Cable connectors

jddevel

Featured Posts

What is the most suitable way of connecting two different size cables together. In this particular instance I need to connect a 10mm cable ( supply cable from distribution board to a 6mm cable (tails from macerator toilet). Will I be able to fit them into a 30amp Terminal connector (the strip type) and is this acceptable/good practice. Or do I buy ring terminals and fit to a distribution post? Thank you.

Do it properly and fit ring terminals in a small box.

Nobody does

I don't  - but will get around to it someday. A terminal connector is an invention of the Devil. A well laid out installation is a joy to behold.....

If you can arrange for the size change to happen at a bulkhead then a very neat way to achieve it would be with one of these:

http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/blue-sea-systems-terminal-feed-through-power-connector-negative-516-18-studs.html

Otherwise yes, a single terminal distribution post would do it, like this:

http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/positive-power-distribution-post-6mm-small-base.html

Personally I'd use a terminal connector (chocolate block). But then I'm a cowboy at heart! Put ferrules on the cable ends before screwing down and it will be fine.

Has the advantage over posts of not needing further insulation.

Edited by nicknorman

35 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Has the advantage over posts of not needing further insulation.

But wrap it round and round with tape anyway and be sure to use Sellotape because you can't find any insulation tape. 

Then it'll look proper boaty. 

• Greenie 2

I am trying Wago connectors for a similar job, but not sure if they can accommodate 10 sq mm cable? A lot of people on other forums rate the Wago connectors highly.

I am replacing choc blocks with these, as i have never been keen on them for boats. I agree that if using chocs, then best to use ferrules on cable ends, and best to use choc blocks with brass terminals (seen them in chandlers.)

31 minutes ago, WotEver said:

But wrap it round and round with tape anyway and be sure to use Sellotape because you can't find any insulation tape. 

Then it'll look proper boaty. 

What's wrong with masking tape? ;)

Just now, WotEver said:

Oh that would be very good. Be sure to use an old roll though that tears unevenly and oozes its adhesive. 

Cream or blue stuff? ;)

Thinking about it, I have a big roll of parcel tape...

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

Think I'd find a reputable site, this one has the decimal point one place to the right, can't see why you would put a 40mm2 conductor into a connector rated at only 32A !  Should be up to 4mm not 40!

dont think I've seen anything bigger than 6 mm from Wago. The newer 221 connector looks good for boat use on anything up to 4mm

To the op I had the same issue and used a small plastic box to house a couple of male / female insulated crimp connectors making it neat and easy to disconnect if needed in the future (and you will need to with a macerator when wimmins things get chucked in it). The wires were in lengths of flexible convoluted conduit for neatness into the box. 10 mm might be challenge though.

The Wago TOPJOB DiN Rail connector blocks go up to 16mm2

http://global.wago.com/en/products/product-catalog/rail-mounted-terminal-block-systems/topjob-s-rail-mounted-terminal-blocks-push-in-cage-clamp/overview/index.jsp

maybe this link is more useful:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Wago/Wago_Guide.pdf

Edited by WotEver
Changed the link to a more useful one.