Dual lip seals

1agos

Featured Posts

I want to replace the two dual lip seals in my vetus stern gear, the vetus distributors only sell the seals in the housing( about the £90). Does anyone know where I can source the seals separately. 

Thanks

Is this a water lubricated gland? I have one but I can't picture the lip seals... Have you repacked the front of the gland with silicone grease? There is a screw in the top for applying the grease but I prefer to take the front of the gland off and put more in there.

Is your gland dripping? If so it could be that your shaft is worn. I realise it's not what you've asked but first moving the shaft forward or backwards by 5mm may cure the problem. 

image.png.eae13c1a9f08917c627f68cdc6de917e.png

image.png

Edited by blackrose

Yes I keep it well greased . The two lip seals are in the end housing where you put the grease into. The grease goes in between the two seals. I will move the shaft a little while  I'm replacing the seals. At the moment I,m only getting a few drips per trip but I expect that to increase with time.

cheers

To buy the lip seals you need to know the outside diameter, the inside diameter (the same as the shaft diameter) and the thickness of the seal

Give the numbers to a good bearing stockist and they will supply. Or google lip seals and search for some that match.

N

23 hours ago, 1agos said:

Yes I keep it well greased . The two lip seals are in the end housing where you put the grease into. The grease goes in between the two seals. I will move the shaft a little while  I'm replacing the seals. At the moment I,m only getting a few drips per trip but I expect that to increase with time.

cheers

The usual causes of dripping Vetus seals are either the grease hasn't been topped up or the shaft is out of alignment.  If the boat is out of the water and the propshaft removed, if the bearing liner looks shiny on one side then that suggests that the shaft is out of alignment.  It doesn't need to be much.

Definitely easier done out the water- as said take them to a bearing place, I went to Stateline bearings in hemel Hempstead, £2.50 each, too many size variants to say what I used as ones I had previously ordered in preparation for job were wrong size (I found it on a post here somewhere)