Canal art...beware

matty40s

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, Peter Thornton said:

Everyones being very sniffy about these paintings. After all, it's not as if anyone will be buying them unseen .......

I was thinking there must be some very good artists in the forum as while the paintings aren't exactly by Constable they are certainly a lot better than I could produce.  I am assuming that all those who have criticisms can of course produce better themselves. 

Just now, Jerra said:

I was thinking there must be some very good artists in the forum as while the paintings aren't exactly by Constable they are certainly a lot better than I could produce.  I am assuming that all those who have criticisms can of course produce better themselves. 

They are better than I could produce but then I wouldn't put one of mine up for sale for £200

19 minutes ago, Jerra said:

18 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

They are better than I could produce but then I wouldn't put one of mine up for sale for £200

Quite!

We bought the original of this for very much less than is being asked for these abominations.  I know where I'd rather spend my money.

(The artist for the "Sickle" painting is the lovely Penny Taylor-Beardow - it wasn't a commission - she just happened to have picked our particular boat to paint out of the 30,000 plus available to her!).

30 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I am assuming that all those who have criticisms can of course produce better themselves. 

I hope that if the person who painted these sees the comments on the forum they'll just try better next time. In reality though we all act as critics on things we couldn't even begin to do ourselves, and it is how we chose one item over another in our everyday lives.

26 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Well the OH, who is an art graduate and does indeed produce much better works than the ones in the OP concurs with my opinion that they are crap.

She also comments that anybody who doesn't want to have their work criticised should hang it in their living room and never place it in the public domain though I suspect the negative opinions have provoked more of a reaction from you than they would the artist.

As a weaver and upholsterer I sell my work to anybody who likes it and I am happy for anyone who doesn't like it to tell me (and the rest of the world) that it is crap and spend their money elsewhere.

1 minute ago, carlt said:

Well the OH, who is an art graduate and does indeed produce much better works than the ones in the OP concurs with my opinion that they are crap.

She also comments that anybody who doesn't want to have their work criticised should hang it in their living room and never place it in the public domain though I suspect the negative opinions have provoked more of a reaction from you than they would the artist.

As a weaver and upholsterer I sell my work to anybody who likes it and I am happy for anyone who doesn't like it to tell me (and the rest of the world) that it is crap and spend their money elsewhere.

One or two points.  First I haven't said they aren't crap so I might be wrong in reading your first para as suggesting I have.

To me there is a difference between hanging /displaying your work where you might possibly be be on hand to field the criticism personally and images of your work being taken and posted on a forum which has nothing to do with your art for people to criticise.   

The of course there is the copyright implications as the forum seems to be using images for which I am sure no permission has been given.  Being married to a photographer I know she would be furious if they were her images.

I also know that I will almost certainly be out on a limb as I seem to have a greater care about these things than many.

9 minutes ago, Jerra said:

One or two points.  First I haven't said they aren't crap so I might be wrong in reading your first para as suggesting I have.

No, you didn't say it, I did.

As to your second point copyright is of no interest to me as I didn't post the pictures, just offered my opinion on them.

Personally I would have posted a link to where the artist has displayed them and invited opinion as Alan has done with his lovely, well executed painting of Sickle.

Edited to add: Having looked again at my post I am struggling to see how you could have misread my first point.

Edited by carlt

5 hours ago, max's son said:

20170813_133954-816x459.jpg.089e051bdf5a

Looks like the Steerer here is about to do a U turn

Actually it looks like there is about to be a mightly large shouting match as the green boat slams into the bank and then bounces back into the channel, the blue boat will slam his tiller over and go into reverse and will swing into the brown boat moored on the bank.... potentially leading to Fisticuffs.

5 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Actually it looks like there is about to be a mightly large shouting match as the green boat slams into the bank and then bounces back into the channel, the blue boat will slam his tiller over and go into reverse and will swing into the brown boat moored on the bank.... potentially leading to Fisticuffs.

Somebody already noted that the guy on No.2 has his elum over. I assume it is to avoid the green boat which has little or no wash and seems to be drifting into the bank, but he might clobber the semi-moored brown boat with his stern first. I can't make out what the boat in the far distance is doing but he seems to be across the cut. I'm not sure that the boat opposite the brown one on the off side is moored at all - it seems a long way from the bank but there seems to be no-one on it.

I think Carl might be wrong about the quality of the work - the artist has created a whole mini-drama with his painting, and given a lot of pleasure to contributors on CWDF. Can Dali make that claim?

Our local paper used to have a competition based upon "Spot the Ball" which involved a flock of sheep with the sheepdog airbrushed out - it was called "Spot the Dog"

I wonder if there could be a variation to this, with pictures such as this in which contributors have to guess who hit who, where they hit them and where everyone ended up?  It could provide endless pleasure on long Winter nights .......

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Quite!

We bought the original of this for very much less than is being asked for these abominations.  I know where I'd rather spend my money.

(The artist for the "Sickle" painting is the lovely Penny Taylor-Beardow - it wasn't a commission - she just happened to have picked our particular boat to paint out of the 30,000 plus available to her!).

Now that is a cracking painting Gromit.  Not only has she a fine eye, but she must be very quick as well as you don't look as if you're hanging around there. 

22 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Now that is a cracking painting Gromit.  Not only has she a fine eye, but she must be very quick as well as you don't look as if you're hanging around there. 

Yes, It's surprisingly hard to keep the boat in the same place for the time it takes for an artist to complete their picture.......

At least I don't race cars!

I think they are quite fun. sort of thing to hang in the loo at home, but its not going to happen at £200 a shot, I find them far less annoying than Vettriano's beach/umbrella postcards art.

Edited by LadyG

20 hours ago, matty40s said:

The first is labelled Stoke Bruerne,  which is just about plausible, although width of canal, offside moorings and arc of turn are all wrong, amongst everything else.

The second is labelled Braunston Lock, the only one which could fit is the one next to the Nelson, which has shrunk and is going to fall into the lock........

After initially thinking it might be Buckby I became pretty sure the second painting was Braunston top lock. The willow on the offside is quite distinctive. A bit of artistic licence has been taken as the lock cottage isn't shown and the hut on the offside doesn't exist. Let's be generous and say it's an impression. It's a damn sight less than vague than the one of Stoke Bruerne. I have no idea where at Stoke Bruerne that is meant to depict.

JP

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

After initially thinking it might be Buckby I became pretty sure the second painting was Braunston top lock. The willow on the offside is quite distinctive. A bit of artistic licence has been taken as the lock cottage isn't shown and the hut on the offside doesn't exist. Let's be generous and say it's an impression. It's a damn sight less than vague than the one of Stoke Bruerne. I have no idea where at Stoke Bruerne that is meant to depict.

JP

It's the bit of Stoke Bruerne where the mooring rings are in the middle of the towpath and the houses on t'other side have gigantic front doors in comparison to the boats moored there.

• Haha 1