Thetford Spinflo Aspire cooker

Chambo

Featured Posts

We have a Spinflo Aspire cooker fitted in our boat, it is just over three years old, as we don't live on our boat and only use it for holidays the cooker has not had an awful lot of use. In the time we've had it the oven has been a big disappointment, it really does not cook as it should, for example if my wife tries to bake a cake it takes twice as long as it should and the cake on the middle shelf will be raw in the middle. On a recent trip two horse-shoe gammons, one on the top shelf, one on the shelf below (2" lower), top cooked, lower one uncooked. Four hours for a jacket potato! Thetford tell me there is nothing wrong with the oven and it's sold as a 'leisure' cooker and I shouldn't expect it to behave like the cooker at home, well I don't expect it to be the same as our home cooker but I do expect it to cook food. Has anyone else got this cooker? I'd be interested to have you opinions of the oven performance.

3 minutes ago, Chambo said:

We have a Spinflo Aspire cooker fitted in our boat, it is just over three years old, as we don't live on our boat and only use it for holidays the cooker has not had an awful lot of use. In the time we've had it the oven has been a big disappointment, it really does not cook as it should, for example if my wife tries to bake a cake it takes twice as long as it should and the cake on the middle shelf will be raw in the middle. On a recent trip two horse-shoe gammons, one on the top shelf, one on the shelf below (2" lower), top cooked, lower one uncooked. Four hours for a jacket potato! Thetford tell me there is nothing wrong with the oven and it's sold as a 'leisure' cooker and I shouldn't expect it to behave like the cooker at home, well I don't expect it to be the same as our home cooker but I do expect it to cook food. Has anyone else got this cooker? I'd be interested to have you opinions of the oven performance.

I don't have this cooker but they are extracting the urine. My cooker on my boat cooks very well indeed be it a cake or a roast. If the thing is sold as a cooker then you should be able to cook with it jeeeeeeeeeeeeees the cheeky sods.

Gas mark 4 is gas mark 4 ... OK it possibly won't be as big as one at home and it might take longer to get up to temperature but....

According to the specs I can find the oven burner is 1.5Kw (1000 BTU)

Edited by StephenA

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

I don't have this cooker but they are extracting the urine. My cooker on my boat cooks very well indeed be it a cake or a roast. If the thing is sold as a cooker then you should be able to cook with it jeeeeeeeeeeeeees the cheeky sods.

The old cooker we took out when we had the galley done cooked much better than the new one and you're right they are extracting the urine. I've been in touch with citizens advice and they have said my 'beef' is with the supplier not Thetford and it's up to me to prove the cooker is faulty, that might be the case in law but if you could see the email I had from Thetford you'd see how I feel it is with them!

29 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Gas mark 4 is gas mark 4 ... OK it possibly won't be as big as one at home and it might take longer to get up to temperature but....

According to the specs I can find the oven burner is 1.5Kw (1000 BTU)

That's exactly how I feel about it, I appreciate it's not fan assisted but you'd expect the oven to be hot and still cook. When the oven has been on for a while and the thermostat has lowered the gas you can put your hand in the oven and the temperature difference between top and bottom is really noticeable to the point where you can actually leave your hand in at the bottom for considerably longer than at the top.

We had a similar problem with a Stoves 500 dit cooker which we had installed.  It was a great disappointment and didn't seem to reach  the required temperature. This applied to the hob rings as well as the oven. In fact it seemed to get slowly but progressively worse until it suddenly packed up completely one day.

We had a gas engineer come and check it out and he discoverd that the hinged glass top of the cooker had a fault with the gas shut off linkage which cuts off the gas if the glass hob cover isn't fully open. It transpired that the linkage was incorrectly fitted from new and when he adjusted it the cooker was completely transformed and now performs superbly. I see that your cooker has a similar hinged glass top.

One of the factors which also might have affected the glass lid opening fully, and therefore affected the gas shut off valve was the sloping cabin side behind the cooker which may not allow the glass lid to open fully. Perhaps yours might be similarly affected?

Ken

9 hours ago, NB Ellisiana said:

We had a similar problem with a Stoves 500 dit cooker which we had installed.  It was a great disappointment and didn't seem to reach  the required temperature. This applied to the hob rings as well as the oven. In fact it seemed to get slowly but progressively worse until it suddenly packed up completely one day.

We had a gas engineer come and check it out and he discoverd that the hinged glass top of the cooker had a fault with the gas shut off linkage which cuts off the gas if the glass hob cover isn't fully open. It transpired that the linkage was incorrectly fitted from new and when he adjusted it the cooker was completely transformed and now performs superbly. I see that your cooker has a similar hinged glass top.

One of the factors which also might have affected the glass lid opening fully, and therefore affected the gas shut off valve was the sloping cabin side behind the cooker which may not allow the glass lid to open fully. Perhaps yours might be similarly affected?

Ken

Thanks Ken,I'll certainly look into that but the hob and grill are not affected on my cooker and the thermostat on the oven certainly seems to be operating as it should, shutting the gas down when the oven gets up to temperature, it seems to be a zonal issue to me, hot at the top cold at the bottom, but it's certainly something to look at

We have a Thetford Spinflo Caprice MK3 cooker, and the oven only really gets hot on the top shelf.  It's ok for pizza and pie warming, and bits of chicken etc, but nothing like I was expecting given it's price.  It also tends to be a bit cool, so turn the knob a bit higher than the gas mark you want.

If cooking Pizza as an example we put one on the top and one on the middle, when the top one is cooked, we have half each and move the other one up from the middle to the top to finish off.

Ditto, but not Pizza.

From memory the Caprice instructions say you must have a 1" hole in the housing it fits into. On our boat there is a much larger "hole" than that but I suspect that hole is supposed to be in the floor to let gas escape from a caravan.