Master switches location

jddevel

Featured Posts

As it is stated that master switches/isolators should be as close to the batteries as possible is the following a problem. 

1) Battery bank in engine room with the exception of bow thruster batteries which are in the bow Thruster isolator also in the bow.

2) Link leisure batteries to a 650amp  busbars in the engine room with obviously separate 50mm cables.

3) 95mm cable from bus bars to electric in dedicated electric cupboard in the cabin (about half a metre away)

4) Master battery isolator and VSR in this cupboard.

5) From isolator refered to in 4) to separate isolators to suit remainder of 12volt wiring.

The point I`m asking really is it suitable/acceptable to fit the master switches in the electric cupboard whilst it could be in the engine room but obviously less accessible. I hope I`ve made sense and am understanding the requirements correctly.

1 hour ago, jddevel said:

The point I`m asking really is it suitable/acceptable to fit the master switches in the electric cupboard whilst it could be in the engine room but obviously less accessible. I hope I`ve made sense and am understanding the requirements correctly.

Yes, but as Robbo points out, as it's a 'run' of cable and the isolators aren't adjacent to the batteries the main 95mm2 positive cable should be fused right next to the busbar. 

1 hour ago, jddevel said:

As it is stated that master switches/isolators should be as close to the batteries as possible is the following a problem. 

1) Battery bank in engine room with the exception of bow thruster batteries which are in the bow Thruster isolator also in the bow.

2) Link leisure batteries to a 650amp  busbars in the engine room with obviously separate 50mm cables.

3) 95mm cable from bus bars to electric in dedicated electric cupboard in the cabin (about half a metre away)

4) Master battery isolator and VSR in this cupboard.

5) From isolator refered to in 4) to separate isolators to suit remainder of 12volt wiring.

It would probably be ok, however... Given the compromise between accessibility and proximity to the batteries, I would choose proximity over accessibility. It is highly unlikely that you will need to turn the master off in a hurry. But when carrying out any electrical work you want to be sure the wiring is "cold". If you have the master switch in the electrical cupboard and turn it off to do some work, you still have a live battery +ve stud in the electrical cabinet. If you really want to put the switch there, as suggested fit a 500A fuse next to the busbar. Or consider something like a Mastervolt Mastershunt (which is what we have) which has a built in 500A fuse. Combined with a Masterview Easy this gives you a good AH counting SoC indicator. Maybe not worth it though, unless you are going for Mastervolt Combi.

Edited by nicknorman

Mine is as you intend doing it. I don't have a clue what size the able is but its huge about as thick as my finger? We have a great cupboard with all leccy stuff in no need even to kneel down with all the stuff behind a large cupboard door our last mot inspector was mightily impressed. As to accessibility mine are much easier than even having to lift a deckboard but realy don't need to be. If you are going to liveaboard especialy off grid you will never isolate them unless working on something. If a hobby boater then you may turn them all off every time you leave the boat its the  same with the gas. we never turn ours off.

13 hours ago, Robbo said:

fuse from busbar to 95mm cable.

13 hours ago, WotEver said:

Yes, but as Robbo points out, as it's a 'run' of cable and the isolators aren't adjacent to the batteries the main 95mm2 positive cable should be fused right next to the busbar. 

Yes sorry forgot that. BlueSea 500amp following previous advice. Plus as Robbos` previous suggestion Isolator is accompanied with a BlueSea VSR. So should have read 50amp to busbar to 500amp fuse to electric cupboard with 95mm.

22 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Mine is as you intend doing it. I don't have a clue what size the able is but its huge about as thick as my finger? We have a great cupboard with all leccy stuff in no need even to kneel down with all the stuff behind a large cupboard door our last mot inspector was mightily impressed. As to accessibility mine are much easier than even having to lift a deckboard but realy don't need to be. If you are going to liveaboard especialy off grid you will never isolate them unless working on something. If a hobby boater then you may turn them all off every time you leave the boat its the  same with the gas. we never turn ours off.

As a hobby boater we never turn off our electrics but we do switch off the gas every time we have used it. Even when we are onboard. 

Not sure why. We have just always been in the habit of doing so.

We used to switch off the gas until someone asked me why. With all the safety features of a boat gas installation I couldn't give a valid answer. So now we leave it on.

We never switch the mechanical battery master off when away from the boat. The bilge pump, mikuni and GSM receiver are left of and the Empirbus system remains powered, but it does have a virtual "Master switch" that ensures everything that should be off, is off. On a time delay so we can vacate and lock the boat before the lights go out.