Charges for the Bridgewater Canal

jellybeano

Featured Posts

On 11/08/2017 at 19:37, frangar said:

Has anyone actually been apprehended and ask to pay yet though? And what's happened to the various lobbying inc CRT and the IWA that was going on? 

There is quite some movement from IWA, CaRT, and individual boaters. Recommendations from the IWA, I understand, call for representations to be made to your MP [if locally resident].

The query has been raised whether Peel are entitled to charge anything at all for pleasure boats transiting the canal. Nothing I have seen thus far from quoted legislation would suggest that they [legally] can.

1 minute ago, NigelMoore said:

There is quite some movement from IWA, CaRT, and individual boaters. Recommendations from the IWA, I understand, call for representations to be made to your MP [if locally resident].

The query has been raised whether Peel are entitled to charge anything at all for pleasure boats transiting the canal. Nothing I have seen thus far from quoted legislation would suggest that they [legally] can.

If that's the case there'll be a fair few boaters asking for a refund. I hope they all do.

9 hours ago, Liam said:

To be fair the elsan point at Lymm is provided by the pub, so can't really be included, no excuse for not finding the Worsley services as it has a "Toilets" sign above!

When I called at the Worsley services a couple of months ago it was all closed up. 

Whenever I have passed the Worsely the services have looked very closed, but maybe a BW key opens them????

The long term moorings in Manchester (Castlefield) are on the better side, and as Manchester was always almost full, with only half the moorings available things can only be worse. When we went in July it was totally full. The long term moorings (mostly empty boats) have rather detracted from the atmosphere at Castlefield and plans for more housing will not help. We have visited every year for the past 7 years (on route to Liverpool), will probably not bother in future.

................Dave

55 minutes ago, dmr said:

Whenever I have passed the Worsely the services have looked very closed, but maybe a BW key opens them????

It used to but they were well and truly closed up when I went through. I walked around trying to find a way in with my key without success.

17 minutes ago, Peter-Bullfinch said:

Please can you describe the location of the Elsan point in Lymm. I had no idea there was a facility there and I've been passing through by boat since I was a lad!

Lymm is provided with capacious rubbish bins on both sides regularly emptied by the council.

Me neither, yet I've always used the one at Lloyd bridge no. 24 up the passage by the house.

21 minutes ago, rgreg said:

It used to but they were well and truly closed up when I went through. I walked around trying to find a way in with my key without success.

Me neither, yet I've always used the one at Lloyd bridge no. 24 up the passage by the house.

I used the Worsely ones and the BW key fits the grill across the front door facing the canal

3 hours ago, Peter-Bullfinch said:

Please can you describe the location of the Elsan point in Lymm. I had no idea there was a facility there and I've been passing through by boat since I was a lad!

Lymm is provided with capacious rubbish bins on both sides regularly emptied by the council.

It's in a door on the pub car park. As I recall go down the steps...across the car park and it's a black door ahead of you with a CRT Yale lock. Someone else might give better directions! 

1 hour ago, frangar said:

It's in a door on the pub car park. As I recall go down the steps...across the car park and it's a black door ahead of you with a CRT Yale lock. Someone else might give better directions! 

Many thanks for this. I'll search it out on our way back this Autumn.

One more Elsan point is at Thorn Marine  in Stockton Heath just down the side of the chandlers shop. 

I usually pop into the shop....there is always something  I need...

2 hours ago, Peter-Bullfinch said:

One more Elsan point is at Thorn Marine  in Stockton Heath just down the side of the chandlers shop. 

Didn't know about that either.

The shop is spot on however, need to go again.

Daniel

1 hour ago, Peter-Bullfinch said:

Thorn Marine is an excellent stop for diesel and just about anything else you are likely to need. It is run by a lovely couple who have been there for years and always have a warm welcome.

Maybe we need a pinned list for all the Bridgewater Facilities. This topic keeps on popping up.

Perhaps the list could begin with the splendid mooring right outside Aldi in Leigh adjacent to the point where the Bridgewater begins.

It may be better done with someone with a keyboard rather than us phone screen tappers.

• 4 weeks later...

Had a look around the Golden Fleece but couldnt really see an obvious Elsan for Lymm. I chatted with my namesake Peter who lives opposite  and he didnt know of one. The young person behind the bar just looked rather confused by my enquiry. 

Peter thought there might have been such a facility possibly at the old wharf now the Lymm Cruising Club in times past.

20170905_172938.jpg

Edited by Peter-Bullfinch

8 minutes ago, Peter-Bullfinch said:

Had a look around the Golden Fleece but couldnt really see an obvious Elsan for Lymm. I chatted with my namesake Peter who lives opposite  and he didnt know of one. The young person behind the bar just looked rather confused by my enquiry. 

Peter thought there might have been such a facility possibly at the old wharf now the Lymm Cruising Club in times past.

20170905_172938.jpg

I think it's the door to the right of the barrels. It's the only one with a CRT Yale lock. If it's not that door it's one about the same size on the pub. There wasn't a sign or anything. Just open it and there's a sluice. 

Yes it's the black door to the right of the barrels, under the guttering.

There is also a handy (non Bridgewater Canal Company) elsan point just further down from you Peter, at Lloyds Bridge, Outrington.

13 hours ago, Liam said:

Yes it's the black door to the right of the barrels, under the guttering.

There is also a handy (non Bridgewater Canal Company) elsan point just further down from you Peter, at Lloyds Bridge, Outrington.

Yay. My memory wasn't failing me! 

Opening the black door behind the steps in the car park of the Golden Fleece in Lymm revealed this today. It was clean and tidy but didn't look that recently used. A couple of crisp packets had blown in. There is no lock on the door, just a slide bolt. 

I imagine calling for a drink in the pub might not go amiss if this is a private Elsan sluice. The pub was closed this morning and I couldn't find anyone to ask. This facility is not listed on the Bridgewater Canal web site listing the facilities available.

The water tap and a piece of hose are there to rinse your container.

One other water tap for boaters passing  is on the west wall of Marsland Road Bridge (34)  in Sale just before you reach the Sale Cruising Club site. Its reasonably easy to tie up there. 

20170906_085241.jpg

Edited by Peter-Bullfinch
  • Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Peter-Bullfinch said:

Opening the black door behind the steps in the car park of the Golden Fleece in Lymm revealed this today. It was clean and tidy but didn't look that recently used. A couple of crisp packets had blown in. There is no lock on the door, just a slide bolt. 

I imagine calling for a drink in the pub might not go amiss if this is a private Elsan sluice. The pub was closed this morning and I couldn't find anyone to ask. This facility is not listed on the Bridgewater Canal web site listing the facilities available.

The water tap and a piece of hose are there to rinse your container.

One other water tap for boaters passing  is on the west wall of Marsland Road Bridge (34)  in Sale just before you reach the Sale Cruising Club site. Its reasonably easy to tie up there. 

20170906_085241.jpg

Glad you found it. Sure it had a lock when I first discovered it. ''Tis a bit of a bizzare location!! 

2 minutes ago, Peter-Bullfinch said:

This water point is also not on the list, because it is a private water point and so should not be used. It is actually the water pointed used when pumping out so wouldnt use it anyway. It is isolated inside the arch when not in use (in use very very infrequently). The nearest water point to Sale is at The Old No 3 in Little Bollington or at Stretford as part of the marina services.