Charges for the Bridgewater Canal

jellybeano

Featured Posts

19 hours ago, jellybeano said:

Does anyone know if the new charging scheme for return trips on the Bridgewater Canal is actually taking place?

If being charged or not, determines if you go or not, then don't go.

I you go and don't get charged treat it as a 'bonus', if you get charged then just log it against the 'cost of  boating' account and enjoy the trip

How about carrying £40 in pennies, just in case. Is that amount legal tender? Then Sonny would have to lug it back to his car, bank etc. I know it would be a PITA collecting it from the bank, but the satisfaction of handing it over, watching him count it, would outweigh that.

18 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

How about carrying £40 in pennies, just in case. Is that amount legal tender? Then Sonny would have to lug it back to his car, bank etc. I know it would be a PITA collecting it from the bank, but the satisfaction of handing it over, watching him count it, would outweigh that.

Pennies are only legal tender up to the amount of 20p.  And even then a vendor is not required to accept legal tender.  For example many small shops have signs saying they do not accept £50 notes. A £50 note is legal tender but they not are legal required ton accept it. 

13 minutes ago, StephenA said:

What's a cheque book? I don't have one - so unless Sonny carries a card reader then its going to be "send me an invoice"

If you nip along to your bank ( they are the people who issue you with your card ) and ask them for some of YOUR money ( its called cash ) then they will give you some so you can pay your way. Its been around for years and doesn't require a card reader or indeed electricity. Its all I ever use and its always accepted everywhere and I always seem to get through the supermarket checkout quicker with it than the person in front of me peeing about with a couple of bits of plastic and a keyboard. Try it sometime.

2 hours ago, Peter-Bullfinch said:

Spend one week on the Bridgewater...a lovely canal....go elsewhere for the next 28 days or more....then return....no charge....repeat as often as you like....still no charge.

Yes, but if your mooring is on CRT waters next to the Bridgewater and want to cruise for the weekend (and another weekend within a month) or indeed for two or three week cruise and returning to your mooring, then this is problematical. 

24 minutes ago, Derek Porteous said:

Yes, but if your mooring is on CRT waters next to the Bridgewater and want to cruise for the weekend (and another weekend within a month) or indeed for two or three week cruise and returning to your mooring, then this is problematical. 

But this is true for lots of other canals. That is why people pay extra for things like Gold Licences and a lot of Bridgewater boats also have a CRT licence.

If you are just passing thru you are unlikely to get charged, if you plan to spend time on the Bridgewater then a charge is not unreasonable.

The charge only applies if you stay more than 7 days (I think) or return in less than 30.

If you are going up to Manchester then up the Rochdale then you can do a loop and so should not need to return within 30 days.

The problem arises if you want to go to Liverpool and back and there is some suggestion that Liverpool is now less popular because of this charge.

We did it last year and did not get caught. This year we spent 12 nights in Liverpool (but had to pay after the first 7) and then came back very slowly so avoided the 30 day return. The canal between Wigan and (just outside) Liverpool is a bit of a hidden gem and so spending time up there was not difficult. Pub at Crooke Hall is rather good.

..........Dave

16 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

But this is true for lots of other canals. That is why people pay extra for things like Gold Licences and a lot of Bridgewater boats also have a CRT licence.

The equivalent of a Gold Licence between the Bridgewater and CRT seems a good idea. I know a lot of Bridgewater boats have a CRT license, but the CRT waters are so much more extensive than vice versa when all that is required is a two/three day transit license to get from Leigh to Preston Brook (or one day in the case of the Rochdale).

Edited by Derek Porteous
Spelling

2 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

I wouldn't mind paying if the Bridgewater had at least one rubbish bin.

And some secure moorings in Manchester rather than trying to make all the even half decent city centre moorings permanent. A few water points in slightly usable locations might be handy too. 

11 hours ago, dmr said:

We did it last year and did not get caught. This year we spent 12 nights in Liverpool (but had to pay after the first 7) and then came back very slowly so avoided the 30 day return. The canal between Wigan and (just outside) Liverpool is a bit of a hidden gem and so spending time up there was not difficult. Pub at Crooke Hall is rather good.

..........Dave

We used to moor at what is now Crooke Marina and we went back there last year ... we'd forgotten just how tranquil the whole stretch is.... admittedly its a bit run down in places but that almost adds to the charm. There are lots of good canalside (or near canalside) pubs too.

3 minutes ago, StephenA said:

We used to moor at what is now Crooke Marina and we went back there last year ... we'd forgotten just how tranquil the whole stretch is.... admittedly its a bit run down in places but that almost adds to the charm. There are lots of good canalside (or near canalside) pubs too.

There is a rumour that Appley lock is getting new gates this winter, though Gathurst (Deans) still looks a bit rough.

