Getting dogs on and off the boat.

Neil2

Featured Posts

We've had this problem before, dogs get old and less agile, it's ok if you have a wee terrier or similar that you can just pick up and throw ashore but picking up a big lurcher is like trying to manhandle a set of golf clubs without the bag.

We have a trad so use the bow as access on/off most of the time.  Both dogs are getting nervous about alighting these days, and especially when we are not right bang up against the side and this is becoming more of an issue with lack of dredging, maintenance etc.  Neither dog will walk along the boarding plank, but I'm thinking I could arrange some sort of plank/step thingy to get them from the front well over the gunnel.  Just looking for ideas really, or maybe there is also some ready made device that might work?  I'm sure there must be other members that have had similar difficulties, or should we just buy a different boat?

Edited by Neil2

What about a couple of small steps (like  caravan steps)  and put one in the well deck to enable the dog get up to gunwale height and the other on the towpath which the dog steps down onto. Might need a bit of tuition on the lead before the dog gets the hang of it but I think it would work

Haggis

Edited by haggis

I have this worry also Neil. I have a large german shepherd who is not terribly agile. He has cow hocked back legs which make him a bit clumsy. He is certainly not a jumper. I will be looking for a cruiser stern as my boat of choice as access looks to be easier from the stern.

As Haggis says. We carry a fold away set of caravan steps, you would probably need two sets. Both of our large last two dogs got used to them and this dog as yet is fine without them. I agree cruiser stern is the way to go though. We also have to use the front of this particular boat all the time and its far from ideal even for me with my knees :)

Yes the caravan steps idea  might work, it is complicated by the presence of fixed storage lockers either side of the front well though.  

I've had to start giving this serious thought since one of ours managed to fall into the water trying to get off the boat himself a few weeks back.  He caught himself on the pontoon edge on the way down and was badly injured.  He's ok now but it's been a worry ever since.

The easiest boat for dogs was one we hired a few years back when we were between boats, it had a "squared" cruiser stern and steps down to the cabin rather than the ladder arrangement.  Absolute piece of cake compared to our present boat and if I could find the right vessel with such an arrangement I'd probably go for it.

39 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Yes the caravan steps idea  might work, it is complicated by the presence of fixed storage lockers either side of the front well though.  

I've had to start giving this serious thought since one of ours managed to fall into the water trying to get off the boat himself a few weeks back.  He caught himself on the pontoon edge on the way down and was badly injured.  He's ok now but it's been a worry ever since.

The easiest boat for dogs was one we hired a few years back when we were between boats, it had a "squared" cruiser stern and steps down to the cabin rather than the ladder arrangement.  Absolute piece of cake compared to our present boat and if I could find the right vessel with such an arrangement I'd probably go for it.

We have fixed lockers either side too. The caravan step enables the dog to get onto the top of the locker which puts their head above gunwale height. With a bit of coaxing they can then step over and down onto the top of the other step.

haggis

2 minutes ago, haggis said:

We have fixed lockers either side too. The caravan step enables the dog to get onto the top of the locker which puts their head above gunwale height. With a bit of coaxing they can then step over and down onto the top of the other step.

haggis

This may work fine if against a pontoon or armco, but what if a gangplank is required due to not being close to the bank.?

35 minutes ago, AllanC said:

This may work fine if against a pontoon or armco, but what if a gangplank is required due to not being close to the bank.?

Ah, that's not so easy! if we can't get both ends into the bank, the bow goes in to help the dogs and me :-) 

haggis

When I hire I try and get a cruiser stern to make it easier, one problem she does have is lack of grip as her paws slide as she tries to jump off the deck. I don't know whether the OP has non slip gunnels or a non slip surface on the bench / locker in the well deck assuming there is one. Just something for the dogs paws / claws to get a bit of traction on may help.

Have you tried training the dogs to use the boarding plank, may be with it on the ground to start and then with the boat moored close in until they get used to it ...... I had some success that way with a dog ramp for the car, lots of stepping on it on the ground and up slight inclines before she would use it for the car,

Good luck!

Some useful ideas there, thanks to all who replied.  I've looked at those steps that turn into a ramp which might work, I suppose I was hoping to find someone who has actually employed one of these devices on a narrowboat.  

