Art Deco on the Canal

Heartland

Featured Posts

On 12/08/2020 at 11:44, cuthound said:

Found some images of the exterior of "Turnothworld", but unfortunately none of the art deco interior.

Apparently built by Roger Fuller in 1998. I remember mooring next to the (probably then) owners who showed me round it.

SDC14111.JPG

IMG_7576_thumb4.jpg

The exterior doesn't look very art deco to me?

On 13/08/2017 at 17:49, BWM said:

One of the best art deco interiors i've seen was in the Gillette building on the A4 at isleworth-I dread to think what was lost in the other glorious buildings on that short stretch of road that were demolished. 

One of the most iconic on the Brentford art deco Golden Mile was the Firestone tyre factory which was demolished on a bank holiday in 1980 shortly before a preservation order was due to be put on it.

image.png.8bd56ba730d430e909f147061c15bee4.png

Edited by blackrose
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Pluto said:

You've not read my book on L&LC Brightwork, as the more colourful aspects may have originated in Pugin's Gothic Revival style which marked the beginning of the changes to architectural and art styles which resulted in Art Nouveau. Pugin built Scarisbrick Hall which is alongside the L&LC, and he encouraged local craftsmen to develop their skills. The decorative work on L&LC boats reached its peak around 1910, and seems to have developed from around 1860, when Pugin was building the Hall.

You're quite right Pluto, I haven't read your book and I know little of L&L boat paintwork - I'd like to know more so a purchase may be in order

On 12/08/2020 at 17:07, magpie patrick said:

I'd be intrigued to see an Art Deco lock, or even an Art Nouveau one... 

That might be a funding wheeze for someone

But I actually asked about an Art Deco lock.... 

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

The exterior doesn't look very art deco to me?

No, it was the interior that was art deco.

Lots of 1930's lighting, statuettes and ornaments. They were collected by the passionate owners.

Lovely interior.

We had a three piece Art Deco Bergère suite by Ercol on Owl.  We had to include it in the sale because we couldn't get it out of the cabin, having put it on board before lining out the interior.

On our present boat we've gone all 30s with a Le Corbusier sofa and Mies van der Rohe chair. (Copies, I hasten to add - couldn't possibly afford originals)

I've flown in D/H Dragon Rapide's a couple of times from Lands End airport in the 1960's. Amazing machines, being a bi-plane they just soar up into the sky like a kite. Two Gypsy 6 inverted air cooled engines, nice and simple. Tiger Moth had one Gypsy 4.

Aeroplane joke,,,                ''Biggles flies undone''.

Edited by bizzard

5 hours ago, Derek R. said:

The De Havilland DH. 89 Dragon Rapide, and the Lockheed L-1049 Super Constellation always looked like art, whether on the ground or in the air.

The Rapide at the DeHavilland museum night not be flying for while ?

144 Dehavilland Museum 13th August 2020.JPG

A boat, possibly widebeam, passed us today named Art Deco. With a For Sale sign in the window.

On 17/08/2017 at 07:39, NickF said:

Does this count?

download.jpg.b79cddbce885bae51985027ef1c1c13f.jpg

Yer tiz! From a post yonks ago.

Edited by Nightwatch

4 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

The Rapide at the DeHavilland museum night not be flying for while ?

Wow! Even wooden jacks! It does look rather 'shed' like. I'm tempted to go looking for Balsa wood!

I believe they are one of the most safest planes that have been in passenger service.

Edited by Derek R.

14 hours ago, bizzard said:

I've flown in D/H Dragon Rapide's a couple of times from Lands End airport in the 1960's. Amazing machines, being a bi-plane they just soar up into the sky like a kite.

Me too - in fact my first flight was in one. I think that by that time (early 1960s) they were the only biplanes remaining in passenger service with B.E.A. They had survived, so we were told, because of the steep climbing which you mention, as there was a high cliff at one end of the runway at the Scilly Islands airport (which may have been called St. Mary's, or perhaps Hugh Town?) and they were able to climb quickly enough to miss it.

As I recall, they carried just eight passengers. Before take-off, the pilot (the only crew member) came round and handed out boiled sweets from a tray. That was the extent of the in-flight catering.

11 hours ago, bizzard said:

The two at Duxford.

OIP.RaxIvQYR_o6Y8Ppnr5bOWwHaE8.jpg

OIP.udsNkboysIzksiRlOcVbjgHaE6.jpg

I have flown from Duxford in the top one, great sensation and nice wicker chairs, landing on a grass strip was good as well, I later took my wife's grandchildren up in it as a treat, their Mum was not amused and considered the plane 'totally unsafe'.........great planes, great flying experience

12 hours ago, Derek R. said:

Three rail tin-plate track - haven't seen that for a while!

That photo does bring back memories! I had Trix Twin but my best friend had Hornby-Dublo, and I remember those buildings on his layout. I'm not sure the prototypes were ever orange and cream though.

14 hours ago, Derek R. said:

Three rail tin-plate track - haven't seen that for a while!

I had a Hornby Dublo "Duchess of Montrose" train set ad a child. I hated it, because of the unrealistic third rail and Father Christmas replaced it with a Triang twin rail set.

Many years later I went to the National Railway Museum in York, they had the Hornby Dublo "Duchess of Montrose" on display in a cabinet.

22 hours ago, Ray T said:

As we seen to have drifted away from canals, another form of transport.

The Hornby Dublo range of buildings. Based on Southern Railway Art Deco architecture I believe.

16575667190_c2c5c17979_o.jpg

49926164373_bf38151200_b.jpg

Also this little lot:
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/dukesalley/art-deco-posters-train/

Gold medal to Ray for finding an aesthetic in Woking.

• Haha 1