Boat Prices

Ex-Member

Featured Posts

We bought our nb last november and have not regretted it. The survey showed nothing and the valuation was spot on. We have spent a fair bit since, our choice, and are very happy. We do, however, keep an eye on the market and not only have we not seen anything we would have preferred to buy but what is available seems to be highly priced for what is on offer.  What do others think of current prices, are they static, rising or just not enough choice around today?

9 hours ago, RichM said:

I am looking for something a bit bigger myself and boat prices seem to be higher than what they were when we bought this one back in October 2015. Not sure why this is.

1) Because folks now have more disposal income (maybe, downsizing house, kids flown the nest, pensions now available as a cash lump, etc etc)

2) Money is doing nothing in the bank, just spend it and enjoy it, let the state take care of you in your old age / infirmity.

3) The "London effect" - cannot afford housing so buy a 'floating flat'. Last figures I saw from C&RT suggested there were 5000 (and increasing by 1000 per year) C&RT registered boats 'in London'.

I imagine pension lump sums come into it a great deal. 

There is no point taking a lump sum and doing nothing with it . 

Many people have been careful with money due to uncertainty in the economy for a number of years , through the recession. Unemployment is now lower than pre - recession times. People haven't been moving house due to the same economic uncertainties so there is less financial burden to mortgage payments  among middle aged and older people. Overall there is a balance to be made between savings and enjoying life .

I think putting money into a boat is a good investment but only if you make good use of the boat. The same might be true of many things including leisure activities of all sorts.

Boats (cruisers mostly ) near us  seem to be selling well. The ones that don't sell fast are asking well over the odds. However one boat that I thought over priced by £10k  is under offer. Asking prices for boats certainly took a hit in the recession and seem to have firmed up back towards pre- recession times.  

The brokerage at our marina can't get boats quick enough. A lot are sold within a week or two of being listed.

Those that don't sell are either over priced or badly presented, in some cases both. Even these find a seller eventually though.

Interestingly we have noticed in the last year or so that prices do seem to be creeping up a bit as the market has picked up again.

Boats being sold in our marina in the midlands are selling well, and often for the price they are advertised. The broker even has a waiting list and some boats have sold within a day or two. There appear to be more first time buyers, quite a few of whom haven't been boating before and many aren't even bothering with a survey. If you are selling your boat and not buying another one I think now is a great time to sell.

I reckon it's all those TV programmes like Tim & Pru's and that Celebrity Barging one that are fuelling the boom. It's the same with hire boats. Walking my dog through a lock flight I've chatted to more first time boaters than I can remember in the past, and at a boatyard on the Coventry Canal where I've just spent a few weeks having work done they say there are far more boats passing this year.

The way it's going I can foresee gridlock on our canals and not just down south.

14 hours ago, Numpty said:

Well I guess that is true At the time we bought we felt we had seen enough to know that, a) is was the one for us and B) it was worth the price.  I guess it is just like watching the housing market  Just a general point really........

You have the housing market mentality - it's ingrained in our culture and it's difficult to avoid thinking in that way. Try to forget about how much your boat is worth and just enjoy it. If you continue to think of your boat as a monetary asset then I'm afraid you will ultimately be disappointed. Unless it's a historic boat or unique in some other way then most boats are just depreciating assets. 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

7 minutes ago, blackrose said:

You have the housing market mentality - it's ingrained in our culture and it's difficult to avoid thinking in that way. Try to forget about how much your boat is worth and just enjoy it. If you continue to think of your boat as a monetary asset then I'm afraid you will ultimately be disappointed. Unless it's a historic boat or unique in some other way then most boats are just depreciating assets. 

Completely agree and don't forget to mention that boats are simply nicer places to live.

As others have said,  the market at the moment is a sort of perfect storm where a host of factors are coming together at the same time to force prices up.    

But I think it's just a particular sector of the market that is affected by these factors, and it's the 50 to 60 foot boats with fairly standard layouts.  Boats with engine rooms, tugs, oddly painted boats, boats without fixed beds, and so on.  These are still selling to a limited market.  You could probably include boats over 62 foot as well.  

Just for the record, it is academic to me what I paid for my boat or what I may or may not get if and when I come to sell. I am very happy with my choice and the price I paid. I am not comparing it to house prices (which people usually expect to increase in value)  or cars (which people usually expect to fall in value)

I was just trying to see how other people see the market at the moment as, I am sure, most boat owners keep an eye on it.

