Electrics set up inc. incinerator toilet!

Peppers

Featured Posts

Just now, IanD said:

So do you know how much of the gas the toilet uses?

Roughly £20 per week (half a 13kg bottle) for gas just for cooking and toilet is one hell of a lot, and I suspect the vast majority is being used by the toilet...

We only use gas for cooking - including baking and full roast dinners, not just warming stuff up - and if we use three bottles a year it's a lot!

https://www.leesan.com/shop/cinderella-motion-incinerator-toilet.aspx

Says it uses 110g of propane per flush.

26 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

We only use gas for cooking - including baking and full roast dinners, not just warming stuff up - and if we use three bottles a year it's a lot!

https://www.leesan.com/shop/cinderella-motion-incinerator-toilet.aspx

Says it uses 110g of propane per flush.

Which suggest the toilet uses something like 90% of the gas, so about 6kg of gas per week -- which must cost getting on for £1000 a year -- so maybe 3x the cost of a pumpout toilet, which many people already think is expensive.

Also burning propane weighing about a quarter the weight of an average poo (about 450g) to dispose of it seems like the worst possible solution from the environmental point of view (reducing CO2 emissions and fossil fuel use), which is seen as pretty important nowadays by most people... 😞

https://www.livescience.com/61966-how-much-you-poop-in-lifetime.html

==> Actually it's much worse than that, that poo weight is per adult per day, so say 900g per day for 2 people. And to get rid of this the toilet is burning about 900g of propane per day... 😞

Edited by IanD

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Don't forget to account for the special bags required, one for each use of the toilet.

But is that so much worse than toilet paper? Anyway, going by the numbers I suspect the gas use is far worse than either...

I did a rough calculation a while back re gas use for a poo-burner loo, worked out at around a 13Kg bottle every 8 - 10 days for 2 adults. That was using the manufacturers consumption figures. Had to make some assumptions about volumes/frequency etc ...

The cost of gas then meant we'd be looking at £28 a week to use the loo. It will be more now that gas has gone up. Very expensive "convenience" of not emptying a waste tank of some sort.

Edited by PCSB
bad memory ...

3 minutes ago, IanD said:

But is that so much worse than toilet paper? Anyway, going by the numbers I suspect the gas use is far worse than either...

Financially I meant - £50 for 500 bags, so another 10p a go.

The user manual rather than the sales blurb on the linked page says 110 - 150g propane per flush.

14 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Financially I meant - £50 for 500 bags, so another 10p a go.

The user manual rather than the sales blurb on the linked page says 110 - 150g propane per flush.

According to the figures presented the bags cost about £2.50 a week compared to about £18 a week for gas -- total £20 a week, or £1000 per year. Ouch... 😞

But even if you can afford it, burning 1kg of fossil-fuel propane to dispose of 1kg of poo... 😞 😞

Edited by IanD

10 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

How do you square that against people who burn 5lts diesel moving a boat every day of the year when there is absolutely no reason to cruise other than you want to.

If you want/need to move a boat, there are no real alternatives today to burning diesel.

If you want/need to dispose of poo, there are many other ways to do it which don't involve burning 1kg of propane per 1kg of poo.