Many have their stoves burning yet?

Boat&Bikes

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

20, is 20 is 20 as 14 is 14 is 14 the kind of house has nowt to do with a specific temperature. If you are happy at 20 then that's of course fine but this couple aint sitting in a temperature of 20 no bloomin chance.

We don't sit in temperatures of 20, more like an average of 28, the c/h rarely comes on even in the winter. If I was at work now I'd be wearing a fleece jacket, a hoodie, a long sleeved polo shirt, thick trousers, thermal socks and boots with thick soles. Yesterday I went into town and had to put my winter jacket on, just about to go into the garden - I'll put a jacket on. This house is extremely well insulated, and stays very warm. It's definitely the warmest house I've ever lived in. And I'm a southern softy.

Two different thermometers in my saloon are both telling me it's currently between 21 and 22. 

Not exactly tropical but not arctic either. I reckon it's partly psychological, it's cold outside for the time of year and the rain can be heard on the roof so it seems colder than it actually is.

I reckon by the time I shifted the coal and other stove-related stuff out of the way to get at the chimney I'd have warmed up so much I wouldn't want the stove on anyway.

5 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Not really thecold is it? It's the damp atmosphere, tempted to light fire yesterday but fought against it. 

Drying clothes is an issue in damp weather.

This is spot on. Can feel colder on the boat than it really is when the weather is damp that's why I put the CH on for about half an hour and that was plenty.

I don't know what some of you are on about. It may be cold for the time of year but it's 18C in my boat now. I think it went down to 14C last night. That's hardly cold and it's not damp in my boat. Still, if you feel cold light the stove or put the heating on. Bunch of girls blouses... :lol:

23.5 in mine now. Mind you it has stopped raining and brightened up a bit this afternoon.

If I had the C/H turned on at home (not that I do, it stays off until the end of September unless it gets exceptionally cold) the boiler would be nowhere coming on. I'm no southern softie :)

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

I don't know what some of you are on about. It may be cold for the time of year but it's 18C in my boat now. I think it went down to 14C last night. That's hardly cold and it's not damp in my boat. Still, if you feel cold light the stove or put the heating on. Bunch of girls blouses... :lol:

I agree, 14 degrees is tropical, we have to fling the windows wide open and prepare an ice bath when it gets that hot why do you think we all wear kilts.   

The Finchers were quite suprised to see smoke coming from my chimbly yesterday and me chopping some ash logs.

We had a boat logistics day at Stowe Hill and got quite wet so I lit it up for the evening as the rain just wasn't stopping