Years ago we bought a 1967 VW Campervan from America (on a well known auction site).  Our neighbour had one and we thought it would be cool to buy one too.  On a warm August Bank Holiday weekend afternoon, and I have to say having consumed a small amount of pop we pressed the 'buy it now' price of £20k.  It arrived 3 mths later and was in  incredible condition, as though it had just left the factory. The previous owners had collected every available piece of original VW bits and pieces  plus other things of the era (like Coca Cola bottles/radio/camera etc)  It took us a week to unwrap everything.  The van was too good to drive really so we just went to meets and entered competitions (winning 1st prize in all of them).  It featured in various magazines and was great to 'show off'  but my partner hated it so, at the 50th time of asking, we agreed to sell it to a guy 8 mths later and asked  a tongue in cheek £34k. He never drove it, or got in it, he just arrived with a bankers draft for £34k and asked to take over the storage unit where we kept it.   Now, given the prices they fetch, I wish in some ways I had kept it but at the time it was (to me mainly) a great deal of fun and we were pleased with the price we sold it for. So I guess we were lucky  but we never set out to make a profit.   If any is that interested I will try and dig out some photos of 'Lola' :)

I've thought about buying a brand new moderate size narrowboat (40-50ft) to live on, whilst retaining my fibreglass cruiser (my pride and joy) as a toy to go cruising with. I take it this would still be cheaper than buying a house (and retaining the cruiser)? 

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I've thought about buying a brand new moderate size narrowboat (40-50ft) to live on, whilst retaining my fibreglass cruiser (my pride and joy) as a toy to go cruising with. I take it this would still be cheaper than buying a house (and retaining the cruiser)? 

Living on a boat is rarely more cost effective than living in a house eg the cost of liveaboard moorings could well run to £1000 per month (in the South) and the cost of utilities will be higher.

Maintenance cost will generally be higher on a boat and you will suffer depreciation whilst a house will generally appreciate in value.

You could always CC and save the mooring fees but unless you understand the 'rules' and, if you are working, have health problems,' family needs' or schooling in the area then it can be difficult to comply.

You would need a mooring for your cruiser and if you are ccing then you need to consider methods of getting back to your cruiser.

You may make a small saving if you currently have a mortgage on the house and can pay cash up front for the boat.

Generally the only people who 'make it work' living on a boat are those who 'want to live on a boat'. Those that want a cheap 'floating flat' generally fall by the wayside fairly quickly - particularly if it is a 'hard' winter and, they are frozen in and having to carry toilet contents miles along the towpath to empty them, and on the return trip gas bottles and full water carriers .

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Living on a boat is rarely more cost effective than living in a house eg the cost of liveaboard moorings could well run to £1000 per month (in the South) and the cost of utilities will be higher.

Maintenance cost will generally be higher on a boat and you will suffer depreciation whilst a house will generally appreciate in value.

You could always CC and save the mooring fees but unless you understand the 'rules' and, if you are working, have health problems,' family needs' or schooling in the area then it can be difficult to comply.

You would need a mooring for your cruiser and if you are ccing then you need to consider methods of getting back to your cruiser.

You may make a small saving if you currently have a mortgage on the house and can pay cash up front for the boat.

Generally the only people who 'make it work' living on a boat are those who 'want to live on a boat'. Those that want a cheap 'floating flat' generally fall by the wayside fairly quickly - particularly if it is a 'hard' winter and, they are frozen in and having to carry toilet contents miles along the towpath to empty them, and on the return trip gas bottles and full water carriers .

It's enthusiasm for the canals which attracts me to the idea, but I'm wary about the whole canal life and experience becoming 'normal' and a chore if I was to go ahead with something like this. I don't currently have a mortgage or a house, so I'd be starting from scatch. Wouldn't be possible to CC, so it'd have to be a home liveaboard mooring in the North West. I thought about liveaboard moorings on the Bridgewater (which I'm guessing are cheaper?), are there many places available?

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

It's enthusiasm for the canals which attracts me to the idea, but I'm wary about the whole canal life and experience becoming 'normal' and a chore if I was to go ahead with something like this. I don't currently have a mortgage or a house, so I'd be starting from scatch. Wouldn't be possible to CC, so it'd have to be a home liveaboard mooring in the North West. I thought about liveaboard moorings on the Bridgewater (which I'm guessing are cheaper?), are there many places available?

There are several forum members either based on, or have plenty of Bridgewater experience, I'm sure they will be along soon to give you all the info.

But just remember that if you are on the Bridgewater then you will have a Bridgewater licence, and should you go for a cruise onto C&RT waters you will need to buy a C&RT boat licence

5 hours ago, blackrose said:

For those who like to live on them... 

Blimey so that's why you are a genius!! I would never have been able to work that one out and silly me thought that those who didn't want to live on them would still love it, I learn something new from the forum genius squad every single day.