Pubs gone a little downhill over the last couple of years, the Slipway is boarded up and rumoured to be up for demolition. The Ship at Haskyne is now pretty much just a restaurant (but there's a great boozer a 7 minute walk away). Gathurst Station is a good building, inside and out, but they really need to get some real ale and turn all those TVs off.

Railway at Parbold as popular as ever, but Crooke Hall is the highlight for me.

A few widebeam offside "residences" appearing which is a little sad.

...........Dave

22 hours ago, dmr said:

There is a rumour that Appley lock is getting new gates this winter, though Gathurst (Deans) still looks a bit rough.

Pubs gone a little downhill over the last couple of years, the Slipway is boarded up and rumoured to be up for demolition. The Ship at Haskyne is now pretty much just a restaurant (but there's a great boozer a 7 minute walk away). Gathurst Station is a good building, inside and out, but they really need to get some real ale and turn all those TVs off.

Railway at Parbold as popular as ever, but Crooke Hall is the highlight for me.

A few widebeam offside "residences" appearing which is a little sad.

...........Dave

We moored in Crooke last night and had an excellent meal in the Crooke Hall Inn. The beer was good too.

Let me correct this for you..

We had some very nice beer in a proper old drinking pub, they also do good and reasonably priced food :D

I rather like that they have two drinking bars and one separate dining room.

...............Dave

On 12/08/2017 at 08:20, Alway Swilby said:

I wouldn't mind paying if the Bridgewater had at least one rubbish bin.

There's 2 bins! One is based in the car park between Midland Chandlers and Claymoore at Preston Brook, the other bin is at Stretford Marina. Both bins are provided by The Bridgewater Canal Company so available for boaters use. 

There is also the council waste disposal site in Stockton Heath available for use. Pedestrian access is restricted but you can pass your bag of refuse to an attendant who will dispose of it for you.

On 12/08/2017 at 08:25, frangar said:

And some secure moorings in Manchester rather than trying to make all the even half decent city centre moorings permanent. A few water points in slightly usable locations might be handy too. 

There's less than half of the moorings in Castlefield designated for private moorings so there's plenty of space for you as a visitor. There's 6 easily accessible water points on the Bridgewater  (7 in total but ones a bit difficult to reach).

For a rundown of services...

Butts Bridge: Toilets, water, elsan

Worsley: Toilets, water, elsan

Castlefield: Toilets, water x2, elsan

Stretford: Toilets, water, elsan, rubbish disposal, shower

Olde No 3: Water

Lymm: Elsan

Preston Brook: Toilets, water, elsan, laundry facilities (coming soon)

Lloyds Bridge at Outrington also provided services, albeit privately and these include elsan, pump out, showers and laundry.

The services are there you just need to know where to find them.

18 minutes ago, Liam said:

There's 2 bins! One is based in the car park between Midland Chandlers and Claymoore at Preston Brook, the other bin is at Stretford Marina. Both bins are provided by The Bridgewater Canal Company so available for boaters use. 

There is also the council waste disposal site in Stockton Heath available for use. Pedestrian access is restricted but you can pass your bag of refuse to an attendant who will dispose of it for you.

There's less than half of the moorings in Castlefield designated for private moorings so there's plenty of space for you as a visitor. There's 6 easily accessible water points on the Bridgewater  (7 in total but ones a bit difficult to reach).

For a rundown of services...

Butts Bridge: Toilets, water, elsan

Worsley: Toilets, water, elsan

Castlefield: Toilets, water x2, elsan

Stretford: Toilets, water, elsan, rubbish disposal, shower

Olde No 3: Water

Lymm: Elsan

Preston Brook: Toilets, water, elsan, laundry facilities (coming soon)

Lloyds Bridge at Outrington also provided services, albeit privately and these include elsan, pump out, showers and laundry.

The services are there you just need to know where to find them.

Have they reopened the Elsan at castlefield? It was closed off last time we were there. And you should get a reward if you find the Elsan at Lymm!...not exactly well signed!...nor worsely unless you know where to look. 

I also disagree with castlefield being less than half. If there's an event by the YHA it's not exactly the best city mooring ever....that's before you get started on the train above you. 

I like the Bridgewater but let's face it Peel don't want boats...just waterside housing

Edited by frangar

3 minutes ago, frangar said:

Have they reopened the Elsan at castlefield? It was closed off last time we were there. And you should get a reward if you find the Elsan at Lymm!...not exactly well signed!...nor worsely unless you know where to look. 

I also disagree with castlefield being less than half. If there's an event by the YHA it's not exactly the best city mooring ever....that's before you get started on the train above you. 

To be fair the elsan point at Lymm is provided by the pub, so can't really be included, no excuse for not finding the Worsley services as it has a "Toilets" sign above!