New 3 mobile internet 100GB

Larentia

Featured Posts

Haven't seen this posted yet...

Three have started a new 12 month contract for 100GB a month for £30. Includes Huawei B310-s modem (needs power, no battery) and a thing called Go Binge which means you can stream Netflix, TV Player & a few other things and it won't affect your data allowance.

• Greenie 1

EE is best where I am - I have 50GB a month with them too which I need for work, esp. for uploading. 3 is half the download speed but still a more than ok 8mbps upload though I'll prob. improve it with an external aerial. 

Edited by Larentia

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We have a 3 & an EE phone we have found that on the canals the 3 reception is many, many times better coverage than the EE one.

And here 3 is absolootely zero coverage within a mile or more and EE is crap wheras I am typing this here on 4g via 02 from my boat. ONLY 02 and giff gaff work here 99 percent of the time followed by EE some of the time. The boat moored directly behind me uses EE but it doesn't work on my boat, jeeees and yes you've guessed it with all things to do with " Progress " reception is gradualy getting worse here.

1 hour ago, Larentia said:

Three have started a new 12 month contract for 100GB a month for £30. Includes Huawei B310-s modem (needs power, no battery) and a thing called Go Binge which means you can stream Netflix, TV Player & a few other things and it won't affect your data allowance.

No mention of this on their website yet. ISTR you mentioning elsewhere it is only for personal shoppers in their high street outlets. 

I'm allergic to shopping and my experience of going into mobile phone shops is simply awful. So for now I'll have to carry on paying £15 a month for a ridiculously small 5gb until that contract runs out...

OTOH, I've nothing else to do today!

27 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

And here 3 is absolootely zero coverage within a mile or more and EE is crap wheras I am typing this here on 4g via 02 from my boat. ONLY 02 and giff gaff work here 99 percent of the time followed by EE some of the time. The boat moored directly behind me uses EE but it doesn't work on my boat, jeeees and yes you've guessed it with all things to do with " Progress " reception is gradualy getting worse here.

But you do live in one of the two most notorious communication black spots on the canal system so what do you expect :D.

It could be worse, you could live at Consall Forge.

..............Dave

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Larentia said:

I recently took out a 12 month contract with Three for 40gb per month and it came with that B310 modem, but because it has to be plugged in I still use the little Huawei mi-fi and it works fine so you don't have to use the modem if powering it is an issue.

As for network coverage, it isn't brilliant where I'm based and there are obviously some locations where it's poor as is the case with other providers. Each has their stronger and weaker areas. But I've very rarely had a problem getting a signal when travelling throughout the network. I originally chose Three because the consensus on this forum was that it was the best for general coverage around the canal system and it's proved to be right in my experience. 

52 minutes ago, dmr said:

But you do live in one of the two most notorious communication black spots on the canal system so what do you expect :D.

It could be worse, you could live at Consall Forge.

..............Dave

Jeeeeees is it worse there? :o

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Jeeeeees is it worse there? :o

Between us and our boaty friend we had internet dongle on 3 and mobile phones on three other networks, none had any signal at all. Had to climb to top of hill to make phone calls.

Had some urgent internet stuff to get done so only option was to go to pub as soon as it opened at 11am. Turned into a very very alcoholic few days.

..............Dave

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Ah, that's interesting, I was looking at 3, I wonder what's best for the majority of the south oxford

7 minutes ago, Heffalump said:

Ah, that's interesting, I was looking at 3, I wonder what's best for the majority of the south oxford

Deffo 02

18 minutes ago, dmr said:

Between us and our boaty friend we had internet dongle on 3 and mobile phones on three other networks, none had any signal at all. Had to climb to top of hill to make phone calls.

Had some urgent internet stuff to get done so only option was to go to pub as soon as it opened at 11am. Turned into a very very alcoholic few days.

..............Dave

So that's why you moored there :D

In response to the 4GB for £15 comment.