The tug deck idea is something else I've considered, the problem with any sort of bow access is there is always a gap as the bow curves away from the side and my dogs seem very talented at falling down this gap.  One of them I have fished out several times now as she just doesn't seem to be able to judge the distance anymore.  When we had a cruiser we never had any of this drama, but actually getting the dogs on deck was the problem as it was a big drop with ladder style access.  Like a lot of others on this forum I'm still looking for the perfect boat..

4 hours ago, Neil2 said:

That was probably a Calcutt boat then, also had square boxes on the stern corners for gas bottles.

Steve

IMG_0150-450x300.jpg

4 minutes ago, sharpness said:

That was probably a Calcutt boat then, also had square boxes on the stern corners for gas bottles.

Steve

IMG_0150-450x300.jpg

Wasn't a Calcutt boat but we used to moor at their marina and I must admit I have a fondness for the design of their "Clipper" boats some of which are in the hire fleet.  I particularly like the gas bottles being at the stern because apart from the ease of access it frees up the locker at the bow which becomes the integral water tank which is high up with a hinged lid and easy peasy to keep clean. 

2 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Wasn't a Calcutt boat but we used to moor at their marina and I must admit I have a fondness for the design of their "Clipper" boats some of which are in the hire fleet.  I particularly like the gas bottles being at the stern because apart from the ease of access it frees up the locker at the bow which becomes the integral water tank which is high up with a hinged lid and easy peasy to keep clean. 

We used to use  2 club boats from NWBSC in an earlier life that were moored at Calcutt, we always had lovely holidays on those boats, as long as you didn't need to put the Alde on!!

Steve

1 hour ago, Neil2 said:

actually getting the dogs on deck was the problem as it was a big drop with ladder style access.   

I don't think my dog would cope with steep steps either. He has no problem with stairs though. I very much favour this kind of arrangment.

stern steps.JPG

7 hours ago, AllanC said:

I have this worry also Neil. I have a large german shepherd who is not terribly agile. He has cow hocked back legs which make him a bit clumsy. He is certainly not a jumper. I will be looking for a cruiser stern as my boat of choice as access looks to be easier from the stern.

we had a GSD who was always hopeless on a plank, we even tried him with one which was over 2' wide but was no good on it.

I made a plank with sides to prevent him from looking which seemed to help

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

In 2013 after or 6 year old cross Labrador had had a knee operation, we bought a cruiser stern boat with gradual stairs rather than a ladder, and going from the stern into the cabin on the starboard side rather than the middle. Although the operation was a success and she was quite agile we knew she would suffer in later life and now she is older it has proved to be a good decision. 

Another option would be to buy a dog life jacket with a handle at each end. We bought one for a cabin cruiser holiday on the Caledonean Canal and it was fairly easy to lift our 28kg dog off and on the boat with it. It's a bit of a pain putting it on and off your dog (although ours was happy to wear it all the time) but it might save you changing your boat. If you get one make sure it has the 2 handles because we tried a one handled one and it was prone to tilting the dog either forwards or backwards which she didn't like!

12 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Some useful ideas there, thanks to all who replied.  I've looked at those steps that turn into a ramp which might work, I suppose I was hoping to find someone who has actually employed one of these devices on a narrowboat.  

The tug deck idea is something else I've considered, the problem with any sort of bow access is there is always a gap as the bow curves away from the side and my dogs seem very talented at falling down this gap.  One of them I have fished out several times now as she just doesn't seem to be able to judge the distance anymore.  When we had a cruiser we never had any of this drama, but actually getting the dogs on deck was the problem as it was a big drop with ladder style access.  Like a lot of others on this forum I'm still looking for the perfect boat..

The perfect boat doesn't exist. All boats by design must be a compromise in some way. I think you are right in thinking cruiser stern with dogs that are getting older. Having owned all three of the main style sterns I have found over my years that dog ownership with a cruiser stern is a far better scenario.

Our labrador had a operation on her cruciate two years ago, so we bought a ramp to help her get onto the deck from the galley (we have a cruiser stern with a ladder arrangement). This worked really well and although she's fine again now and able to jump up the ladder, we still keep the ramp on board tucked up under the gunnels because when she's older she'll need it again.

https://www.easyanimal.co.uk/deluxe-telescopic-dog-ramp.html#.WY19mVF97IU

Whilst a tug front is easier for the dog to get on and off the boat you have an extra problem of getting the dog on and off the tug deck and onto the cabin floor. If you can get boats adapted for disabled people with lifts and doors in the actual gunwale then you could do this for the dog