Mooring naivety

eco-boat

Featured Posts

I'm starting to investigate mooring options. I won't need it for a good six months so I've plenty of time.

I started at the CRT website and due to the location of my work and the width of my boat (widebeam) I've decided to situate the boat around the Trent, Erewash and Soar area. I like the idea of cruising around but I need access to my car so that's not gonna be easy. I also need to fit out the boat so keeping it in one place would be best for that. So I started to look at residential moorings and came across a document by the CRT that was reviewing prices. Useful info but here comes the naivety - they didn't put units on the prices.

I saw a range of prices from £85 to £120, but is this:-

• per boat per year - that would be nice but I'm guessing that's not the right unit
  • per boat per month - £1,020 to £1,440 - still nice but highly unlikely in my opinion
  • per ft length per year (my boat will be 65' long) - £5,520 to £7,800 (£650 per month), Ouch!!!!!!!

Also, there was no explanation of any higher costs being imposed on widebeam boats. Are the mooring charges the same as narrowboats?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Edited by eco-boat

CRT mooring spaces are generally sold by auction these days. The max width of boat you may put on each mooring is stated on the auction particulars. If you win an auction, you pay your winning bid no matter what the width of your boat.

See www.watersidemoorings.com

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

C&RT prices are normally per metre; this looks about right for your figures.

C&RT are currently reviewing how they charge. Currently it is by length only, but they would dearly like to charge by area, i.e. include  a factor for beam.

ETA:  However if this is a genuine residential mooring, your figures could well be per foot!

Edited by dor

1 hour ago, dor said:

C&RT prices are normally per metre; this looks about right for your figures.

C&RT are currently reviewing how they charge. Currently it is by length only, but they would dearly like to charge by area, i.e. include  a factor for beam.

ETA:  However if this is a genuine residential mooring, your figures could well be per foot!

Many of their mooring prices are per berth, not by the metre. Moreover, they often get the lengths wrong. The moorings on the Engine Arm in Smethwjck are all to ft, and all the same price,  but they are advertised at different lengths. According other residents thrre becsuse that was the length of the last boat moored there. We had a moorkngvat Sneyd for a while. It was advertised as 54 ft. I measured it at 58 ft so bid for it and won. Despite our length being registered on our CRT account details it was nevrf queried.