I have a SIM only 30 day rolling contract with Virgin, (4G plan) that gives 4GB +2GB bonus (which they can obviously cancel at any time) with last month unused rollover.  As mobile data is only used on the boat I normally end up with 10GB at the start of each billing period. Not a huge amount granted but at least reasonalbe and with the option to get out with no penalty if I get a better offer.

With a 'fixed' data limit I am free to tether from my mobile phone to laptop / tablet too.

Nothing spectacular I admit, but may be an option for others should they wish to take a look at Virgin's tariffs.

7 minutes ago, Ratkatcher said:

In response to the 4GB for £15 comment.

I have a SIM only 30 day rolling contract with Virgin, (4G plan) that gives 4GB +2GB bonus (which they can obviously cancel at any time) with last month unused rollover.  As mobile data is only used on the boat I normally end up with 10GB at the start of each billing period. Not a huge amount granted but at least reasonalbe and with the option to get out with no penalty if I get a better offer.

With a 'fixed' data limit I am free to tether from my mobile phone to laptop / tablet too.

Nothing spectacular I admit, but may be an option for others should they wish to take a look at Virgin's tariffs.

I use virgin as well.  It may help to know that virgin uses the ee network.  My win 8 phone would tether just fine, but after upgrading to win 10 it doesn't, I was told that one of the new features with win10 is when you put the phone into tether mode the phone 'asks' the network if this is ok.  Network said 'No'.

I read the same recently somewhere else about Win 10 on mobiles - I suppose a no response makes sense in a twisted way :rolleyes:

Same as the desktop Win 10 will disregard the 'metered connection' exclusion for 'essential' updates - could be a nasty surprise if a tethered laptop decided to install the newly released 'feature update', a couple of GB down the drain for no apparent visual difference apart from start menu (right click) changes.

I use both 3 and EE. (3 on phone contract & EE for MiFI) EE still have a better LTE network on the whole across the UK although like any network, they do have black spots.

Just performing a speed test here in the middle of the countryside:

3: (£50 p/m 30GB data incl. tethering & iPhone 7)        EE: (64GB data sim only - £28 p/m - used in a MiFI device purchased separately)

IMG_0171.PNGIMG_0172.PNG

While 3 are certainly not bad, I think I will keep my EE plan for now.

But simple speed tests don't mean much, as we travel around we note a huge variation in the speed of three, and this is speed of actual use rather than any speed test software.

And not only does in vary from place to place but it also varies from moment to moment. In most places early evening is really slow, I wonder if most people watch a quick movie or do some serious e-baying as soon as they get home from work?

Good theoretical speeds mean very little if the network is overloaded.

................Dave

16 minutes ago, dmr said:

In most places early evening is really slow, I wonder if most people watch a quick movie or do some serious e-baying as soon as they get home from work?

I see that at home too. I have 120mbps from Virgin and I've regularly measured it at around 100 during the day. It's slower at lunch time and MUCH slower at tea time, gradually speeding up towards midnight. 

On 12/08/2017 at 19:33, dmr said:

But simple speed tests don't mean much, as we travel around we note a huge variation in the speed of three, and this is speed of actual use rather than any speed test software.

And not only does in vary from place to place but it also varies from moment to moment. In most places early evening is really slow, I wonder if most people watch a quick movie or do some serious e-baying as soon as they get home from work?

Good theoretical speeds mean very little if the network is overloaded.

................Dave

Yes I notice an effect I call 'latency'. Click on something and there is a delay while the DNS sorts out a route to get there and establishes a connection. The length of this delay seems entirely unrelated to the download speed once the connection is made.

Files might download in a flash but if it takes 20 seconds for the page download to begin, a fast connection isn't a great deal of use. Not for browsing anyway. 

8 hours ago, Heffalump said:

We just went from Oxford to Napton and never failed to get usable internet with a 4G capable router on EE.

MP.

On 12/08/2017 at 20:24, MoominPapa said:

We just went from Oxford to Napton and never failed to get usable internet with a 4G capable router on EE.

MP.

What? Even in Lower Heyford, the best known canal internet blackspot?!

Have they finally put a mast up or something perhaps?