Alternator light

bigcol

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

OK, that proves that it's the purple that's on terminal 30. Move the white back to that centre terminal then swap the green/yellow and purple and it should work correctly.

Well done.

Sorry. Just done that, and gos back to square one,  same situation as before

sorry

Thanks so much Sir Nibbs and Tony

tomorrow another day????

Okay any ideas.

lets go to the beginning

1)alternator Ist left light didn't come on with ignition on,but comes on when engine running

2)we thought it was the domestic alternator light at first we had this tested at alto electricians confirm NO FAULT domestic alternator

3) forum member pointed out we had diagnosed the wrong alternator,  engine alternator far left, domestic alternator 2nd from left.this works as it should

4) so ist alternator light is engine is the faulty one

5) we haven't tested this alternator

6) we haven't tested the engine battery

7) we've tested with forum members patience the electrics behind the panel because before I thought I tidy up the cables and wires.

while doing that I broke the BT, but with the forums help we fixed that,

8) so still left with a engine battery charging warning light faulty.

9) will  have to wait till I get back and have the engine alternator taken off and checked

10) will have to have the engine battery tested when I get back

be nice to know what is wrong, other wise it means getting engineer in to remove replace or repair, or at worse nothing is wrong with them.

any faults folks?fuse you all

or like me I've managed to cause you mental  exhaustion, and confuse you all

col

17 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

Fascinating thread. I understand how Sir Nibble has diagnosed a faulty relay but it feels like I am watching keyhole surgery.

I imagine it will help others to go step by step guild to an idiots guild to diagnosing a electrical problem

i know a little bit about relays, how to play with this thingymadrid called s cheap volt mtr

col

27 minutes ago, bigcol said:

any faults folks?

Yep. There's nothing wrong with the alternator but the relay (cheap as chips from any motor factor) is dead. Replace it and all will once again be well with the world. This is what Snib told you last night, Col. 

24 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Yep. There's nothing wrong with the alternator but the relay (cheap as chips from any motor factor) is dead. Replace it and all will once again be well with the world. This is what Snib told you last night, Col.

Would you go back over the last 24 hours of this thread and check my working old chap? It's clearly a relay fault but my attempt to temporarily fix it by running ign + from 30 to 87a is giving apparently conflicting results. A fresh pair of clued up eyes may spot something I missed.

35 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Would you go back over the last 24 hours of this thread and check my working old chap? It's clearly a relay fault but my attempt to temporarily fix it by running ign + from 30 to 87a is giving apparently conflicting results. A fresh pair of clued up eyes may spot something I missed.

It all looks good to me sir. I've sent you a PM :)

1 hour ago, Sir Nibble said:

I follow what you are trying to achieve, but can't find a Beta diagram that matches the colour coding.

Would a shorting link between 30 and 87 (without disturbing any of the existing wiring, and with the ignition off) cause the domestic alternator lamp to illuminate? Which is of course the same as moving the white wires from 87 to 87a.

I also notice that one of the black wires appears to be held in by the spade connector; and that there appears to be two wires (brown/yellow?) on the other side of the lamp.

Bigcol, can we have a few more pictures please. One showing the whole of the back of the panel and one around the ignition switch.

I see that you replied whilst I was typing this.

Edited by Eeyore

7 minutes ago, bigcol said:

I'm sorted Okay I'm going to buy a new relay.

thanyou sir Nibbs, Tony and all

col

Take the old one with you (you have photos for reference). Believe it or not there are two terminal layouts for this size of relay; the other type has terminals 30 and 86 transposed.

8 minutes ago, bigcol said:

Bought £2.49 of eBay 5 pin 30 - 40 amp

done 

thanks all

coll

Sorry done!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122534235386

looks the same lay out, same ampage

Yes physically identical layout of the terminals; its just the numbers on the terminals that are different.

The one you have bought is different to the one shown on most Beta diagrams.

Swop them over by reference to the terminal numbers and not their positions (although they may be the same if the old relay is not the original)

Edited by Eeyore

Just pulled these from the Durite catalogue to show the difference.

Note that the electrical drawing is the same for both.

Disregard the writing on the images of the relays, they're just library images.

6-3-0-728-12.jpg

6-3-0-728-62.jpg

Edited by Eeyore

3 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

if you check further up after condemning the relay I listed which of your wire colours goes to which number terminal.

22 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

there are two different terminal arrangements, either will do so long as you connect green/yellow to terminal 30, purple to 87 and the other two to 85 and 86, either way is fine.

This is all you need Col, once the relay turns up. 

No it hasn't arrived

aparently it will arrive tomorrow

ive chased it they didn't send it out till yesterday!!!

col

45 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

That rely not arrived yet? I could have chewed up an old bolt and a copper washer and spat one out by now.

Your right, it's annoying but we have to be patient lol

Before I even get it near the electrics I will post on here first

Problems same or different no we haven't got our post rebthe relay, tomorrow fingers crossed

i came from Marsworth to pitstone today

noticed on arriving the domestics batterys on the gauge was well down to 40 to 50 on the bar graff, also battery voltage down to 12.1

so I've ran engine to see if the volts go up, but if anything they went down a little. Domestics

tonight i put volt Mtr on ENGINE  battery with engine running 14 volts engine stopped 12.7 volts

DOSMETIC batterys 12.4 volts with engine running the same with engine off

i put voltmtr lead on terminals on alternator  and still reads 12.4 volts

i had the alternator taken off for repair, but nothing was found wrong with it!!

so was put back on.

Something defo a miss, makes you think if the alternator light is the wrong was round??

col