Flue size reducer

George-Pole

Featured Posts

Hi all. I have bought a widebeam sailaway. It has an insulated flue outlet fitted to the roof which I think will be a problem as the inner pipe is only 4" dia (100mm). All of the stoves I have looked at have a flue outlet of 5" (125mm) or 6" (150mm) dia. Can I put a reducer in place to fit to the roof outlet. From what I have read I can only find mentions of increasing dia from stove to flue not decreasing like I need to do.

Hope this makes sense 

Any advice would be gratefully received.

42 minutes ago, George-Pole said:

From what I have read I can only find mentions of increasing dia from stove to flue not decreasing like I need to do.

Why can't you just turn one of these fittings the other way around?

http://www.snhtradecentre.co.uk/flues-fittings/black-stove-pipe-increaser-4-inch-to-5-inch.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuuT3muPK1QIV8xXTCh3nwAFNEAQYASABEgK8ovD_BwE

Any good fabricator will be able to make you the fitting (& flue) you need if you want mild steel with a decent wall thickness rather than thin vitreous enamel.

8 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Why can't you just turn one of these fittings the other way around?

http://www.snhtradecentre.co.uk/flues-fittings/black-stove-pipe-increaser-4-inch-to-5-inch.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuuT3muPK1QIV8xXTCh3nwAFNEAQYASABEgK8ovD_BwE

Any good fabricator will be able to make you the fitting (& flue) you need if you want mild steel with a decent wall thickness rather than thin vitreous enamel.

That's the thing I don't know if it will be safe that way around, will it still draw properly 

shouldn't be a problem to go from 5" to 4".  May improve draw.

My Stove (Stovax) has a 5 inch collar.  My iron flue is like a bit of soli pipe, with a five inch "socket" end fitted into the stove collar, with a four inch (OD) pipe going up through the ceiling collar.