PRM gearbox stuck in forward!

Featured Posts

My friend is beside herself.  After a panic manoever a couple of weeks ago,  where the morse control was shifted from forward to reverse back to forward quickly,  without a pause in between,  it is now stuck in forward.  Has any one experienced this problem before?  Was it difficult or expensive to fix?  Any info would be appreciated by mechanically minded friends!

Get her to to check the connection where the cable from the morse control joins the lever on the gear box.

The lock nut on mine came loose a while ago, which allowed you to increase the engine RPM but not alter the direction of travel of the boat.

Luckily was an easy fix, just had to adjust the the nut position on the threaded part of the cable and then do up the lock nut.

I hope this makes sense, it's easier to do, than it is to write down.

Which PRM gearbox? There are mechanical ones and hydraulic ones.

Anyway, as a first step, check that when the morse control is moved fwds and reverse, that the operating lever on the side of the gearbox moves. In other words, that the operating cable is not broken or detached.

Have you removed the control cable at the lever on the GB & tried moving the GB lever by hand with the motor running at idle, is it still stuck in forward gear? if it works it's control lever/cable problem, have you checked the GB oil level is that to the full mark?

• Greenie 1