia for my 70th birthday, for less tha those in the opening post. Penny was on the stand next to the Ron Hough memorail display at last years Braunston Historic Rally which we were staffing. Jan spent a lot of time chatting with her, and liked her Impressionist style.

It now occupies prime position in our living room - Not a very good image, as there was not much light, and you can see my reflection in the glass!!.

DSC_0005.JPG.ea14bb75c0fe170c2e9d4e8dc9df30d0.JPG

Edited by David Schweizer

Ok, I'll be brave, this is one I painted of Jo on Dotterel in Claydon locks (I think). It is A3 ish. Perspective is interesting as the boat has a different vanishing point to the lock (nose up hill a bit) and the vanishing point for the brickwork in the lock side is 4 feet off to the left. The hardest bit was painting Jo! She seems to like it though.

DSC02022.JPG

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

IMG_20170509_123140.jpg.c6ab7af1708576a9ac095d1c453bb45e.jpg

No, far closer to home. While there may be a little artistic licence in the reflections, the rest is accurate, done by my better half. (Though I put the numbers on the canvas for her! Jim ducks and runs for cover).

5 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

No, far closer to home. While there may be a little artistic licence in the reflections, the rest is accurate, done by my better half. (Though I put the numbers on the canvas for her! Jim ducks and runs for cover).

Isn't it from an estate agent's brochure? "Desirable spacious waterside residence, would benefit from some renovation"?

23 hours ago, Jerra said:

To me there is a difference between hanging /displaying your work where you might possibly be be on hand to field the criticism personally and images of your work being taken and posted on a forum which has nothing to do with your art for people to criticise.   

The of course there is the copyright implications as the forum seems to be using images for which I am sure no permission has been given.  Being married to a photographer I know she would be furious if they were her images.

I also know that I will almost certainly be out on a limb as I seem to have a greater care about these things than many.

Indeed you are out on a limb again.

There are no copyright implications as I have stolen nothing, I have taken a picture of a publicly displayed piece of colouring and posted it on here for discussion, amusement and topicality.

I agree with your comments about people stealing another photographers work for their own benefit, it has happened to me once. However this is completely different as it is a painting

. How many pictures of the Mona Lisa,  both unadulterated and also manipulated are there in the world. Millions. No one is affecting copyright unless they forge a new one and try to pass it off as the original.

14 minutes ago, Athy said:

Isn't it from an estate agent's brochure? "Desirable spacious waterside residence, would benefit from some renovation"?

There more of them round here than you can shake a stick at. The local youth set fire to the top floor of this one about a year back. It will deteriorate quicker now with no roof.

18 minutes ago, matty40s said:

However this is completely different as it is a painting

. How many pictures of the Mona Lisa,  both unadulterated and also manipulated are there in the world. Millions. No one is affecting copyright unless they forge a new one and try to pass it off as the original.

All produced work be it word, music or image etc is automatically copyright.  Paintings are copyright.  The Mona Lisa is out of copyright as copyright only lasts for:

For literary, dramatic, musical or artistic works

70 years from the end of the calendar year in which the last remaining author of the work dies.

58 minutes ago, Graham and Jo said:

Ok, I'll be brave, this is one I painted of Jo on Dotterel in Claydon locks (I think). It is A3 ish. Perspective is interesting as the boat has a different vanishing point to the lock (nose up hill a bit) and the vanishing point for the brickwork in the lock side is 4 feet off to the left. The hardest bit was painting Jo! She seems to like it though.

DSC02022.JPG

I don't know what Jo looks like but I think you made a good job of the boat but you have cheated by having the hardest bits covered by the lock I think. And no I couldn't do as well.

27 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I don't know what Jo looks like but I think you made a good job of the boat but you have cheated by having the hardest bits covered by the lock I think. And no I couldn't do as well.

The curvy bits at the front are always the hardest I think. You can't construct them with a pencil and ruler. I was trying to learn to paint so I could do model railway back scenes when I did this one. It took forever - a triumph of tiny brush stokes. 

I had a play with pastels one day, I was trying for cubism but it didn't quite work out. Can anyone guess where this is? Cheers Graham

DSC02024.JPG

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

All produced work be it word, music or image etc is automatically copyright.  Paintings are copyright.  The Mona Lisa is out of copyright as copyright only lasts for:

For literary, dramatic, musical or artistic works

70 years from the end of the calendar year in which the last remaining author of the work dies.

The bit in red looks as though it's been copied and pasted , is that infringing copyright as well ?

Hang on ... that means I've done it too !!!!!

Isn't there something strange about the Eiffel tower, the light display and copyright  with the tower not being copyright but the light show is and film it.

Just found this http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2831331/Tourists-warned-breaking-law-taking-photos-Eiffel-Tower-night-sharing-images-Facebook-ILLEGAL.html

Edited by ditchcrawler
Added info

56 minutes ago, Nicktheplumber said:

The bit in red looks as though it's been copied and pasted , is that infringing copyright as well ?

Hang on ... that means I've done it too !!!!!

Actually it would be a grey area but I suspect strictly speaking it would be.  On the forum however posters have obviously given permission for their words to be copied within the forum.  Permission given by taking part.

On 8/14/2017 at 18:36, StephenA said:

Actually it looks like there is about to be a mightly large shouting match as the green boat slams into the bank and then bounces back into the channel, the blue boat will slam his tiller over and go into reverse and will swing into the brown boat moored on the bank.... potentially leading to Fisticuffs.

You are on to something here. If it was the first in a series of three entitled 'The Prelude' to be followed by 'The Incident' and 'The Aftermath' they might be worth shelling out twenty quid for.

11 hours ago, zenataomm said:

It's the bit of Stoke Bruerne where the mooring rings are in the middle of the towpath and the houses on t'other side have gigantic front doors in comparison to the boats moored there.

I should pay more attention. I completely missed that bit when I moored there overnight three weeks ago on my way down the GU and had a walk around. Even worse that I still didn't see it when I stopped there again for lunch on the way back. Who'd have thought?

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

47 minutes ago, homer2911 said:

Can we please see examples of any art produced by those posters taking the mick? 

I can't sing but that doesn't stop me from critiquing a singer. Why should art be any different?

Can you build boats? Does that stop you from determining that one is better than another?

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

I can't sing but that doesn't stop me from critiquing a singer. Why should art be any different?

Can you build boats? Does that stop you from determining that one is better than another?

To me (and probably nobody else) there is a big difference between critiquing and taking the Mick.