Gate Paddles

Rob-M

Featured Posts

Not really gate paddles as they let water in by slowly opening the gates but I'm not sure I would want my bows that close to the gates as the water started to flow...

20170813_151815.jpg.a25f0c9d9c5bca8ebb64b71533e1ab8d.jpg

Edited by Rob-M

Portishead I think

(The marina, not the trip-hop band)

They're sector gates - they can also open the gap in the middle to let the water through, but this is normally only done to empty the lock as it's even more impressive!

As far as I'm aware there are no user-operable sector gates - for a very good reason!

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

They're sector gates - they can also open the gap in the middle to let the water through, but this is normally only done to empty the lock as it's even more impressive!

I've been outside Limehouse waiting and they've emptied it by opening the middle - its pretty impressive.

If that was taken today there were two narrowboats that were in the lock at Sharpness...we were at the SARA open day and only noticed one going down the river....wonder what happened to the other one....it was smaller than the one pictured and can best be described as "having character"...fair play to both of them though....I've done the Ribble & the Trent but that looks proper mad!! 

2 hours ago, frangar said:

If that was taken today there were two narrowboats that were in the lock at Sharpness...we were at the SARA open day and only noticed one going down the river....wonder what happened to the other one....it was smaller than the one pictured and can best be described as "having character"...fair play to both of them though....I've done the Ribble & the Trent but that looks proper mad!! 

It was today, the boat came out from Bristol I think as I watched it approaching from that direction. I only noticed one other narrowboat in the marina but that is longer than the one I photographed.