Our new adventure day 20

Debs

Featured Posts

Last night we had a peaceful night on the edge of Beale Park in Pangbourne. We played a bit of cards but I still haven't won back what I lost the other night! This morning, when we woke, it was like summer had started! The sun was shining, it was warm and the river was extremely calm. After clearing out the bilge, once again, we set off towards Whitchurch lock. We have many from memories of Whitchurch lock as we spent two days moored up on the lock staging after our propeller had decided to go on its own journey without us on the approach to the lock. This was about 6 yrs ago now on the first ever tour of The Thames Ring in our first ever boat. Did it put us off? It would appear not! 

Although the day was bright and sunny, it did tend to get a bit chilly on occasions so the cardigans were on and off more times than an Underground strike!

We journeyed on and hit Reading. It would appear that they're either getting ready for the festival or, it's been and gone and nobody thought to take the hoarding down. It really does seem to go on for miles. I suspect they don't want people sneaking in without paying to get cold, wet and muddy.  I was pleasantly surprised to see that there were actually moorings outside Tesco today. Usually, this is so clogged up with, dare I say it?, long termers, that you can't get moored there for love nor money. However, today was different! Unfortunately, today, we had already stocked up with everything we needed. Except wine! I forgot that I needed more wine! Bugger! Still, never mind, I still had a little bit left to last until we stopped for the night assuming we don't stop in the middle of nowhere. Although, we did that yesterday and I don't do cooking two nights on the trot! 

We decided to crack on as it was such a lovely day. We had bacon baguettes on the move so didn't need to stop for lunch. It has to be said that the further down the Thames you go, the bigger and whiter the boats get. Narrowboats definitely become the abnormality unfortunately. Eventually, we came to Henley. We saw our old boat moored up in its new home and found our own overnight moorings through the lock and further down the river. After sitting on the back of the boat in our directors chairs (any bit of sunshine at all and they are coming out!) we ventured into town. The first stop was Sainsbury's to get wine. We then went to Wetherspoons to see if their app works. It does by the way! On the way back to the boat, we noticed that red diesel here is £1.43 ltr. that is totally outrageous when you consider we paid 65p ltr on the Grand Union Canal. We are now sat at the front of the boat listening to the drago boats practicing and watching the sun setting  over the water. We have made friends with the local geese and fed them so much bread and toffee muffins that I expect they may well explode! (Only joking if you're an avid ornithologist who thinks that birds should only eat peas and seeds)! 

I have no doubt that we will back to gloomy weather tomorrow so I intend to enjoy the evening on the front of the boat, with a glass in my hand watching the world drift by.

IMG_2874.JPG

IMG_2877.JPG

IMG_2878.JPG

IMG_2883.JPG

IMG_2891.JPG

IMG_2899.JPG

IMG_9042.JPG

3 hours ago, 8 Hairy Feet said:

I'm really enjoying reading your posts Deb!

You both look so happy:)

Thank you very much. I enjoy writing them. I've been doing it to friends on Faceache or bout 7 yrs now and just tight would broaden my circle a bit. We are happy! We thoroughly enjoy the rivers and canals. Even the dramas are funny in the end! :D x

3 hours ago, bizzard said:

Yes, and a good camera too. Doubt if its a Brownie No 1 box camera.

All the photos are taken with my IPhone 5SE. If I had a decent camera I might have been able to get a picture of a Kingfisher. Cameras are too complicated for me! :rolleyes: x